Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 13:02   #31

Boat: Hans Christian 48T
Re: Any Thoughts on Hans Christian Sailboats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVPP View Post
Hello M,

Yep,

Our boat was originally called 7 Won Ton, then Mi Mitana and nos Pacific Pearl - nece the SVPP.

Apparently it has been around. Do you know it?

cheers

Paul
Hi Paul

Yes, I went to see her when she was for sale in Singapore. Just after the repair to the top of the compression post. She was a bit tired but I've always been a sucker for ketches so she was attractive to me. Couldn't afford her at the time. Glad you got her and sorted her out.

Cheers!

M
Old 30-10-2012, 15:22   #32

Boat: Cape Barren Goose

M

you should have bought her. That way i wouldn't have to continually justify the money we spent on her to my wife.

basically I bought a hull. One in really poor shape

Peeled and epoxied the hull, replaced all deck hardware inc winches, replaced deck,

peeled the inside of all tanks,

installed new electronics, radios, bowthruster, engine, generator, rebuilt alot of the interior, bathrooms, plumbing, rigging, sails, anchors, anchor winches,

changed some major stuctural stuff also.

17000 hours inc paint and revarnishing, i was luck to use TAFE students for a lot of it but I would NEVER do it again.

Is she finished...no

I am sitting here trying to work out how to replace the chain plates. I think I am going to have to cut them out! Design them so they can be replaced from the outside. This would have been a great way to build them in the first place.

Yep, love that boat.
Old 30-10-2012, 15:48   #33

Yeah, it just goes to show... most of the time it's age, not original build/cost that determines the condition of a boat. Doesnt matter if It's a Swan or a Catalina. Did many of the same things to the HC 38 shown in my avatar at left; removed teak decks, replaced hatches, peeled the bottom etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 15:59   #34
cruiser

When my wife and I first began looking for our first significant yacht three years ago, I immediately went back to boats we were interested in buying back in 1985 which included the Baba 40 and the Hans Christian. I just loved all the woodwork. Today, I'm so glad my broker helped to change my mind; I don't enjoy working on all the teak as much as I used to.

Our present boat, an Oyster 53 has just the right amount of woodwork to keep me busy, but not enough to take away from quality sailing time. I don't varnish any of the exterior teak, we just let it go silver.

If you have your heart set on the HC, I did see a beautiful example in Alameda, CA three years ago where the owner had let all the exterior teak turn silver. The boat still looked great minus any exterior varnish.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 19:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVPP View Post
M

you should have bought her.
Yep, love that boat.
What? And deny you all that pleasure?

Naaahhhh......

Enjoy her, I love mine too.
Old 30-10-2012, 19:59   #36

I have to say, I kept the varnish on the caprails and gunwales for a few years because it was beautiful, but for a number of reasons at some stage I had to let it go. Due to other commitments I decided to let the sun do the work and destroy all the old brightwork, which it duly did. I'm now in the process of getting rid of it all to start again. I like silver teak, the deck is beautiful, but I'm not sure about all the trim work. It really looks good when it is nicely finished.

On mine it is relatively easy to take the chainplates out to inspect or replace. Did it 5 years ago and plan on it next year again. I have no memory of having seen yours, besides, with two masts, surely you have more chainplates than I do.

Labour of love indeed.
Old 30-10-2012, 20:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Did many of the same things to the HC 38 shown in my avatar at left; removed teak decks, replaced hatches, peeled the bottom etc.
I always wondered if it was a HC in your avatar but was never quite sure. She is lovely whatever she is.
Old 30-10-2012, 20:34   #38

Its decided: caprails, bulwarks, teak hand holds deck, cockpit seat tops, they are all going to be silver. Salwater, no oil and just scotchpad cleans. Lets see how it goes.

I figure that reduction in my personal vanity has just saved me two to three weeks a year work.

Everything extenal except for the painted bowsprit will be silver. I will keep the 11" cap that runs around the cock pit varnished - just to show I know how to do it

Now.... back to sanding that cabin sole.
Old 07-05-2013, 20:38   #39

I just purchased her 6 months ago. Very pleased witht he build quality.
Things to look out for. Wiring, teak decks. Pay the money and get a full Survey.
My teak was replace a few years earlier, and has 30 year old teak on the cockpit and cabin top. Still holding up. The new decks will last another 30 years if well maintained. I let mine silver natually. Still looks good to me with near no maintenance besides a light scrub with salt water.
I uploaded a few pictures here. Hope to add me and write some words soon.
The Adventures of Noorderzon
or - The Adventures of Noorderzon

enjoy
biggles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 22:13   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Morgan View Post
I have to say, I kept the varnish on the caprails and gunwales for a few years because it was beautiful, but for a number of reasons at some stage I had to let it go. Due to other commitments I decided to let the sun do the work and destroy all the old brightwork, which it duly did. I'm now in the process of getting rid of it all to start again. I like silver teak, the deck is beautiful, but I'm not sure about all the trim work. It really looks good when it is nicely finished.

On mine it is relatively easy to take the chainplates out to inspect or replace. Did it 5 years ago and plan on it next year again. I have no memory of having seen yours, besides, with two masts, surely you have more chainplates than I do.

Labour of love indeed.
I see from a post in 2012 that you have inspected your chainplates on your Hans Christian 48. We have owned ours, Liward, for 26 years and are interested in how you did that. Could you email us at Liward48@hotmail.com
Thanks so much.
Liward - Free Travel Blogs (we didn't come up with the name, its just the server!)
liward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 05:53   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by liward View Post
I see from a post in 2012 that you have inspected your chainplates on your Hans Christian 48. We have owned ours, Liward, for 26 years and are interested in how you did that. Could you email us at Liward48@hotmail.com
Thanks so much.
Liward - Free Travel Blogs (we didn't come up with the name, its just the server!)
Hi liward

We drilled holes on the outside teak planks where the bolts go through and took the sealant out of the holes in the cap rails. After that it was relatively easy to remove the bolts and prize them out. When we re-installed them, we plugged the holes on the teak planks. I would not suggest you do this. It is much easier and better to take the planks out and replace them when you are done with the chain plates and you won't see any marks. At some stage I might change the planks just to make those big plugs disappear. Keeping them sealed is a job for every year as the movement of the boat makes the sealant break contact and start to leak after a while. I can live with this as they are exposed on the inside of the boat and can see drops when they start leaking.

M
Old 16-07-2014, 00:42   #42

OK, am now into 7 years of ownership and have to say the boat is still great.

I have had some love/hate moments but overall it is far more comfortable at sea and safe than than anything else I have access to.

Maintenance? The best maintenance routine I have is to use her.
Old 18-07-2014, 12:01   #43

Very beutyful boats

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
josi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 12:21   #44

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

I started this post a few years ago. I ended up buying an Islander Freeport 41 ketch. Maybe I should start a new thread asking about Freeports...
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2014, 13:42   #45

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

My liveaboard neighbor in San Diego had an HC 43 ketch and I helped him with maintenance, mechanical stuff and taught him how to sail her and get the most out of her. Except for her teak decks, she was a sweet boat. He sold her and has been kicking himself ever since. Had me check out another one, HC 33, I believe, kind of a little sister to his previous one but had the teak deck screwed from the headliner bottom unlike his 43... very poor practice. The owner was in the process of removing the teak around the screw ends, grining them down and plugging the holes, a very poor repair solution IMHO.
Cosmetically, they are beautifully put together (except the deck fastners), slow in light airs but will really truck above 20 knots and great in heavier sea conditions. Spacious accommodation and great grab rails built in for walking below in a seaway.
He still misses her! Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote