Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2020, 08:41   #1

Boat: Bluewater Ingrid 38
Any Ingrid 38 owners out there?

Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster.

Regardless, I have just recently acquired a lovely fiberglass Ingrid 38 ketch. This is hull #40 built by Water boats">Blue Water Boats.
I have lots of questions to ask other owners or folks familiar with the boat. It seems that there are hints of an I38 owners group out there but the links are dead or inactive. Could this be? Could there be no active I38 group? I also understand there there is a facebook group, but I'd rather not join FB.
Please reach out if you can point me in a direction or you are an Ingrid owner and would like to get a group going.

So, my new Ingrid Rose is a sweetheart. I had been told in the past that you want to buy your boats from retired engineers...and as luck would have it... She has been well taken care of and very much considered before drilling a hole.

The main question on my mind right now is the waterline. Visually, she appears bow heavy. The previous owner had removed 2000lbs of lead pigs from under the cabin sole (which he still has and will give back to the boat) because the engine exhaust was submerged just below the waterline. I'm wondering if the placement of the exhaust thru hull is lower than it should be. Or maybe this thru hull should be moved? Or does it matter that much if there is a vented loop?

As for the waterline I have measurements from where she sits-
Stern-at top of cap rail- 51.5" to WL
Bow -at top of cap rail- 52" to WL
Bowsprit 63" to WL

If any Ingrid owner could take some measurements I would be deeply grateful. I understand the variables involved like chain in the bow, etc, but a general idea is what I'm looking for.

As for the rest of the build, I see many features that I think are much more favorable than many other boat of this era and style (heavy displacement double enders)

For example-

-fiberglass fuel and water tank integrated into the hull with plenty of inspection ports. I think this is a good idea. Am I not seeing the major drawbacks?

-no teak decks ever! we all love teak deck on other peoples boats, but you know

- the cockpit sole is easily removable

-stanchions are fix to the bulwarks, not on deck

-the engine has a room and provides lots of access

-I know that these were kit boats and can be a mixed bag, but this one in particular was fit by the pros and the interior joinery and layout is excellent

Anyways, I hope to meet other owners and also hear from the vast pool of knowledge thats out there.

thx
IngridRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 11:58   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Any Ingrid 38 owners out there?

I believe that most boats are designed so the cabin sole is level at rest. Perhaps a simple check with a carpenters level would be useful to you.

And FWIW, I've long thought the Ingrid to be the best of the popular double ended cruising designs in the mid-size range. Lovely lines above and below the WL. (And this from a died-in-the-wool modern boat lover)... so enjoy her well.

Jim
Old 19-11-2020, 07:54   #3

Thanks for the advice, the cabin sole measured out at 1 1/4" decline over 4' adding up to 12" heavy in the bow. The lead will be going back to the bilge.

This will, however, put the exhaust thru hull back to well below the waterline. How immediately necessary would it be to move the thru hull. Or is it necessary? The boat has existed for over 40 years and the original Volvo is still in great shape... I just shudder at the thought of not being able to see raw water spitting from the exhaust. Is this reasonable?
Old 29-12-2020, 18:39   #4

Hey,
Congratulations on owning a great Ingrid! This boat is one I built up from a partially completed hull from Bluewater, a while back. I did a lot of the interior, with professional help, and most of the exterior and any screwups are my doing! . I designed and installed all the rigging (masts, angles, rudder, pulpits, stanchions, etc) based on drawings from Jerry Usted at Bluewater. Made a few changes, yet found the boat to be a too bit tender. I put the ton of lead in the bilge and it made all the difference - smooth powerful sailing in light to heavy winds! I didn't worry about the exhaust coming out underwater as there was always a stream of cooling water coming out of a hose overboard just under the cap rail in the starboard side of the cockpit (except when super low RPM's). Never had a problem. The original owner had mounted the bowsprit attachment too low, but the boat had never seen the water, so it was probably hard to know exactly where to put it. I understand why someone would remove the lead ballast from the bilge, but I never saw a problem with the bobstay being underwater. When sailing, even if 6" higher at rest, it is likely underwater...no problem. Hopefully you have put the lead back in the bilge - if not I encourage you to do so, as the overall sailing will greatly improve. Happy to talk further.
Alan Jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 12:24   #5

WOW!! Great to hear from you!

You did an excellent job. The interior is beautiful and still in like new condition. I did return the lead to the bilge which lowered the aft waterline about 2.5" and raised the bow maybe 2". I was hoping for more. I still think that the bow is heavy. The sole is still far from level and she just doesn't sit quite as graceful as maybe she should. I know the 2 diesel tanks in the engine room could use some fuel, but I still don't think that this will do it. I was thinking of stowing extra chain in the lazarette. Regardless, I'd love to pick your brain and hear your stories, see old pics of Ingrid Rose, etc, as this history is priceless.

Do you still live in the bay? If so, I'd like to take you out for a sail one of these days.

Feel free to continue on this chat forum but I will also send you a private message with my contacts.

Look forward to chatting more.
Old 22-09-2021, 07:23   #6

Hello, My wife and I have just purchased an Ingrid 38. Hull #59 and her name is "Alaskason". Currently located in Rio Dulce, Guatemala. We're still getting familiar with her, emptying the lockers, taking inventory, cleaning and painting. Would be delighted to make contact with other Ingrid 38 owners. Are you still interested in the measurements you inquired about previously?
Sharkbait Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 08:31   #7

Hi Sharkbait, thanks for reaching out and congrats on your new Ingrid! I am still very interested in the measurements. I know that these Bluewater Ingrid’s vary quite a bit in layout and finish, so I’m not sure what I’m hoping to get from another’s waterline. But maybe it’ll shed some light. Regardless, she sails great and is a fantastic boat.

Do you have plans with the new boat?
Old 09-11-2023, 09:51   #8

Boat: Ingrid 38, Blue Water Boats

Greetings. I bought an Blue Water Boats Ingrid 38 last summer and joined the FB users group shortly thereafter. It has 13 members. The moderator posted some blue prints that he had. Let me know if you are interested.

Deaton's Yacht Sales still has the pictures from when my boat was for sale. If you are curious, check it out:

https://deatonyachtsnc.com/listings/...ter-ingrid-38/

Guy
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote