Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2009, 12:30   #31

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Epoxy planks would be nothing like having a fiberglass hull. Wood swells and contracts at much more severe rate than the epoxy. Strange as it seems you do want a bit of saltwater intrusion to keep away dry rot. Another strange thing is that you want your hull to stay wet because if the planks dry out then the seams expand and the boat leaks. So if you stay moored for a year or so in dry climates and then take her out for a sail she'll leak like crazy until the planks swell again.
The reason I sold my old wood boat was because I had to leave her in Washington State and was going aboard a cruiser in Virginia. Wood needs maintenance. If you liveaboard and sail her monthly they are wonderful boats. If you leave her in the yard and aren't aboard they are a nightmare.
Regards
Old 15-08-2009, 12:31   #32

Oh, if you have a wood boat, freshwater is your enemy.
Old 15-08-2009, 12:42   #33

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Are there any wood encapsulating techniques that would make a wood hull approach fiberglass in terms of maintainence?

And how does it work with the wood inside the epoxy swelling? I didn't realize encapsulated wood planks were meant to get wet at the wood.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 17:35   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Cold molded hulls come close to FRP in maintenance. That's simply three epoxy impregnated layers that run at 45* angles to each other. Me? My boat was C-Flexed so it is a fiberglass hull with a wood hull inside it. As long as I keep the rain out, I'm good to go. I do keep some salt in the bilges regardless.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 18:04   #35
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherT34C View Post
I'm wondering how long an epoxied plank could be expected to last. I imagine epoxy over planking to be similar to having a glass boat with wood core, only in easy(er) to replace bits.

I love the look and feel of wood (the S&S yawls are of course a favorite), but I'm scared of the maintainence. I don't mind paint, but I'm not a carpenter.

Are your hull planks original?

And you've simply GOT to show off an S&S 48 with pics.
I posted a pic. in the intro forum. I'll put more up. Yes the planking is original. if the boat is in good shape and you keep the leaks (rain) out, there's not much carpentry to do. But you have to be diligent with the paint and varnish.The trick for longevity is to keep her wet. Winter haul-outs are murder on wood hulls (we wet store ours).

Fresh water is not the enemy, it's a little more subtle: if the wood is too wet, fungus won't grow- same as too dry. Rain leaks fall in the middle so the rot starts.
FWIW, two Crowinshield schooners Fame and Fortune have spent their lives on the Lakes and they're over 100 years old. and still going strong. I know Fame still has almost all of its original planking.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 18:04   #36

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000
Fresh water is your enemy

That's absolutely right...we have a 35 yearold John Spencer...triple skin kauri ply over mahogany frames and stringers (like Ragtime) ...the hull is as solid as they day she was built.

The "wooden boat" issues I've had all related to rainwater getting in under the teak decking and causing rot..and leaks.

Its all being replaced as we speak ...teak ripped off...all the foredeck had to be replaced because of rot, as well as some parts of the coach roof....now its all repaired and glassed over the gunwales to the hull then painted with epoxy based paint.

That should keep the drips out !

The interior is a mix of varnished mahogany and white painted panels...maintenace of this is not a big issue and its cetainly more comfortable and homely than living inside a plastic bottle !!

She goes back in on Monday with mast being stepped, all new SS rigging and a new cutter stay...ready for the "off" next year.

We lover her !

Cheers

Alan
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 19:48   #37

Keeping a wood boat in the tropics requires you haul out at least every two years. The worms just love wood and if your hull has any break where there is no bottom paint they'll make a home.
regards
Old 15-08-2009, 19:57   #38

Boat: Bristol 34
Check out Cruising on "ARITA". "Arita" is one of the most beautiful boats I've had the pleasure to be aboard. Made from a single tree in New Zealand in the 1950s. Just returned from six months in the Bahamas. The owners also have "Svea" a Danish built boat that is classic - and for sale if you love true classics and have $60k.
rover88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 20:38   #39

Boat: Allied Princess 36'
Skipper John is right on about Worms and the Tropics + wood boats--they can sink fast.
Martinini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 08:53   #40
S&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albro359 View Post
The "wooden boat" issues I've had all related to rainwater getting in under the teak decking and causing rot..and leaks.

Its all being replaced as we speak ...teak ripped off...all the foredeck had to be replaced because of rot, as well as some parts of the coach roof....now its all repaired and glassed over the gunwales to the hull then painted with epoxy based paint.

That should keep the drips out !

Cheers

Alan
Ours was built with a glassed deck. We went the same way during her refit. Glass over ply makes for a good deck.We went right up under the cap rail so no leaks there! I never saw the attraction of paying miles of seams.
Old 16-08-2009, 08:58   #41
S&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Keeping a wood boat in the tropics requires you haul out at least every two years. The worms just love wood and if your hull has any break where there is no bottom paint they'll make a home.
regards
Some more than others:they love mahogany, teak less so, for you Aussies they won't touch Borneo Ironwood ( looked at monel fastened sloop made of that stuff once- built for the Sidney-Hobart race- but a 50' boat with a 10' draft full keel seemed extreme).
Old 16-08-2009, 20:33   #42

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Quote:
Are there any wood encapsulating techniques that would make a wood hull approach fiberglass in terms of maintainence?

And how does it work with the wood inside the epoxy swelling? I didn't realize encapsulated wood planks were meant to get wet at the wood.
My 30 foot cutter is "stitch and glue": marine grade playwood and epoxy. It is no more difficult to maintain than a fiberglass boat.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 08:23   #43
S&S

Quote:
And you've simply GOT to show off an S&S 48 with pics.
Finally got some pics in the photo gallery.
Old 19-08-2009, 14:40   #44

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
Finally got some pics in the photo gallery.
Hat's off. Beautiful and classy. What did your refit entail?
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2009, 16:58   #45
S&S

Quote:
Hat's off. Beautiful and classy. What did your refit entail?
Thank you!

3 frame heels (N.B. don't bond a wood boat)
New layer if 1/8 ply and reglass for deck
New cabin sides- fixed her one design flaw, wide solid planks check.

Not too bad for her age, should be good for another 45