Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 12:52   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Any reviews of Shannon 38?

We have a cutter rigged Shannon 38 for sale here in Grenada. The boat is a serious project boat - perfect if you would like to hang out in the Caribbean and work on restoring a classic boat! Contact me if you would like more information on her. She's the only Shannon 38 in Grenada listed on Yachtworld.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 13:29   #17

Boat: Shannon 38

We own a 1978 shannon38 cutter. On her now. Love the boat. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Downside to owning this blue hulled darling- lots of boats ( power) come in close to take a look. Once overheard a girl exclaim to her dad "it's s Captain Ron boat!!!". We looked at a Cabo - the Shanon has more storage. Looked at lots of tayanas but felt the Shannon quality was better. Came close to buying a hans Christian but it's draft was too deep for Bahamas. Been very happy with our choice.
Virginia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 16:00   #18

Boat: Island Packet 350

You may also wish to consider Island Packet. There are similarities.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2016, 16:18   #19

Boat: Shannon 43 ketch

Ours is a 43' ketch, and we love her. I can't speak for the 38, but the quality of construction is top shelf. Here is a review of the 43:

Shannon 43 | Blue Water Sailing

Send me a private message if you want to know more.
YellowcakeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 05:34   #20

Boat: gozzard 44

OrangeCrush

Very similar to Shannon is Gozzard made in Ontario, cutters from 31'-44'.
Unlike the other semi-custom builders they're still in business.
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 06:06   #21

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Thanks for the pointers. I already had a list of boats I've been watching for a while, and adding more viable choices is great. I'm going to be sailing the boat from NY to Maine, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Bermuda during summers for the next decade or so, but I would like to start crossing oceans a little later on and hopefully sail around the world when I'm ready to do so. My budget is around $60k-70k and my list includes:

Tayana 37
Baba 35
Alajuela 38
Rafiki 37
Corbin 39
Southern Cross 39
Valiant Esprit 37
Cabo Rico 38
Shannon 38
Waquiez Hood 38
Crealock 37
Morgan 384

I had never heard of the Gozzard so I will keep an eye on those as well. Looks nice. I had sorta stopped looking at Island Packets based on their really poor reputation for sailing performance, but I'm sure that compared with some of the other heavy and traditional boats on my list they're not too bad.

Some on the list may be hard to find in good condition in my budget, like the Crealock, Alajuela or Cabo Rico, but I'm still keeping an eye out. I don't want teak decks, but I don't mind a fair amount of teak trim or interior teak to maintain.

The Morgan is perhaps the oddball on my list in that it's not a cutter and it's a little more suited to the near-coastal plans than the offshore plans. If you know of any more like this, something maybe a little more fun to sail but still very sturdy and capable of being prepped for ocean crossings down the line, I would love to hear about them. And any other opinions you have on the list or other boats you think I should consider are definitely appreciated!

Jack
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 06:45   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

If you want to know about Shannon Yachts contact David Walters @ david walters yachts in Florida. He owned Shannon.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 08:38   #23

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

Shannon are built like a rock and very comfortable underway..

In anything other than light summer breezes the performance will be plenty acceptable, the accommodations are adequate, and storage is great.

a great cruising boat.. but wont look cute at the marina.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:17   #24

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Thanks for the pointers. I already had a list of boats I've been watching for a while, and adding more viable choices is great. I'm going to be sailing the boat from NY to Maine, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Bermuda during summers for the next decade or so, but I would like to start crossing oceans a little later on and hopefully sail around the world when I'm ready to do so. My budget is around $60k-70k and my list includes:

Tayana 37
Baba 35
Alajuela 38
Rafiki 37
Corbin 39
Southern Cross 39
Valiant Esprit 37
Cabo Rico 38
Shannon 38
Waquiez Hood 38
Crealock 37
Morgan 384

I had never heard of the Gozzard so I will keep an eye on those as well. Looks nice. I had sorta stopped looking at Island Packets based on their really poor reputation for sailing performance, but I'm sure that compared with some of the other heavy and traditional boats on my list they're not too bad.

Some on the list may be hard to find in good condition in my budget, like the Crealock, Alajuela or Cabo Rico, but I'm still keeping an eye out. I don't want teak decks, but I don't mind a fair amount of teak trim or interior teak to maintain.

The Morgan is perhaps the oddball on my list in that it's not a cutter and it's a little more suited to the near-coastal plans than the offshore plans. If you know of any more like this, something maybe a little more fun to sail but still very sturdy and capable of being prepped for ocean crossings down the line, I would love to hear about them. And any other opinions you have on the list or other boats you think I should consider are definitely appreciated!

Jack
I hope you are not looking for faster trips since from that list the only one with a decent upwind and fast performance is the Waquiez 38 , also I guess with that budget the Cabo rico is out of the league? anyway its a excellent list for serious weather boats, the Alajuela looks fantastic, probably need a lot of wind , the Morgan is something diferent and a steep or 2 backwards in quality compared with the others in my opinion, no idea Gozzards but I know they are cored below the waterline with balsa//

If is me, I put my money in the Shanon or the Crealock, excellent list in my opinion..Cheers.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 10:56   #25

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Thanks for the feedback! Don't worry I'm not trying to set any speed records. My main interests are safety, comfort and quality, although hopefully the boat would be well balanced and reasonably fun to sail nonetheless.

As for the Morgan, I agree it is a step down in absolute quality compared to the other boats. The flip side is that given the same budget I could get one in better shape that has been more recently updated. It's also the difference between buying a boat for my more immediate purposes (the next ten years or so) versus buying one that will satisfy my plans for decades or life.

It's tough to know exactly what strategy will work best for me in the long run. I'm going to be patient and do my homework... and the longer I wait the more money I will have available to spend on something really great.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews