Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2011, 06:39   #1

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
Anyone Know Anything About this Boat ?

I've seen it cycle through Craigslist twice now.
33 foot sail boat crated and ready to transport
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:48   #2

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
Re: Anyone Know Anything About this Boat ?

I can't find anything about a Herreshof 31 built in 1984. Would it be all fiberglass?
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I think they mean "cradel "as it is on a cradel and ready to ship..FOB from where ever it is..I think thats what they mean..DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 17:17   #4

Boat: Grampian 26

here are a few links for ya, they have specs and some really nice pic, beautiful boat.

31 herreshoff cat ketch 087
HERRESHOFF 31 (CAT KETCH 31) sailboat on sailboatdata.com
Yacht Detailed Specifications
knottygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:17   #5

I would be very wary of a scam. I am curious if you phone the number if you can actually see the boat prior to purchase. My guess it is crated and in a storage yard. Pay with Paypal and I'll ship it to you. I ran into the same ad for a Boston Whaler a few years ago. Tip off is bad grammar in ad. Those Russian translation programs are not the best.
tinpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:27   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

This might be worth a few bucks.

Herreshoff Cat Ketch 31 - Practical Sailor Article
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 18:48   #7

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Exceptionally low price. I'd call them and take a look.
kind regards,
Old 08-09-2011, 19:09   #8

Boat: Currently Looking

I have seen the ad also and emailed them. They sent back additional photos and you are welcome to go look at it is what they sent to me. It is a fixer upper and you would have to transport it from OK/TX state line to another location.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:31   #9

Boat: 22' pop top catlina and 15' designers choice

ALWAYS ALWAYS See it in person! never take a photo of it that was sent to you a photo can hide alot! A very good freind of mine bought a boat that way told me he had seen many photos of it. would not travel to go see it. bought it very low price. got it... and it was junk Looked great from the outside. looked great on the inside. The 55 gallon black water tank had ruptured ( in transport supposedly) and the whole thing had to be gutted cause it smelled so bad.
Wishinforwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:06   #10

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

I looked at this boat this afternoon and found out a little about it.
1. The boat is a 1982.
2. It is on a custom steel cradel that will allow loading on to a flatbed trailer and not require over height permits. It is 10' wide so you will probably need over width permits.
3. The hull has a few jell coat chips. Bottom will be ready for paint with a little prep work.
4. It has a Universal 2 cyl diesel RWC. I did not try to turn it over, but it has not run in probably 4 years. It is fairly clean and rust free. It has trans and prop shaft but no propellor.
5. The decks has a few spots that need filled and all decks need to be painted.
6. The sails are a little dirty, but should be useable.
7. The mast are wooden box and the mizzen will definitely need to be reqlued. All parts of the mizzen are there along with sail tracks. The main mast looks to be okay but I would check it very closely as the mizzen is delaminating. Both booms are in the cabin and will need to be refinished.
8. There has been water into the boat (probably rain water). Apparently the openings for the masts were not covered and the hatch was not completely closed. I did see that the engine bulk head (about 3' x 4") will have to be replaced. All drawers and doors were on the boat and will require refinishing.
9. This boat has the A Plan layout with aft head. The wood is good but will need to be refinished.
10. The interior V-Berth cushions need new foam and covering. The settee and starboard cushions appear OK.
11. This boat has a CNG stove, 2 burner. The CNG tank is there under the starboad cockpit. I would change the Propane since it is easier to find, not as safe though.
12.The boat has a built in AC unit under the stove. Will need to be checked. It has 2 outlets, 1 in the V-Berth area and 1 in the salon.
13. It has a foot pump for water in the galley as well as a 12vdc pump.
14. The fuel tank did not appear to be rusted and is mount aft of the engine. The engine instrutment is readable and mounted in the cockpit.
15. It has an anchor and approx 30 of chain and probably 150' of 3/8" rode.
16. There is a VHF radio, Tiller pilot, a DS, a battery charger, battery selector switch, but no battery or battery boxes
17. There are a set of dingy arms and stern mounts with the boat.
18. The lazerette tops will both have to be replace and a little work done on the storage lockers.
19. There is one port on the port side that has leaked and will require removal and replacement of beaded board. I would pull and reseal all ports and replace the O-Ring.

The Cradle would probably cost $1500 to $2000 to build. There is approx 3350 pounds of lead in the keel which is bolted on. The rudder and tiller are okay.
If someone were interested in a shoal draft Cat Ketch, this a really good start at the asking price of $3000.
Email me if you need more info. I received the additional pictures from the owner and can forward them to you or you can request them. The boat is located about 50 miles north of Dallas on Hiway 69/75 just across the border in Oklahoma.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:24   #11

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
I looked at this boat this afternoon and found out a little about it.
1. The boat is a 1982.
2. It is on a custom steel cradel that will allow loading on to a flatbed trailer and not require over height permits. It is 10' wide so you will probably need over width permits.
3. The hull has a few jell coat chips. Bottom will be ready for paint with a little prep work.
4. It has a Universal 2 cyl diesel RWC. I did not try to turn it over, but it has not run in probably 4 years. It is fairly clean and rust free. It has trans and prop shaft but no propellor.
5. The decks has a few spots that need filled and all decks need to be painted.
6. The sails are a little dirty, but should be useable.
7. The mast are wooden box and the mizzen will definitely need to be reqlued. All parts of the mizzen are there along with sail tracks. The main mast looks to be okay but I would check it very closely as the mizzen is delaminating. Both booms are in the cabin and will need to be refinished.
8. There has been water into the boat (probably rain water). Apparently the openings for the masts were not covered and the hatch was not completely closed. I did see that the engine bulk head (about 3' x 4") will have to be replaced. All drawers and doors were on the boat and will require refinishing.
9. This boat has the A Plan layout with aft head. The wood is good but will need to be refinished.
10. The interior V-Berth cushions need new foam and covering. The settee and starboard cushions appear OK.
11. This boat has a CNG stove, 2 burner. The CNG tank is there under the starboad cockpit. I would change the Propane since it is easier to find, not as safe though.
12.The boat has a built in AC unit under the stove. Will need to be checked. It has 2 outlets, 1 in the V-Berth area and 1 in the salon.
13. It has a foot pump for water in the galley as well as a 12vdc pump.
14. The fuel tank did not appear to be rusted and is mount aft of the engine. The engine instrutment is readable and mounted in the cockpit.
15. It has an anchor and approx 30 of chain and probably 150' of 3/8" rode.
16. There is a VHF radio, Tiller pilot, a DS, a battery charger, battery selector switch, but no battery or battery boxes
17. There are a set of dingy arms and stern mounts with the boat.
18. The lazerette tops will both have to be replace and a little work done on the storage lockers.
19. There is one port on the port side that has leaked and will require removal and replacement of beaded board. I would pull and reseal all ports and replace the O-Ring.

The Cradle would probably cost $1500 to $2000 to build. There is approx 3350 pounds of lead in the keel which is bolted on. The rudder and tiller are okay.
If someone were interested in a shoal draft Cat Ketch, this a really good start at the asking price of $3000.
Email me if you need more info. I received the additional pictures from the owner and can forward them to you or you can request them. The boat is located about 50 miles north of Dallas on Hiway 69/75 just across the border in Oklahoma.
Good survey Brutb!!
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:37   #12

There was a h31 being marketed in the 80s that was ligtweight cold molded epoxy andwood. Apparently they werent sold very long. But i was jonesin for one. That may be one of them.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:52   #13

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
There was a h31 being marketed in the 80s that was ligtweight cold molded epoxy andwood. Apparently they werent sold very long. But i was jonesin for one. That may be one of them.
WWhen looking in the anchor locker you could see the plywood strips and from that I think this maybe the one your looking for.
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote