Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2005, 03:04   #1

Boat: Chung Wa, Magellan, 36', White Swan II
Any Info about 1980 Ta Chiao CT 41?

Any Info about 1980 Ta Chiao CT 41?
divicolouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:19   #2
Kai Nui

Good hull. Good design. Very seakindly, and sails well on a reach. Poor interior layout if you are tall. 80's boat, check for blisters.
Does that help?
Old 07-09-2005, 14:56   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
ct41

I tried to make a delivery on an early CT41. Don't have anything good to say about the boat except the interior wood work looked nice, at first glance.

The boat was a pig to sail. Took a lot of canvas to make it move, at all, in light air. Will surf backwards when trying to go to weather in 6' waves and light air. When the wind piped up above 15 knots, would move but still slowly. I've literally sailed rings around one in my Westsail 32.

Construction, other than the hull reflected the complete lack of knowledge of the sea of those that actually worked on the boat. Most have had their cabins replaced because of rot. A lot of the boats were built without any caulk. Even with caulk, they tended to be leakers.

Be sure the standing rigging has been replaced. The original asian swages, wire, chainplates and turnbuckles were crap. This has probably been done as the original tended to fail in a few years.

The hulls tended to be sound and quite thick. That's about the only good thing I can say about the design.

FWIW, my experience on the construction of these boats was with the early boats. Construction quality and control may have improved with later boats. Still have seen a lot of these boats with rot in the cabin sides.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Farr 11.6 (AKA Farr 38) Synergy
These boats are notorious.....

They are miserably slow and poor sailors across the board. In light to moderately light winds (less than 12 knots) they require a huge sail plan and with their high wetted surface, high weight and inefficient keel and sail plan they are next to useless as sailboats. In higher winds, their high drag requires carrying more sail area than is ideal for easy handling. Their low ballast ratio, low density ballast, high vertical center of gravity, and means that they lack stability relative to their sail area making tender in higher winds.

Although they tend to roll at a pretty slow rate they are miserable rollers and so I would never say that they are seakindly.

Build quality on these boats are notorious as well. I followed a fellow who was restoring one of these turkeys and there was almost nothing that was done well. By the way, while the hulls were quite thick but the glass work was very crudely done. I would be suspect of its strength relative to the huge loads involved with a boat this heavy.

Jeff
Jeff H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:00   #5

Boat: custom 65 steel
Thumbs up

from a CT 41 owner, with 25 knts of wind, a 120 jib and a reefed main she does 7 to 8 knts with a max of 8.4 by the Autohelm meter and 6.8 to 7.6 knts with a max of 8.1 by the Garmin GPS off the wind. In the wind 6.3 to 6.5 knts but does not piont very high, no round the bouys racing for the old gal. There is no missen as I took the boom off because I kept bumping my head.......... seems Pavlov's pup was smarter than this old sailor. With 10 to 12 knts of wind she was never under 5knts and with a gost of a wind I bring out the big, thick cockpit cusions, poor a tall gin and tonic with a wedge of lemon and enjoy the sun because she ain't goooin anywere.
On the construction side roverhi is right about the decks and doghouse, if they have not been redone already this drastically afects the price of the boat. A freind had a Choy-lee 38 done in an Ensenada boat yard, decks, doghouse, painted the topsides and refinished all the exterior wodd for 30k, a beautifull job. (in 2000)
What I was looking for when the boat was purchesed was a sound-solid hull, a good engine, lots of room and aluminum masts. Every other thing on the boat is being replaced, from the rudder, rigging, electrical and plumbing.
I hope this has helped you a bit, in my humble op. if you are looking at early 80's of late 70's boats, a cruiser and your a very handy guy (as you need to be with any boat of this era) take a second look at these solid Taiwanese "turkeys"

Wheels, does a poet in New Zealand write inverse?
Ctrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 16:56   #6

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Re: Any Info about 1980 Ta Chiao CT 41?

It's kind of funny to hear people's different descriptions of CT 41s vs formosa 41s. Formosa's are "sea kindly" and "can stand up in a blow." But CT 41s are pigs and will sail backwards to windward lol. I mean they are the same boat essentially. How can they be that different? It's all about branding I suppose.
Old 26-01-2018, 05:18   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

strange comparing the two in this manner as both are same exact boat.
formosa 41, sea wolf 41, and ct 41 are same exact boat.
they sail well in WIND and are pig slow in dead calm ..well, duuh. what sails well in dead calm hahahahaha.
these were designed to be trade wind cruisers and they do their job well.
i love my formosa 41. i am not so ignorant to think these are not all the same boat when they all have same keel same topsides same sailplan same everything. thankfully they are not production line boats. they have character styule flair and were designed by 6'4 inch tall designer so yes there is head room for 6'4 inch person. 8 ft in main saloon. so yes, tall folks must duck in all areas of boat, iff you are over 6'5 inches ft tall. it is easily sailed single or short handed, balances well under jib and mizzen sails, and can head out to sea when most other boats are coming back into port tails between legs in avoidance of winds.
yes, as coastal cruisers they can be pigs, but our fat bottomed girls are good solid cruisers.
btw they are not built in usa so the blister situation has not showed its ugly head. different laws on construction of boats. there have been some owners who found voids in keels, repaired them then went back out cruising.
most of the dissing of these boats has been rumor. believe rumor, is your loss, not anyone else's.

mine is 1976 build, formosa yankee clipper built by formosa boat builders, and when cruising, if anything needs adjustment, such as packing gland, it is easily accessed while sailing. no need for skinny tiny contorted monkey to fix items in drive line.
can you folks dissing these boats say same thing??
i bet not.
these are excellent cruising boats
i find my thai cedar masts are excellent. 41 yrs without rot. only issue mine have is post hurricane patricia--i had a wind genny on my mizzen masthead, which is a nono. my mast stood, but it cracked. the aluminum masted boat next to me lost mast.

ps NOTHING sails into the wind. wanna go into wind, use a 747.
gentlemen never sail to weather.

as for sea kindly--- with stainless steel tankage they are fine. no rolling. with plastic fuel tank, rolling. these babies LOVE their weight. donot lighten em up. it wont work . load the boat correctly it handles very well. load it wrong, you will enjoy a bad ride, same as any boat.
they were designed to sail trades. they do it well.
as for interior layout--is comfortable for one or two individuals to cruise.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 07:55   #8

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
strange comparing the two in this manner as both are same exact boat.
formosa 41, sea wolf 41, and ct 41 are same exact boat.
they sail well in WIND and are pig slow in dead calm ..well, duuh. what sails well in dead calm hahahahaha.
these were designed to be trade wind cruisers and they do their job well.
i love my formosa 41. i am not so ignorant to think these are not all the same boat when they all have same keel same topsides same sailplan same everything. thankfully they are not production line boats. they have character styule flair and were designed by 6'4 inch tall designer so yes there is head room for 6'4 inch person. 8 ft in main saloon. so yes, tall folks must duck in all areas of boat, iff you are over 6'5 inches ft tall. it is easily sailed single or short handed, balances well under jib and mizzen sails, and can head out to sea when most other boats are coming back into port tails between legs in avoidance of winds.
yes, as coastal cruisers they can be pigs, but our fat bottomed girls are good solid cruisers.
btw they are not built in usa so the blister situation has not showed its ugly head. different laws on construction of boats. there have been some owners who found voids in keels, repaired them then went back out cruising.
most of the dissing of these boats has been rumor. believe rumor, is your loss, not anyone else's.

mine is 1976 build, formosa yankee clipper built by formosa boat builders, and when cruising, if anything needs adjustment, such as packing gland, it is easily accessed while sailing. no need for skinny tiny contorted monkey to fix items in drive line.
can you folks dissing these boats say same thing??
i bet not.
these are excellent cruising boats
i find my thai cedar masts are excellent. 41 yrs without rot. only issue mine have is post hurricane patricia--i had a wind genny on my mizzen masthead, which is a nono. my mast stood, but it cracked. the aluminum masted boat next to me lost mast.

ps NOTHING sails into the wind. wanna go into wind, use a 747.
gentlemen never sail to weather.

as for sea kindly--- with stainless steel tankage they are fine. no rolling. with plastic fuel tank, rolling. these babies LOVE their weight. donot lighten em up. it wont work . load the boat correctly it handles very well. load it wrong, you will enjoy a bad ride, same as any boat.
they were designed to sail trades. they do it well.
as for interior layout--is comfortable for one or two individuals to cruise.
If only they'd had you as a spokesperson Zee. Maybe they'd still be in business : )

I looked at a Spindrift 43 the other day. Built in the Formosa yard I believe. That was a nice boat...beat to **** though.
Old 27-01-2018, 11:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
If only they'd had you as a spokesperson Zee. Maybe they'd still be in business : )

I looked at a Spindrift 43 the other day. Built in the Formosa yard I believe. That was a nice boat...beat to **** though.
sweet boats. they tend to rotting on port side from fresh water ingress in heavy rains. there is a spindrift here for sale. i prefer my clipper bow pinchay formosa feo. love these boats.
but, then i learned on deep keeled 36ft raceabout designed by clinton crane. wood is good.

funny how our sailing teachers ingrain the propaganda that xxx is better than yyy .... learn by SAILING all kinds of boats before settling for the one you buy for cruising.
Old 27-01-2018, 11:35   #10

12 year old thread

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 08:04   #11

might be a zombie however still appropriate as these shiplets are again gaining popularity.

Tags
ct 41, ta chiao