Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2015, 07:19   #1

any suggestions of boats for bluewater and tropical sailing?

Hi guys
I'm 16 and am currently saving up so that after i've completed all my studies i can buy a boat with some friends and cruise for a couple of years. I am hoping to purchase a boat with about 4 other people,making 5 of us in total with each of us putting 50k towards it. With that 250k we would like to buy a boat big enough for us 5 and an additional 2-5 guests. Is 250k a good budget to buy a decent boat and be able to fit it out for what we need?
We would like to sail all around the world; crossing the Atlantic and pacific,sailing around the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Indonesia,Australia etc... I know that no boat covers everything you want to do but does anybody have any suggestions of boats which can fit the criteria of most of our demands. Our biggest worry is buying a boat with to big a draft and having to anchor far out when sailing around small islands with shallow ground, however is it fair to say that a too shallow draft could cause us some discomfort while crossing the big blue?
I know i've asked alot and am only 16 so don't have that much experience with sailing, but anybody who has experienced the dilemma we will soon encounter, we appreciate any advice
youngavidsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 07:41   #2

Boat: C&C Newport 41
Re: any suggestions of boats for bluewater and tropical sailing?

Short answer... yes. 250K buys a lot of boat and will provide numerous options when it comes time to buy.

Long answer... well, you are 16. You'll learn a ton between now and when you and your friends are ready to buy.

You dont mention where you are located but, try to sync up with some local sailors and get on the water as much as possible.

Read everything you can.

Ask questions.

Listen.

Research.

-steve
ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 07:41   #3

Boat: Liberty 458

5 people is a lot on an extended cruise. This will probably require you to look at a charter spec boat rather than a blue water yacht.

Our Liberty 458, for example, is great for two. It has 110 lockers, an office, chart table, workshop, 2 staterooms, 2 heads and a salon that allows the two of us to relax. No way would we have 5 on board for even an overnight.

A similar size charter layout could have 4 staterooms. The tradeoff is very little storage space and cramped berths.

How about a catamaran?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 07:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
5 people is a lot on an extended cruise. This will probably require you to look at a charter spec boat rather than a blue water yacht.

Our Liberty 458, for example, is great for two. It has 110 lockers, an office, chart table, workshop, 2 staterooms, 2 heads and a salon that allows the two of us to relax. No way would we have 5 on board for even an overnight.

A similar size charter layout could have 4 staterooms. The tradeoff is very little storage space and cramped berths.

How about a catamaran?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
hi thanks for the advice. whats the main difference between a blue water yacht and a charter spec boat? aside from that what size would you recommend is adequate? would around 50ft be ok or too small? also would you be able to recommend anything regarding draft?
youngavidsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 08:09   #5

Boat: Skookum 53'

It really depends on the person, you haven't been around enough to know what your size requirements will be. For myself, 50' is just big enough for me and my Wife, and an occasional guest. But then I don't like most people very much. A charter spec yacht would be laid out for more people occupying the same space. Nice yacht Leftbrainstuff, I looked one up on yachtworld, very nice layout. At this point I would advise you to work on planning the making of the money, and determining what you want and don't want in a vessel, that means you need to go out and sail on as many different kinds of vessels as possible. Bear in mind that by the time you have acquired the needed finances, you and your friends may have gone different directions or have different priorities, life happens, while you are making plans. After I returned from a year long voyage in the south Pacific, I intended to go back as soon as I could and 40 years later, I have not gotten any further south in the Pacific than Hawaii. I do have the boat now and plan on heading out come spring, at this point though, I wouldn't guarantee that is what will happen, and that is only a few months away. All the best on your adventure.
Old 20-01-2015, 08:10   #6

Boat: Grampian 26 SOLD! & (pending sea trial) Catalina 42 MkII

Follow your bliss. GET ON WITH YOUR ADVENTURE RIGHT NOW-NO MATTER YOUR AGE. The sooner your start the faster you will learn and the safer that experience will make you 750 miles from land and in any weather.

I started sailing and racing at 15 and offer my two cents worth to launch you toward your objective:

-buy a dinghy now and sail the hell out of it in any weather. You will learn more about sailing in 2 kts than 20 kts. An inexpensive Laser or Laser II will get you wet, be an awesome teacher and faithful companion and will instill in you the joy of intimate contact with the elements. The simple rig allows you to focus on staying upright without a lot of fuss. Heavy weather (15+ and 5-8' waves) in a laser is a blast and a curse. Once you figure out the difference, you'll intuitively comprehend the bliss in starting small and moving up. At 55, I'm on my fourth Laser and still go out in 25 kts to wrestle and plane and surf. Its sheer bliss and approaches nirvana. There is no substiture for getting wet while honing the basics.

-as soon as you know tack from gybe, beg at a local yacht club to go racing. Reliable and enthusiastic crew are always rewarded handsomely by this experience. Racing teaches you to focus on solving immediate issues without distraction, work as a team to keep the circus travelling downwind at the fastest possible pace and the finer points of handling a larger more complicated vessel through cooperation and communication.

Where you go from here is totally your call. There is no subsitute for experience and time in...

I wish you every success my young friend!
Divevac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2015, 08:12   #7

Boat: Skookum 53'

Yeah, what Diveac, says.

Tags
cal, sail, sailing, water