Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 12:24   #16

Re: Any reason not to put in an offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Being polite and friendly is important to me in all deals. But the word "fair" would not enter into it for me. Fair to who? What it is worth to you is the important number.
Nothing unfair. If the offer is too low, they have the option to decline or make a counter offer.

The polite part is to avoid having them throw out the offer because they are offended.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:42   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37

We closed on our Tayana in April, almost two years after we first looked at her. The price we paid was exactly half the original asking price. We also looked at a lovely Nordic 40 that was priced as $170,000. We thought about it... too long... it sold two weeks later for $135,000, about what we were thinking of offering.

Offer what you think the boat is worth. Don't play games. Tell the seller you love the boat, but believe it's priced above market value. He might not agree, but shouldn't be offended.

If the offer is rejected, and you are not in a big hurry, tell the owner you would like to be notified if he changes his mind about your offer or reduces his asking price.

Be kind. Be friendly. It goes a long way.
Old 09-01-2014, 14:04   #18

Make your offer! When we were shopping there was a boat we wanted soooo badly- but about 40k over our budget. It had been on the market for a long time and other similar boats were all over the place- but the only ones selling were those priced at the range we wanted. So we called the broker and asked if they would consider our offer legitimately. He laughed. Eight months later the boat is on the market still- at guess what price?????? That's right! What our offer was.
When we first started our boat search we were talking to a broker and asking him what he thought the value of a boat was for sale. He looked at us and said-
offer what you think. Don't worry about insulting anyone. He had sold a boat not long before listed for 400k- guy offered 250k and he walked with a boat.
I used the same thinking last time we bought a car. Used Porsche boxster. Dealer wanted 18.5k and it just wasn't there. Needed a few repairs. My husband didn't want to insult him with our offer and I told him to just tell them. Got our car for 140000. Make your offers, the worst anyone can say is no!

Monica
Mknebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 15:06   #19

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helbent View Post
Thanks for the replies...and clear consensus. We now have three boats that we consider contenders: a valiant 40, a cabo Rico 38, and a baba 35. So we will make an offer on one in the coming days, knowing we can move on to the next. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

In your position, I put in 3 offers and let everyone know that 3 offers were out there.

If all 3 boats are acceptable to you, why wouldn't you put in 3 offers at the same time?

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 15:55   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helbent View Post
Thanks for the replies...and clear consensus. We now have three boats that we consider contenders: a valiant 40, a cabo Rico 38, and a baba 35. So we will make an offer on one in the coming days, knowing we can move on to the next. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
The Valiant 40 and Cabo Rico are great boats. I'm always eying the Cabo Rico 38 for myself. Those lines just call to me. I'll be jealous if you get the Cabo and wish that the hatch over where you sleep, leaks...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 16:02   #21

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Alex View Post
You can always make an offer close to asking price, keeping in mind that you can renegotiate after you conduct a survey. That way you have solid justification for reducing the purchase price. Of course you run the risk of a survey with no major problems and no ammo for price reduction....not such a bad thing either.
Regardless, one needs a substantial reserve ($$$$$) after purchase to correct deficiencies and update the boat to your satisfaction.
Old 09-01-2014, 16:25   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The worst they can do is laugh at you. Or maybe say yes.

If you can hear the loud guffaws, you can always send them a bottle of good rum along with your formal apology and a much higher bid.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 02:15   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

no reason not to put in an offer (of whatever you want).

Having said that, how you make that offer could make a difference - depending on the broker concerned. A freindly chat (telephone or in person) about whether it would be worth bothering to put in a formal offer at $XXX (with some reasoning for your offer) may work better than a simple e-mail out of the blue (which some Brokers may simply not pass on or respond to - for reasons of their own, whether mental illness or laziness).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:22   #24

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
no reason not to put in an offer (of whatever you want).

Having said that, how you make that offer could make a difference - depending on the broker concerned. A freindly chat (telephone or in person) about whether it would be worth bothering to put in a formal offer at $XXX (with some reasoning for your offer) may work better than a simple e-mail out of the blue (which some Brokers may simply not pass on or respond to - for reasons of their own, whether mental illness or laziness).
Well put.
If you've bought and sold enough boats yourself or have dealt with enough brokers over the years you'd understand that in either case you deal with a lot of dreamers and tire kickers who have nothing better to do than waste your valuable time. If your a private seller they take up your personal time, if your a broker it takes up your professional time, in the first case it wastes time you would rather be using for more pleasurable pursuits, in the other case it wastes valuable time you could be using to make a living.
Being a broker isn't an easy living, especially in the last few years, so you have to weed out the tire kickers and pursue the more realistic leads. Just emailing a low ball offer may get you ignored, making a call, forming a personal connection and stating your case for the offer will go much further, it will let them know your serious. They may also have leads on other boats in your range.
Just remember, for the broker it's a business, so they have to make judgement calls when deciding on where to focus your efforts, otherwise they'll be living in their car.
I'm not a broker but have bought and sold enough boats to know better, now I advertise one then set up a "showing" on a particular afternoon, whoever wants to see it can come during those hours. It saves a lot of running around for no reason.
I've seen some of the same characters show up to look at boats years apart, still looking for a boat, it's a strange crowd.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:21   #25

Boat: Tayana 52

We told the broker the boat purchase involved 3 parties, all of whom had a financial stake. If he wanted the sale then we would move a bit but he would also have to drop his commission to get across the line.
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 17:41   #26

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Helbent, as someone who is both currently selling and buying a boat right now, my 2 cents is that the seller will want all offers. As mentioned above, it is totally respectable to leave your contact details so that they can contact you later if their urgency changes.
Laulena3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 19:56   #27

Boat: ex: 44' steel cutter currently a 9' avon!

All brokers can see the SOLD price of every boat of that kind. They know exactly what the boat is "worth". They also only make money when a boat is sold. A good broker can encourage the seller to take a fair price. He wants the boat gone so he can quit showing it, and pare down his inventory to make room for more. In the two years I spent as a yacht broker in San Diego we never wanted to not present an offer.
sail2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 21:36   #28

I would like to add something to this thread that might help you. Something I did not notice anybody mention. Listening. I don't know if you have seen any of these boats in person or not, that's a whole other topic. Obviously being polite shouldn't hurt you no matter what offer you put in. Offer 30% of the asking price in a half jokingly matter. You never know. The delivery is the key to any punchline. When you call the broker your negotiation will start with that conversation as soon as he says hello. The best thing to do while negotiating, is to say as little as possible. Ask about the owner and how he has used the boat or what he might be like in any way. Why are they selling the boat. How often did they use the boat.The more you carry on about your hopes and desires the more you give up your hand. So try to gather as much info as to their side of the sail.

Good luck.
rukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 14:22   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

In any retail business you've got lookie-loos versus buyers and any successful salesman has found ways to tell the two apart and maximize the one over the other.

But some brokers are getting paid for every month the boat sits, one way or another, as a dock bill or a favor to a yard or whatnot. And they know that if the buyer says "My boat is worth fifty grand!" all they are going to do is insult the buyer and lose the deal when they say no, really, it isn't worth half of that. So do you insult the buyer and have them take the boat away? Or let them learn the hard way, and try to get paid for the storage costs in the meantime?

I think any broker would tell you, the sellers can be just as delusional as the buyers. There's an art to prequalifying both sides, and getting the deals made.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2014, 14:39   #30

You are the best judge of price having watched the market for quite a while. 40% high might make sense.. some boats sell for 60% of asking.... I would just explain your offer to the broker, be nice and state why you want to offer that. He is obligated to present your offer... the more you convince/sell him it's right... the more info he has to convince the seller...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer