Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 09:05   #1

Any Significant Differences Among these Boats?

For a 20-30 YO $50K boat for a cruise from NE USA to eventually Aruba,
I have reduced the list of hundreds to these 4:

Island Packet 31
Pacific Seacraft 31
Cape Dory 33
Shannon 28

One thing I noticed is the much greater displacement of the PS 31-she must be slow.
Any comments appreciated.
divelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:24   #2

Keep in mind that advertised displacment numbers are often way off. Those all look like great boats, get the one you like the best and is sthe best condition. You ought to be able to get a 20 year old 30 footer for a lot less than 50k though.... go here, page 3..... Nice freshwater strong boat for 26500 asking: (not mine!)http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...a-26649-3.html
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:53   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
check out this web site that compares statistics of production boats
Sail Calculator Pro v3.53 - 2000+ boats
cheers,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:08   #4

Boat: 36' custom steel
I'm guessing, and that's all this is, that the IP will not move to the windward as well as the other three boats. But not radically worse. Just a tad less windward performance. I don't think any of the IP boats are known for their windward performance.

Maybe somebody who really knows can chime in.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:10   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
All those boats have good reputations but I am not familiar with Shannon. More importantly is their previous owner's care and the condition they are currently in. Once you go aboard and have a survey done you'll be able to choose.
regards,
Old 09-10-2009, 10:10   #6

Boat: Hallberg Rassy Rasmus Berzerker
Been on the Dory, the (several of) the Shannons and the Packet. As I think Practical Sailor once said, the Shannon was pound for pound the most expensive semi production boat ever. Doesn't make it the best obviously, but looking the 3 over well, definitely the Shannon or the PS if a good enough deal. I believe Mate' also sailed the Shannon solo across the Atlantic and raved about it. Also, a few of the Shannons for sale are brokered by Shannon itself, so I'd imagine support would be really good.
GuanoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18   #7

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by divelly View Post

One thing I noticed is the much greater displacement of the PS 31-she must be slow.
Any comments appreciated.
Displacement does not make a boat slow. Lack of SA/D makes a boat slow.

At that size, displacement can actually help because cruising stores will comprise a lower percentage of overall displacement. Thus, cruising stores will adversely impact SA/D less than a light boat, assuming starting SA/D is the same (which, of course, typically is not the case).

Displacement is a big detriment on the race course because it adversely impacts acceleration out of tacks and surfing downwind, which for cruising purposes are not important.

Not always, but frequently displacement at that size range greatly helps seakindliness. The key is to couple adequate SA/D to displacement.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:19   #8

Boat: Boatless
At this age a matter of condition and when last re-fitted, engine, rigging, sails, electronics (new not 5 yrs old), life raft etc.

$50,000 for an old 30 fter would have to be full of goodies and very very good condition. You can get a 5 yr old 35 ft Beneteau out of the Moorings Brokerage for not much more than that.

Shannon, I am told by a Shannon owner, are buying back their old boats and re-fitting them.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post

Shannon, I am told by a Shannon owner, are buying back their old boats and re-fitting them.
You can be very sure that Shannon is not paying anywhere close to $50k to buy back one of their 30 ft. 30 yr. old boats.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:19   #10

The IP has a longer water line and potentially faster on all points except maybe to weather. IP's hold their value well and the IP is a fairly shoal draft which can be real nice in that size boat for tucking into places the "yachts" fear to tread. That is one beauty of the small boat for sure. IP WL=27.8ft, others are 23-24 ft. except for the 28, they all are 11k-11.9k displacement... if you are intent on sailing to weather even if you only make 3 knots toward your destination, then the CD or the PS might be better. Go see these boats, I suspect there is a big difference in accomodation...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 17:02   #11

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
All the boats you named are pigs. From this list I would go for PS31 - beware though - as I think you are talking rather of MARIAH 31 (?)

I believe all these boats are great. Just pick up the one you love. If you are more cash oriented - get the one with best resale value.

My choice would be in this order IP, Mariah, Shannon, CD. Of course, if you talk the newer IP31 - I would pick up this one before the rest.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 17:39   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Shannon 28 is a sweet boat. You don't purchase those boats; instead, you join the cult.
Old 09-10-2009, 18:32   #13

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I have owned a PS and now a CD. I have sailed all ( PS,IP,CD, Shannon), I love the shannons, they are true works of art in quality and sailing ability -by far the best of the group. The PS, the IP and the CD are good honest seaworthy vessels. Each one has strengths and weakness.
The weakness of the CD is the interior liner which limits the ability to repair the hull from the inside if your holed. They point like demons and are strong strong strong. The PS...weakness hmm maybe pointing ability (loved my PS). The IP.. ya just gotta know how to sail them, they are a bit different on what sail plan they like, they pointed ok to me. The beamy layout can make thinks difficult down below (handrails are spaced too far apart), in rough sea you really need to be careful.
Hope this helps,
Erika
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:43   #14

Thanks everybody.
Cruisers are always ready with a helping hand.
My own working conclusions are:
Shannon 28-maybe a bit too small.
IPY 31-not the prettiest but the roomiest
Cape Dory 33-Probably tender and a cored deck with leaks
PS 31-small and slow but sea kindly

I guess it's a toss up. Just find the best value and condition.
We had a 35" motor sailor and I came to agree with the definition that she offered the simplicity of a sailboat and the peace and quiet of a stink pot.

Thanks again.
divelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:36   #15

Quote:
Thanks everybody.
Cruisers are always ready with a helping hand.
My own working conclusions are:
Shannon 28-maybe a bit too small.
IPY 31-not the prettiest but the roomiest
Cape Dory 33-Probably tender and a cored deck with leaks
PS 31-small and slow but sea kindly

I guess it's a toss up. Just find the best value and condition.
We had a 35" motor sailor and I came to agree with the definition that she offered the simplicity of a sailboat and the peace and quiet of a stink pot.

Thanks again.
Bargain hunter that I am, if I were looking for a good cruiser in this size range, I would try to find a nice Islander 32 Mk 2, which is a Bob Perry design available as a standard draft (approx. 5 ft.) or a shoal draft which is 4 ft. One nice extra benefit of the shoal draft model is that the ballast is encapsulated in GRP layup (no keel bolts). The boat has exceptional woodwork down below and is a very good sailing boat

(featured inTwenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere

By Gregg Nestor)

Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take ... - Google Books

Note: the book also has excellent writeups on some of your other choices.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote