Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 19:57   #1

Boat: Looking for Sailboat
Any Tiburon 36 Owners? Cabo Rico

I saw some older posts here about the '36...so I know about the rudder problems and the fact that the mizzen mast doesn't have a compression post and that it's a problem.

Cabo Rico doesn't even have the Tiburon on their site! So any info would be appreciated...I think old tanks were a problem too?

Also really interested in performance and cruising experiences with the boat. This one is the aft cabin model.

Thanks!

Tammy
outthere09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 20:15   #2

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by outthere09 View Post
I saw some older posts here about the '36...so I know about the rudder problems and the fact that the mizzen mast doesn't have a compression post and that it's a problem.

Cabo Rico doesn't even have the Tiburon on their site! So any info would be appreciated...I think old tanks were a problem too?

Also really interested in performance and cruising experiences with the boat. This one is the aft cabin model.

Thanks!
Try this link. CABO RICO 38

Bill Crealock lives in Carlsbad Ca Friends of mine bought a Tiburon 36 they called him prior to the purchase, he was very gracious and answered all of their question... a real gentlemen.
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 21:06   #3

Boat: Looking for Sailboat
Thanks for the info! I'm seeing the boat tomorrow.

Tammy
outthere09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 15:36   #4

Re: Any Tiburon 36 Owners? Cabo Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by outthere09 View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm seeing the boat tomorrow.
Dennis Garrett of Costa Rica modified the Crealock Tiburon mold that was purched and had been used to build the Tiburon in the US prior to going to Costa Rica where Dennis moditifed it, most of us who were there give Dennis Credit as designer.
jwbuckner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 17:31   #5

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

I believe that Dennis made the Tiburon into a 38 ft cutter and moved the mast aft. The company name was Fibro Tech and was located in an old British Leland plant in San Jose. My Cabo hull#50 built in 1977 had that info in its documentation.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2013, 05:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
I believe that Dennis made the 36 Tiburon (Crealock design)) into a 38 ft cutter and moved the mast aft. The company name was Fibro Tech and was located in an old British Leland plant in San Jose. My Cabo hull#50 built in 1977 had that info in its documentation.
That is basically correct, Schofield either built the original mold in the British Leyland plan in Costa Rica ( drafted by Crealock 1973-4) or obtained it from a Colorado company called Transamerican inc. The story I have is they built several to many 36 Tiburons from that mold in Colorado then sold the mold to Schofield in Costa Rica. Dennis Garrett then moditfied it in 1976 after the mold had arrived in Costa Rica. I'll check with Dennis to verify if you believe this is not correct.
Old 30-06-2013, 07:11   #7

That is my understanding . Thanks for the additional info.
Old 30-06-2013, 07:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
That is my understanding . Thanks for the additional info.
I'll e-mail Dennis but Crealock designed the Westsail 32 in 1971 3 years before the 36 Tiburon, the Cabo Rico site is mistaken on that part, because Crealock after finding out the "wetsnail" was so slow and wet, he improved on 36Tiburon which became Cabo Rico 38 with same LWL and displacement, without the mizzen.
Old 30-06-2013, 08:05   #9

It is my understanding the in the early '90's Crealock designed the Cabo 32 which was stretched to a 34 and redesigned the interior of the 38 to have an L shaped galley with the engice under the sink, and extended the quarter cabin to put the bed under the cockpit. Crealock also designed the '46-'48. The 42-44 has a cut-away fore-foot for the hull and a skeg rudder and was not designed by Crealock.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31   #10

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

I've heard various things. Crealock designed the the Tiburon and he had at least some involvement in the evolution to the 38, but I've not been able to determine how much was Crealock and how much was Garrett. I could never find much information about Garrett, so I don't know about his credentials as as far as yacht design. I'd find it hard to believe that someone with no specific experience in sailing yacht architecture could get the rig dimensions and placement so right. The boat balances easily and sails well for such a high DLR. The real history of the design would be great to know. Perhaps there is more to the Dennis Garrett story. I know that the hull of my '87 is molded in one piece with the aft lower section of the keel as a secondary molded application. Not sure why this was, but it was obvious when I had the boat peeled. The 38s from 77 to 82 all seem to be similar. There were significant changes to the interior in 84. I think there were some significant changes in construction methods around then as well, but no change to the hull design. Crealock designed the 34 which was later stretched to the 36 by adding the aft deck. Crealock also designed the 45 which was also lengthened to the 47 in the same way. Chuck Paine did the 40/42. This boat has harder bilges with a more abrupt transition from hull to keel than the Crealock designs. The forefoot is cut even further aft and there is a very large aperture for the propeller to yield as little wetted surface as possible. I've heard but can't confirm that Cabo Rico had Crealock come in to lend some artistry to the bow on the 40/42. No one draws a clipper bow as well as Crealock as far as I'm concerned. I don't know how much the designers had a hand in the the lengthening of the boats by 2 feet. If Garrett was a yacht designer, that would have explained a lot. The more I work on my boat, the more I find myself wishing I could discuss things with the designer/builder. As CR seems to have closed the doors for good, I guess I'm left with figuring things out for myself.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:18   #11

Dennis Garrett, is an educated talented yacht designer, he has designed several larger yachts , was involved with Ribovitch when he was building in Costa Rica, because he is a humble man he hasn't published or received the acknowledgement he deserves. I will try to find out as much as I can about the details I appreciate your contribution.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:57   #12

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbuckner View Post
Dennis Garrett, is an educated talented yacht designer, he has designed several larger yachts , was involved with Ribovitch when he was building in Costa Rica, because he is a humble man he hasn't published or received the acknowledgement he deserves. I will try to find out as much as I can about the details I appreciate your contribution.
I sure didn't mean to imply anything different. I just had not been able to find much information about him. He had only been mentioned as the production manager at Cabo Rico. Thanks for clearing that up a bit. I had also heard that there was a guy who went to Cabo Rico from Mariner yachts (the one in New Hampshire). He had been the production manager there. I had wondered if he might have been Dennis Garrett, but it sounds like Garrett was there prior. All of this was word of mouth, so I've no idea of its validity. Having the designer as the production manager is a sure way to a quality boat. Perhaps that explains the CRs high quality over the years.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27   #13

Dennnis came from south Florida where he was the designer of a racing sailboat built commercially, and very successful in 1968-70, I don't recall the name now, thought it began with "S" he arrived in Costa Rica early 70's and built wood hulls for Ribovich then sent to FT Lauderdale for finishing, I have sent my inquires to Costa Rica so when I get the whole story I will share, I appreciate your contribution.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:35   #14
Marine Service Provider

Just an FYI there is a really nice cabo Rico 38 for sale in fort lauderdale. I wish she was my listing... Super clean boat.
Old 03-07-2013, 17:41   #15

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbuckner View Post
I'll e-mail Dennis but Crealock designed the Westsail 32 in 1971 3 years before the 36 Tiburon, the Cabo Rico site is mistaken on that part, because Crealock after finding out the "wetsnail" was so slow and wet, he improved on 36Tiburon which became Cabo Rico 38 with same LWL and displacement, without the mizzen.
Can you share with us the source or print where you get this information that Mr, Crealock describes a Westsail as "slow and wet"?

Thanks in advance.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabo rico, tiburon, buying