Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 14:10   #1

Boat: Whitby 42ft
Send a message via Yahoo to KayKay58
Anyone Familiar with 1972 Morgan Out Island 41 Sloop ?

Hi, It's been a while since I last posted. At that time we were on our Cal 9.2 at Lake Texhoma. Since then we have just purchased our "dream" boat, the Echo, a 41ft Morgan OutIsland Sloop, and are starting our repairs on her. Her engine is real good, and we had to make repairs to her transmission, but it's in good working order now. I'm having to totally redo the forward head, and I have to add a toilet to the aft owners stateroom. I'm not sure which would be the best toilet for the best value. Thanks everybody, it's good to finally be living the "Dream". We have moved aboard her at Bahia Marina in Ingleside on the Bay, and I love it!!
KayKay58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 14:36   #2

Can’t help with the head, but Congratulations! The old Morgan O/Is are often maligned, but the truth is they are strong, heavy, slow, roomy boats with powerful engines. In good condition they can safely take you a long way and they make an excellent extended cruising platform. Like many beamy full keel boats they don’t point very well and it takes a bit of a breeze to get them going, but in stronger winds they go like freight trains and handle rough seas well.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 14:51   #3

Boat: Whitby 42ft
Send a message via Yahoo to KayKay58
thanks Slo, We are very happy with her, we wanted a boat roomy enough for a live aboard, and yet with good cruising capabilities, and Echo seems to fit the bill. She is a little slow, ( a lot more that our Cal 9.2, lol) but she makes up for it in a lot of other ways. We really got a great deal on her, and she's in decent shape for a '72 model. Appreciate the reply, and may the wind always be in your sails!
KayKay58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 12:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
My wife and I have lived aboard two 1973 Morgan Out Islands,- a 33' from '73-'85 & a 41' from '85 - present. 'not much different from the '72. Here are a few cautions to watch for,- watch for any development of a hairline crack developing between the port and starboard rudder halves. A wise move before delamination would be to run a fiberglass tabbing around the glued seam. My 41' had a Westerbeke 4-107 that left us underpowered. We replaced it with a 56hp Yanmar. You may have the larger Perkins. Your hull-deck joint, like mine, is under the rubrail and susceptable to damage. We have found manufacturers that produce the rubber extrusions for the portlight gaskets and the rub rail. Ours is fine, but we've seen Morgan OI's with corroded mast steps and back-up plates at the stem head fitting,- watch these! I did find a crack one of my chain plates in '91. We replace our shrouds once each 12 years. ...and we did need to replace our two 50 gallon fuel tanks with two 55 gallon aluminum tanks in '95.

'enjoy sharing any Morgan OI strategies...'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 13:08   #5

I didn't know about the different engines. The 2 that I've been on had 85 hp Perkins.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2010, 17:00   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
roomy boats with powerful engines.
I ran a Catalina built Morgan O/I 41 with a 40 HP engine once,
A tad underpowered I'd say.

Other than that, the boat held up prettu good, no leaks in heavy rains and hurricanes in Florida.

You may want to watch out for blisters according to this guy:

Quote:
Morgan is famous for producing some of the most badly blistered boats we've ever seen, as well as the junky, but immensely popular Out Island 41. In fact, the O/I 41 is one of only two hulls we've ever seen that had been destroyed by blisters, the other being a Chris Craft Commander.
Boat Review by David Pascoe - Morgan 462 Ketch
Old 16-05-2010, 17:35   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
There may be some variety with the blistering among individuals boats, but I think events like the major blistering cited above may have been to too much sanding of the barrier coat and previous poor care. My '73 Morgan OI has had less than a dozen nickel size blisters appearing over it's 37 year history.
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:38   #8

Boat: Morgan 414
Re: Anyone Familiar with 1972 Morgan Out Island 41 Sloop ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayKay58 View Post
thanks Slo, We are very happy with her, we wanted a boat roomy enough for a live aboard, and yet with good cruising capabilities, and Echo seems to fit the bill. She is a little slow, ( a lot more that our Cal 9.2, lol) but she makes up for it in a lot of other ways. We really got a great deal on her, and she's in decent shape for a '72 model. Appreciate the reply, and may the wind always be in your sails!
Hello, my wife Mary and I are the new owner of this Morgan 41, the former "Echo" that was renamed as "Infinity" when you sold it to the next owner. The boat is in very poor shape as she was left at a dock in Bay City with most of the wiring removed, the bilge pump was disconnected and the engine was locked up as it took in water about 14 months ago. In the process of deciding to fix and/or replace her engine, I am trying to obtain as much historical information on the boat and the power train as possible, and I am delighted to learn that you are one of her previous owner. Information left on the boat indicated that this boat was original fitted with a Westerbeke 4.107 (typically a Perkins 4.107 painted in red color) and the current engine is a Perkins 4.108 (in blue color). As the transmission is currently painted in red color and if this transmission is the original unit, I assume that a red 4.107 engine was replaced by the blue Perkins 4.108 engine that is currently locked up due to taking in water. However, there is no indication that the cockpit floor or any part of the boat was ever being cut off for the typical engine replacement. The mechanics who ever did the engine replacement at the time must had done an excellent job in replacing the engine without cutting off the cockpit floor or any other structural component around the engine room. Or it may be that the blue Perkins 4.108 is the original engine on the boat and the red transmission is the new unit that was replaced instead. I would appreciate any and all information that you may remember to provide. You can PM or email me at long1pham@aol.com with any information that you may have. Thank you. Long Pham
long1pham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morgan, morgan out island