Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 19:37   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26s 26 Feet
Any Ham Operators?

Hey Guys,

Have had my technician license for a year and debating on adding a HAM set to my Mac 26s.

Anyone running a ham set up instead of a marine set up? Or are you running both? What HAM set up do you have?
newsailor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 22:01   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36
Re: Any Ham Operators?

I am running an ICOM M700 Pro that is open to the ham bands. It came with the boat, so I don't know if it was necessary to do the software hack to open my particular model / year.

The marine SSB rigs are channelized and without as many tweaking knobs as amateur rigs, so a little clunky: not as easy to spin the dial, at least on my rig. As I understand the regulatory situation, the only way to operate in both worlds with just one radio, emergencies excepted, is to have a marine SSB that is open to the ham bands. While some ham radios meet the spectrum requirements for marine SSB, as a group they are not permitted. This last comment will likely evoke explanation and comment from people more knowledgeable, so you may well have started a lively thread.

Much of this has been hashed out on this thread:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...dio-66630.html
wobo9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 01:11   #3

Re: Any Ham Operators?

Wobo doesn't say much, but boy when he does...!

THANK you, Wobo. The thread you linked to was really interesting. It's funny, we have several ham clubs in Toronto (and nearby) who run ham classes. About a month ago I reached out to a couple of them about doing the qualifying course, but haven't heard back. Guess everything is on hold up here due to Covid.

Will keep a lookout in the meantime - and thank you for the thread link.

Fair winds,
LittleWing77

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobo9a View Post
I am running an ICOM M700 Pro that is open to the ham bands. It came with the boat, so I don't know if it was necessary to do the software hack to open my particular model / year.

The marine SSB rigs are channelized and without as many tweaking knobs as amateur rigs, so a little clunky: not as easy to spin the dial, at least on my rig. As I understand the regulatory situation, the only way to operate in both worlds with just one radio, emergencies excepted, is to have a marine SSB that is open to the ham bands. While some ham radios meet the spectrum requirements for marine SSB, as a group they are not permitted. This last comment will likely evoke explanation and comment from people more knowledgeable, so you may well have started a lively thread.

Much of this has been hashed out on this thread:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...dio-66630.html
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote