Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2015, 04:04   #46

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Are dark hulls hotter?

Early on in this thread, I reported tests done by Oyster on 2 identical boats, one dark blue and one white.

The temp was considerably higher in the dark blue hull.

Further to that point, apparently, Oyster is reluctant to guarantee a dark painted hull because the paint separates/flakes from the undercoat due to temperature differential.

It is basic physics folks.... just like solar water heating systems are black to absorb more heat.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 04:16   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Early on in this thread, I reported tests done by Oyster on 2 identical boats, one dark blue and one white.

Further to that point, apparently, Oyster is reluctant to guarantee a dark painted hull because the paint separates/flakes from the undercoat due to temperature differential.

It is basic physics folks.... just like solar water heating systems are black to absorb more heat.
The devil's advocate in me asks, "If dark surfaces are such a problem, why does Oyster install teak decks on their boats?"
Old 21-02-2015, 04:25   #48

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
The devil's advocate in me asks, "If dark surfaces are such a problem, why does Oyster install teak decks on their boats?"
Because a small minority of very rich yachties don't care about all the aggro.. they pay minions to fix the problems. If you use common sense, teak decks are out.

You enjoying freezing in CHI???? Imagine being in the Bahamas on a nice Amel....
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 04:50   #49

While building my steel trawler, with it's green hull, I noticed just how hot dark steel can get. The boat was hauled to the launch site in two pieces, and due to the order of how things were to get finished, part of the hull had not been insulated so we could fit and weld the wheel house to the hull. When the sun was shining on those November days, the uninsulated, green painted area of the hull, would get so hot on the inside one could not keep your hand on it for too long. An inch away, where we had 2"- 3" of closed cell spray foam, the hull foam was cold.

The boat is heavily insulated with two to three inches of closed cell spray foam, so no heat is felt radiating through the green hull sides. I could only guess how hot, an uninsulated dark hulled, boat would get.
Conall63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 06:34   #50

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I don't think you can debate dark hulls transferring more heat. It is physical fact that dark surfaces absorb heat faster than light surfaces. That said it then comes down to insulation! This is something that many boats dont have, and it's costly and difficult to install while maintaining an attractive interior. Therefore you are willing to put up with the added heat or paint your hull a light color.......
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 07:55   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
If you made your choice based on visibility (safety) then you would choose white. Black is the worst color for being seen.
I made my choice; I pretend I am invisible and ride accordingly. I adjust my lane position and speed to avoid occupying the space in the path as any left turning vehicle might use to intercept and collide with me (on average those drivers take out 3/4ths of the riders) and pay high attention to those behind to prevent being rear ended at stops; I leave room to dart between cars if needed. If I wanted to dress like a roadway worker, I could do that and it would be more conspicuous and better in terms of increasing my visibility to others. But one would still invisible to anyone that is not actively paying attention, such as texters.

Kindest,

Sundae
Old 21-02-2015, 08:06   #52

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Driver View Post
I made my choice; I pretend I am invisible and ride accordingly. I adjust my lane position and speed to avoid occupying the path as any left turning vehicle might use to intercept and collide with me (on average those drivers take out 3/4ths of the riders) and pay high attention to those behind to prevent being rear ended at stops; I leave room to dart between cars if needed. If I wanted to dress like a roadway worker, I could do that and it would be brighter and better in terms of visibility. But one would still invisible to anyone that is not actively paying attention, such as texters.

Kindest,

Sundae
Am I missing something, I do ride a motorcycle but, I thought this was about boats! Specifically boat hull colors.
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 08:09   #53
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

All else being equal, the empirically proven answer is YES
The rest is just side notes on mitigation
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 08:10   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Am I missing something, I do ride a motorcycle but, I thought this was about boats! Specifically boat hull colors.
The use of helmets in the summer means they are hot. There is a similar theme about color and visibility for wearing one over the other which parallels hull color. What you may have missed is that because helmets have energy absorbing materials (with properties similar to insulation) the inside temperature wasn't different. The same would likely be true for well insulated boats, one assumes.

Kindest,

Sundae
Old 22-02-2015, 00:58   #55

Boat: kuiper 32

I have just painted my steel yacht dark blue it used to be white the hull is insulated,its summer over here now and I cant tell any difference inside.The outside is warmer though.Looks a lot sharper now.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 04:15   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post

That all makes very good sense, and I'm sure Oyster's findings are true.

And with that said, I'm intensely salivating for a dark, flag-blue hull, preferably around 42 feet long -- tropics, or not! You only sweat to death once.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 04:52   #57
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Are dark hulls hotter?

Its all down to Mind over Matter..
If you don't mind.. it don't matter..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 05:03   #58

Wife: "Honey, isn't a little hot in here today?"

Me: "No, not at all. It's a little sunny outside, but us folks from Maine always lounge around the cabin each October in Bermuda shorts & a tank top while enjoying our autumn gin and tonics."
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 11:14   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
That all makes very good sense, and I'm sure Oyster's findings are true.
In my empirical testing , which included one blue-hulled Oyster, the results don't support the belief a dark hull in sub tropical waters results in a hot interior.

It was about 90 degrees and sunny in Ft. Lauderdale when we boarded an Oyster. The broker opened the companionway doors and I stepped below, completely expecting to be gagged by the heat, as I had many times before on white-hulled boats. I was surprised to find it was actually cooler below than outside and all that was running was a dehumidifier and a fan.

As far as the paint delaminating, I saw no evidence of this. And this boat had been in south Florida most of its life. I don't know when the hull was last painted but I do know it was more than four years ago.
Old 22-02-2015, 11:31   #60

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
If you made your choice based on visibility (safety) then you would choose white. Black is the worst color for being seen.
Then wouldn't you choose bright orange for safety? It's a horrible color for a boat though.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull