Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2018, 10:26   #16

Boat: Southerly
Re: Any interest in a new build thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 3 View Post
Noelex 77 is that a Berckemeyer?

Yes the kevlar is the choice for burst resistance. I have a set of drawings with 2 layers scheduled outer and 2 inner.

The rib cage of this hull certainly looks robust.

Would you know which core and thickness they use?
I'll ask next time in the factory and let you know. a
Around the keel/grounding plate area its extremely strong since that must take the entire weight of the boat when it is dried out.
Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2018, 10:31   #17

As Noelex has asked here are some of the main decisions on M and E We are going with a 24v system with MV lithium batteries, charging through a second 24v 75 amp alternator (the standard 12v alt will just charge the engine/generator start batt) and an Onan genset charging through a MV Ultra Combi with 100amp charger (and 3500watt inverter). The options around Solar/Hydro we have provided for, but will not actually install until we have some time on board to determine the exact requirement. I tried to pre determine usage last time and got it mostly wrong.

These are the batteries installed this week, seems very little AH compared to our previous 12v AGM bank, but Im confident(ish) in my math.

Other decisions have been to use Raymarine electronics and as much water tankage as we can fit (around 200gals) hoping to avoid adding a watermaker until later on in our travels, although space and some preparation is being done. We haven't fitted aircon at this stage, but the genset is man enough (6kva) to run it if required, and the installation spaces for units in three cabins have been left available/accessible.

We have also chosen synthetic decks in an effort to eliminate any exterior wood, to reduce the time spent looking after it and as such we have chosen a fairly light silver/grey colour rather than trying to emulate teak which is the standard fit. Its DekKing G2.

Selden aluminium spars Furlex for the double headsails and inmast for the main which is standard on the 480. Sails will be Vectran cloth

So she will be quite a simple spec when compared to what the builders are used to, but doubtless she will get more kit grafted on as we go....

Will go into a bit more of the rationale as these things turn up in the build sequence...

Some machinery arrived a while back, and is now installed, the main engine is a Yanmar 4JH80, caught just as it was released from the box. 80hp powers the boat very well. A feathering 4 blade MaxProp will be installed at some point. I haven't opted for an aqua drive, on the basis of KISS.

The genset was still all wrapped up and is now installed but here is the mounting which ends up under the raised saloon.

The model is an Onan 6kva. I had short-listed a Fisher Panda 5 Neo originally since it is smaller and lighter than the Onan and its principal use initially will be battery charging, but there is just the possibility we might want other kit installed later, and I wouldn't want to find we needed to change the genset as well.
Old 17-10-2018, 11:36   #18

Whilst the main build process continues apace in one part of the factory cabinetry is being produced next door, here is a picture of some of the joinery being built, CNC cut parts are hand assembled and finished, Discovery are well known for having a very high standard of finish:

This assembly then receives some lacquer and looks like

You might be able to see a couple of grooves cut into the solid wood by the hinges, normally these are filled with contrasting light or dark wood strips, but we are going for stainless, its quite difficult to do compared to wood apparently but I approved the mock up pictured here resting on the corner of the forecabin berth, committed now:

Discovery also do there own marquetry, here's the mockup they sent through so I could choose which woods:

This compass will be on the outside of the folded leaves of the saloon table, but normally they are placed centrally on the inside:

Were not really testing their skills much, but its good to see their craftsmanship as well as boat building skills
Old 18-10-2018, 00:21   #19

OK so whilst the furniture is being made, and to get back on course with the main build once the hull moulding and main bulkheads engine mounts etc have been put in the floor grids start to go in. Most of this is constructed like this:

So this picture shows the main saloon and forecabin area. Lower centre is the TekTanks main water tank, in the middle is the keel box, the aperture on the side is for the retaining pin used to pin the keel fully up. Top slot is where the lifting pennant goes through, and the large hole is an inspection/maintenance hatch giving access to the pennant attachment.

Forecabin area showing the bowthruster tube, and some access holes for the speed/depth transducer etc.

Sail locker and chain locker shown here, both bulkheads are watertight when the chain locker access door is in place the underwater sections of the hull here also have Kevlar incorporated. There is a hatch in the sail locker to access a bilge pump and a small ladder is installed to get in/out.

A shot of the lazarette area at roughly the same time(but not yet flocoated), showing gas locker and storage area. Two hatches in the watertight bulkhead on the left give access to the Lewmar Mamba steering gear and autopilot drive
Old 19-10-2018, 04:51   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
It is a Bestevear 49 built by KM.

There is a thread on the build here:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...147499-98.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Chen View Post
You might be able to see a couple of grooves cut into the solid wood by the hinges, normally these are filled with contrasting light or dark wood strips, but we are going for stainless, its quite difficult to do compared to wood apparently but I approved the mock up pictured here resting on the corner of the forecabin berth, committed now:
The contrast of wood and metal looks fantastic. Garcia do something similar with an insert of anodised aluminium recessed into the timber.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 04:51   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:

Quote:
The contrast of wood and metal looks fantastic. Garcia do something similar with an insert of anodised aluminium recessed into the timber.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2018, 05:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

Glad you like it, I copied the idea from a an old staircase where the treads had twin steel inlays on their outer edge as non slip.
Old 24-10-2018, 05:18   #23

OK so picking up from where the floor grid and tanks are in place, the next stage is the installation of the furniture and at the same time a lot of wiring plumbing and other engineering work goes on.

The build teams have a known sequence so they are not working in each others way all the time but my visits don't really capture that aspect.

The engine has also been slotted in to its home by this stage and the generator is in position, much of the structure added after this is designed to be easily dissembled to ensure these larger elements are removable in the event they need to be replaced at some point (hopefully not for many years).

So here's the furniture modules for the saloon being trial fitted. You can also see the tank tops with fuel lines for generator, engine and heating, and in the top right are the changeover taps for the two tanks.

A while later it looks like this now with one unit covering the keel box and various others underway. On the left in this photo you can see the galley modules at a similar stage, whilst in the middle of the pic, you can just make out a water separator for the generator.

Later still the modules are all in place

Access down to the space under the saloon is through the hatches dead centre of the picture, this area has lighting installed, and is sufficient room to access the generator as required. This is how it looks in its home with some work in progress on the various pipes etc.

So here's the same sequence going on for the forecabin

Berth and heads going in

Still a couple of cupboards to go

Aft cabin at the same time

Old 24-10-2018, 13:32   #24

Here is the layout plan for the Southerly 480, which I hadn't posted before (For simplicity I pinched this off the Distant Shores site hence the berth numbers. DS have agreed to this):

Most have opted for this layout with some small alterations, but we have a two cabin layout so our forecabin covers all the space in front of the saloon, and has a central island berth and desk, with some extra vertical hull ports. In one boat the berth number 3 has been turned into cabinetry, and includes a third fridge, they can also make the pullman cabin 5/6 into a workshop surface with stowage cupboards under, and a berth cushion on top of the work surface as a single berth crew cabin. so a lot can be tweaked.

Discovery are very willing to discuss any requirement, but of course the cost can mount if there is a lot of design work, particularly if it is unlikely anyone else will go with the same design. We were lucky with the 2 cabin version as another customer also wanted that approach. More importantly they will resist any compromise to the structure especially where it might impact on the certification.

This coupled with a choice of any wood finish (they do their own veneering) leathers and fabrics makes the boats very unique to the client. As an example we wanted to use walnut with the grain laid horizontally, except for the cabin doors which have both vertical and horizontal grain. The standard woodwork has inlaid contrasting strips set in to the solid wood fiddle rails around the berths and seating, but we asked them to use stainless steel inserts, and they have accommodated this. They have also changed some of the details around the vertical hull ports so that we can hide the roller-blinds and achieve a properly dark cabin.

The two cabin layout we have ordered for comparison:

Old 24-10-2018, 21:40   #25

Quote:

Would you know which core and thickness they use?
Steve 3, the core is Divinycel and from memory I think they said it was 30mm.
Old 25-10-2018, 20:39   #26

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Here is the layout plan for the Southerly 480, which I hadn't posted before (For simplicity I pinched this off the Distant Shores site hence the berth numbers. DS have agreed to this):

Most have opted for this layout with some small alterations, but we have a two cabin layout so our forecabin covers all the space in front of the saloon, and has a central island berth and desk, with some extra vertical hull ports. In one boat the berth number 3 has been turned into cabinetry, and includes a third fridge, they can also make the pullman cabin 5/6 into a workshop surface with stowage cupboards under, and a berth cushion on top of the work surface as a single berth crew cabin. so a lot can be tweaked.

Discovery are very willing to discuss any requirement, but of course the cost can mount if there is a lot of design work, particularly if it is unlikely anyone else will go with the same design. We were lucky with the 2 cabin version as another customer also wanted that approach. More importantly they will resist any compromise to the structure especially where it might impact on the certification.

This coupled with a choice of any wood finish (they do their own veneering) leathers and fabrics makes the boats very unique to the client. As an example we wanted to use walnut with the grain laid horizontally, except for the cabin doors which have both vertical and horizontal grain. The standard woodwork has inlaid contrasting strips set in to the solid wood fiddle rails around the berths and seating, but we asked them to use stainless steel inserts, and they have accommodated this. They have also changed some of the details around the vertical hull ports so that we can hide the roller-blinds and achieve a properly dark cabin.

The two cabin layout we have ordered for comparison:

Have to say, really loving the layout that you guys came up with. I also will say that stainless steel inlay on your fiddle rails looks beautiful. Great choice and I'm happy to see that they accommodated it!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 22:50   #27

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Southerly 480 - Build Thread?

I’ve changed my mind about the answer to your original question. I don’t want to see this thread any more as it’s making me all envious!
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 00:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Have to say, really loving the layout that you guys came up with. I also will say that stainless steel inlay on your fiddle rails looks beautiful. Great choice and I'm happy to see that they accommodated it!
Thank you for saying so, we have been very pleased with Discovery's "can do" attitude.
Old 26-10-2018, 09:04   #29

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I am not in a financial position to have a boat built at the moment. Maybe one day in the future, but knowing they have this attitude is incredibly nice as I have often suspected that most builders don't deviate from the plans.

I've always loved distant shores vessel and capability of places they are able to go(along with being able to beach her). If I ever am in a position where I get a vessel built(other than building it myself), I will have discovery at the top of the list!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 10:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I am not in a financial position to have a boat built at the moment. Maybe one day in the future, but knowing they have this attitude is incredibly nice as I have often suspected that most builders don't deviate from the plans.

I've always loved distant shores vessel and capability of places they are able to go(along with being able to beach her). If I ever am in a position where I get a vessel built(other than building it myself), I will have discovery at the top of the list!
Yes Southerly's are indeed a versatile yacht, which was one of the main attractions for us. Many thanks for your post, I sahll pass on your comments to the guys building the boat!

Tags
Discovery 48, Discovery Yachts, Lifting keel, Southerly, Southerly 480, Southerly yachts