Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2009, 07:00   #46

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Well, there's a nice Ovni 385 for sale in NJ. If I had a spare 300K lying around, I might go look at it.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2009, 05:33   #47

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
here Index of /files/sailing/5-9-oct-2009 you find many pictures of the alubat ovni 385 i sailed.
bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 03:40   #48
Kev

Hi all, and all the best for the new year ! (a bit late but we are just back onshore)

For those interested in Ovni boats, there is an ovni owner's club in france with a well documented site (see my signature, in case it does'nt work, it's : Ovni-Club : Alubat sailboats Ovni yachts Owners Association fr ) and several members like ourselves going around the world. Some discussions on how these boats handle bad or severe weather, but unfortunately all in french ! So i am afraid you'll need to use Google or Babelfish. There has been an effort to develop some english version, but very little info so far compared to the french part.
Old 15-01-2010, 14:01   #49

Boat: Catana 431
I have live aboard our Qvni 435 for the past 1 1/2 years and navigated some 6000 NM witn my wife and our baby daugther (4 months old when we left Denmark). I did not have any experience with the Ovni's when we bought it, but I have since gained a confidence that even Hallberg Rassy will find it hard to compeed with. This lifting keel design seems like a religion - people either hate it or love it. Personally i belong in the latter group. Off cause people mention (what they call...) poor stability figures. Well naturally - having all the ballast inside the hull (the centerboard is only a 40 mm alu plate at 150 kgs), this gives a lot of advantages. Firstly; the position of the centerboard does not alter the stability of the boat - but in heavy weather, lifting the centerboard severly minimises the risk of a broach. In fact the pointing ability of the boat is fantastic when surfing those big waves with the centerboard up. Off cause the GZ is not as a Hallberg Rassy - which for some is important! What needs to be considered though, is that this figure is a "static calculated" figure that expresses the rightening torque at various heeling angles. At a certaing angle, the rightening force becomes zero, which means that the boat is not able to recover and will capsize. Is is tempting to think that "the higher this angle - the better" - and that is right, but what needs to be in this equation is how this "better" GZ is achieved. When (which is surely the case) this is achived by a heavy keel, the boat will also have higher lateral resistance in the water. In the real world, what is likely to capsize a boat is a breaking wave beam on. For a keel boat (with a high GZ), this will - when being hit by the wave - not slide sideways, and whilst the uper part of the boat is pushed by the wave, then "the lower part" will be held in place by the lateral resistance, thus a high risk of a knock down is present. For a boat with the centerboard up (low lateral resistance), the boat will "slide sideways" and point away from the wave, thus the risk of a knock down severely reduced. Off cause it needs an alert and competent skipper but still. Gues what I'm trying to say here is that "calculated figures are one thing, but the conditions putting those figures to the test in the real world is quite another".
Being quite wide, those boats provide great live aboard space (not like a catameran - but still wery nice).

We have recently found out that we are now expecting our number two child and for that reason, we are putting our cruising plans on hold for 5 years - hence we are selling our Ovni 435 (2004). This is advertised elsewhere, but feel free to contact me for more details.
ATLAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 18:04   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Last week we were to buy a 43' aluminum schooner but the deal feel through during survey. We then went back to Yachtworld and found a 37' Trisalu that had been recently listed. It is an aluminum version of a Trismus. Very nice alloy boat with a pilot house.

Alas the boat had numerous issues. For someone with a good budget and who thought working on alloy boats was fun it might be ideal. But not for us.

None-the-less it got us looking for other Trisalu's. We found one in Canada, but no pilothouse.

However there is a Trisbaltique in Martinique that looks very inviting. Owner appears to be French and there is a significant language barrier. Having just gone through a failed purchase at a distance we are hesitant to do it again. Yet, from the pic it is a damn nice boat.

occasion TRISBALTIQUE 45 puissance de 50 cv de 1984

Anyone out here have any idea of this boat? Where I could get some specs and or additional pics? Any ideas welcome.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 01:16   #51
Kev

Hello hpeer,

Just found additionnal info in french on this boat (which i have attached below after using the GG translator).
Not easy to give you good advice since very few of these boats have been built. It's not expensive for an aluminum boat (80 k €, as a comparison i bought my 6 years old Ovni more than 3X this) but it's an old boat (84), so you can expect some maintenance work. Would also look for an expert who actually knows aluminum boats (e.g. not only hull, electrical equipment, ...)

Here is the GG translation (approx. !)
Author: MACLOGIN
created on:: 27-11-2009
Price: 80000 €
Manufacturer: Other
Type: Keelboat
Year: 1984
Length: 13.96 m
Width: 4.20 m

Jacques Deflesselles
Marina Port Cohé 97232 Le Lamentin

Mobile: 0696 739045

Mail: djo.972 @ hotmail.fr

Hello,

DJO, or TRISBALTIQUE 45 is a dinghy full in AG4, built in 1984 by the site Alumarine plans Trisinox 43.
Its launch follows the purchase invoice for the engine (1988) seems possible that year.

Its main features are:
- LOA: 13.96 m
- Beam: 4.20 m
- T. E: 3 / 1.00 m
- Engine: BMW D 52
- Rig: cutter
- Water: 500 L
- Gas oil: 350 L

Architect: Jean Pierre BROUNS
Manufacturer: Yannick HERISSE / tel: 0240 651931
Food: DJO West Indies 2008

Purchased in 1992, returned in the condition in 1998, he naviguat 3500 miles in the Caribbean until July 2000 when he was put ashore, unarmed for various reasons, among others, the exchange engine, rudders rings of the mast, a divorce and a reform of the arrangement int. including the possibility of installing a watermaker and a freezer.

The total armament of the vessel was stored after verification or restoration and is in the attached inventory, all in good condition, new to see some gear.

During reset 2008-03, the paintings of dead works are completed to date and work is continuing.

DJO is primarily an offshore family cruiser where comfort at sea and at anchor was the editorial line of its restoration and the establishment of 2 rudders and modified adrift ar. gives a very stable under spinnaker, the addition of a bow thruster allows better maneuvering in restricted areas and the addition of several panels of bridge provides a real breakdown.

The purchase offer includes subject of an agreement to sell 10% of a deed and a period of 3 months for delivery, parking fees and the work remaining to my office.

The dock dues paid and francization 2008 will follow shortly.

Qques attached files, others are available at your convenience.

Best regards,

J Deflesselles

INVENTORY DJO to 08/03/08
Each element is followed by its source of origin, its first use and its repair or replacement.

Rigging
- Set the mast / boom Nirvana 84/08
-Was / backstay / Was Staysail shipshop 98/08
Shrouds-Nirvana 84/08
- Inter Nirvana 84/08
Runner-Fittings + P. Nautical 99/08
- Winch genoa halyards Barlow 25 88/08
- Winch halyards G.V. Barlow 24 88/08
- Winch bumps laugh Barlow 24 88/08
- Reel Profurl / Was releasable V. Thunder 98/08
- Pole / Jockey pool P. Nautical 98/08
- Boute-hors P. Nautical 98/08
- Walder boom brake 98/08
- Chocks eccentric (2) Spinlock 98/08

Running rigging
- Halyards / plays / alternative + V. Thunder / Impact 98/08
- Lewmar Blocks / Grateau 98/08
- Shackles / Hooks Wichard / P.N. 98/08

Sailmaker
- G.V. batten awning + V. Thunder / Impact 98/08
- Genoa furling awning + V. Thunder / Impact 98/08
- Jib inter (E. releasable) V. Thunder 98/08
- Heavy spinnaker sock + V. Thunder 98/08
- Asymmetrical spinnaker sock + V. Thunder 98/08
- Staysail Origin / Impact 84/08
Tormentine Origin 84/08
- Swedish P.N. 00/08

Equipment directional
-Safran (2) J.D. 98/08
- Cylinder Lecombe and Schmit 98/08
- Hydroelectric / bar pump Wagner 84/08
- Connections / Tiller J.D. 98/08
- Bow thruster Vetus / J.D. 98/08
- Drift av, ar Origin / J.D. 84/08

Deck Equipment
- Electric windlass 1500 W Goïot 98/08
- Winch laborers Ave. Barlow 24 88/08
- Winch hoist drift + av Lewmar 44 98/08
- Winch furling genoa Barlow 24 88/08
- Winch runners (2) Barlow 25 88/08
- Winch plays (2) Lewmar 65 88/08
- Rails (G. V. Ec) Goïot 84/08
- Trucks plays Goïot / Barbarossa 98/08
- Lewmar Blocks / Grateau 98/08
- Chocks eccentric (9) Spinlock 98/08
- Steering wheel hydraulic Wagner 84/08
- + Column / com. Engine W / Morse 84/08
- Solar Aerators (2) Vetus 99/08
- Solar Bridge (21) Lewmar / Goïot 98/08
- 15mm panels Altuglass A. Mirrors 98/08
- Roll bar Rear: sup Schedule / HB / antenna / solar JD 98/08
- Bimini Impact 98/08
- Capote descent Impact 98/08
- Covers deck (pic av, av cab and square) Impact 98/08
- Tracks, straps living Thunder 98/08

Anchorage
- (HP Fob 45) 40 m m braided channel 12/40 P. 24 Nautical 98/08
- Bruce 70/20 m 12/50 m braided channel 24 P. Nautical 98/08
- Fortress 22/gueuses10K braided m 45/50 (4) P. Nautical 98/08
- Fob 15 P. Nautical 98/08
- Fenders (3 +1) 1000x350 P. Nautical 99/08
- Orin + rope (20 m) P. Nautical 08

Appendices
- Semi-rigid AB + 2.40 m awning CSServices / Impact 98/08
- HB 10 Pro + Mercury Accessories Trade Winds Nautical 08

Propulsion
- Engine (50ch, D50 / 2) B.M.W 08
- Accessories / Hurth inverter 2 / 2 starter / 2 interchange
- Documentation
- Shaft stainless d35, joined ERCEM, ring hydrolube, anodes 98/08
- Vetus Propeller Bronze / Fhélice 98/08

Electrical Equipment
- Batteries (4) 08
- Engine / windlass / thruster: 180 A / H
- Currency: 240 A / H (3)
- Charger 350 Amp Blandin 98/08
- 140 Amp Alternator S. C. Services 98/08
- Solar Panel 50 W (4) Navy Budget 98/08
- Table + engine protection BMW / Goïot 08
- Electrical J.D. / Craftsman 98/08
- Table and fuses Bi-Polar (4) Blandin 98/08
- Neon and halogen P. Nautical 98/08
- Fires mast P. Nautical 98/08
- Fresh water pump Flojet 12v P. Nautical 99/08
- Cold Group 12 v / 5 Amp Dan Foss / J.D. 08

Electronic Equipment
- Log / sounder Hunter Series B & G 88/08
- Digital Barometer AAA P. Nautical 98/08
- VHF MIDLAND EBAY 08
- Radio Grundig YB 400 C. S. Services 98/08
- Standard C Sailor S. C. Services 00
- Autopilot Wagner / SE 88/08 Ltd.
- Garmin GPS Map 180 Marine Budget 99/08
(- Notebook ACER Aspire 1350 Surcouf 04)
(- 3 in 1 printer HP 1110 pst Surcouf 04)
- 12/220 converter v 1500w Prowatt CSServices 98/08
- Converter 220/24 v Télémécanique Blandin 01

Safety Equipment (5 category Armed 03/06/98)
- Equipment 1 ° apart
- Bib
- Rockets 08
- Fire extinguishers 08
- Bilge pump double acting Plastimo 98/08
- Electric bilge pump (2) P. Nautical 98/08

General Facilities
- Freshwater Tanks 250 L x 2 Origin 98/08
- Tanks of gas oil 175 L x 2 0rigine 98/08
- Toilet Bridey P. Nautical 98/08
- Foot Pump Whale MK3 P. Nautical 98/08
- 3 burner stove oven Force 10 Navy Budget 98/08
- Gas bottle 6 Kg (2) Martinique 98/08
- Vacuum Aquavac DIY 08
- Storage equipment (water, diesel, gasoline, food) 98/08
- Hardware Maintenance (sail, various tools) 98/08
- Bathroom Scale, BQ, Fish (sm, stick, train, trammel) 98/08

Note: This inventory does not include the following items,
- Watermaker SPW400 PN / VMTec 86

- Windvane Aries 86
Old 16-01-2010, 01:50   #52

Boat: OVNI 435 - Pelerin
However there is a Trisbaltique in Martinique that looks very inviting. Owner appears to be French and there is a significant language barrier. Having just gone through a failed purchase at a distance we are hesitant to do it again. Yet, from the pic it is a damn nice boat.

occasion TRISBALTIQUE 45 puissance de 50 cv de 1984

Anyone out here have any idea of this boat? Where I could get some specs and or additional pics? Any ideas welcome.[/QUOTE]

Jean-Pierre Brouns is still very active, so you might try contacting him via his website Architecture navale - Jean-Pierre Brouns

Not all of the boats he has designed appear on his site, but his contact details are all listed.

Good luck.
Sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 02:27   #53
Kev

Good idea to contact JP Brouns !

Just found out Trisalu, Trisbal, Trisbaltique, Trisinox, ... are all JP Brouns designs, following the TRISMUS 32 and 43.
TRISMUS are old but well known ocean cruising boats.
Old 16-01-2010, 17:44   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
I found a French blog that talked about these boats. Was able to get through it pretty well using Google Translate. That works pretty well.

Something on that site really put me off. A couple of posters mentioned some corrosion issues at the seam between the plating and the keel. While some did not find it an issue still others found it fairly common. Having just looked at a Trisalu last week that had just this very sort of corrosion issue I did not take that lightly. I was crawling around under the boat and saw some corrosion and poked it with my knife. Not good. It must have been leaking if only slowly, but the leak was into the integral fresh water tanks. The boat was sitting in fresh water so maybe the Owner never noticed it. Then, upon further examination, I found a plated over patch on the opposite side of the boat. There they had cut the top out of the integral tank to effect the patch, even though it was plated over.

We have been fooling around looking at boats for over two years. Most of the time just arguing about what we really want and what is important. At this point we will go back to the devil we know - steel.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 18:03   #55
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
We have been living onboard and cruising now for 9 months and the one thing that is a constant source of irrratation is having a keel ! {we draw 2 metres}.We love our steel yacht but if there was one thing i could wish for above all else it would be to have the draught of a cat or Ovni. If i had realized what an issue this would have been i think perhaps i would have waited a bit longer and saved a few more bucks for the cat or Ovni. But too late now as we are on our way!

www.byamee.com
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 00:28   #56

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLAS View Post
Off cause people mention (what they call...) poor stability figures. Well naturally - having all the ballast inside the hull (the centerboard is only a 40 mm alu plate at 150 kgs),
The stability figures are poor. Compare them to another lift keeler, Southerly 110. The Southerly have excellent AVS and STIX with the keel down and only a small reduction with the keel all the way up in the hull.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2010, 10:53   #57

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Well. for more than 2 years now, what to get..... cat or OVNI.
wife gave up, it will be an OVNI.
so now its between a 395 and a 445.
------
it feels so good. finaly she gave up the battel.
This is better then sex.

will be back with more.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 04:32   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
The stability figures are poor. Compare them to another lift keeler, Southerly 110. The Southerly have excellent AVS and STIX with the keel down and only a small reduction with the keel all the way up in the hull.
Well if you are a bit smart, what is the big diff between Ovni and Southerly, when the keel is up on bouth boats ?
Where is the ballast plased then, ? at the same place ?

you do the mat.
Old 23-05-2010, 01:00   #59

Welcome to the OVNI-Club : Board communications - Forum nautique OVNI-Club

the french forum for OVNI in english
Old 23-05-2010, 02:29   #60

some more info
The OVNI 435 has a ballast ratio of 135%—about average for today’s cruising yachts, and has high form stability, as we found when we sailed her home recently. The stability value is 34.15, and the Angle of Vanishing Stability (AVS) is 126.57, within the boundaries deemed acceptable for ocean crossing. The capsize screening value is 1.84, anything less than 2 being considered good. So looking solely at the stability numbers there is little to be overly critical about.

info from : In-Depth Discussion of Aluminum Boat Design & Selection, Part III|Offshore Sailboat Voyaging|Attainable Adventure Cruising

in here there is a lot off good info.

careka

Tags
ovni