Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2020, 07:05   #46

Boat: Garcia 45 - being built for April 2019
Re: any clever ideas for boat hook storage?

I use 30mm pipe clips. 2 of them screwed to my solar panels.. or somewhere straight.

eg. https://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/He...duit/c/1000480
peteh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 07:30   #47

Boat: 42' Steel schooner, 26' Gaff Ketch, 14' Catboat

I have a 9' wooden boat hook on my traditional 26 footer. I keep mine on the mizzen shroud. A large bronze ring big enough for the handle is siezed tightly to the shroud about 9' off the deck, then a much smaller ring sieze down low to accept the point of the boat hook. Looks very neat and seaman-like.
If you can find them large sailmaker's eyes are actually better as they sieze on easier and keep the ring perpendicular to the shroud. To keep the handle from rattling as the boat rocks, I added leather to the upper ring. If you have a modern boak, just get stainless ones instead of bronze.
Paul_Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 07:42   #48
Marine Service Provider

May I offer a bit of perhaps contrarian questions and advice based on fifty years of experience starting with wooden boats with a long wooden boat hook? I have restored a 38' fiberglass sailboat and now use a collapsible, aluminum hook stowed in the boom as one respondent also does. Not everyone has this option, but it is a good one.

Many interesting and creative ideas here, but why would you want a wooden boat hook these days? Are you sailing a wooden boat? Since 99% of rec. boats are GRP and 99% of rigging is aluminum and steel and polymers, why would you want a long, heavy, solid piece of wood for a boathook?

Can we just forget about where to store a boathook for a minute and instead ask and answer why we need a boat hook? When to use it? How to use it properly?

Along with a winch handle, an anchor, a swinging boom and a slippery ladder or companionway to the cabin, A BOAT HOOK IS AMONG THE MOST DANGEROUS ITEMS ON A BOAT--ANY BOAT.

I will write a chapter about this, but I did do a blog post called "Unhappy Hookers" after having watched them in use, gotten hurt by amateurs misusing them. watching other over-rely on them, get hurt by them and having taught boat handling and seamanship to hundreds of clients I ALWAYS GIVE THEM MY FIVE MINUTE BOAT HOOK DEMO AND LECTURE.....do not rely on a boat hook. Do not use them except when absolutely necessary and only in certain situations. Instead, learn how to drive and dock your boat like a pro. Get the boat up close Use a free fender with gloves on hands. And just be extremely careful with the boat hook--it can maim or cause a fatal injury if misused.
DO NOT RELY ON THE BOAT HOOK
KNOW HOW AND WHEN TO USE IT AND WHEN NOT
STORAGE IS A TERTIARY CONCERN EXCEPT WHERE IT MAY CAUSE A SAFETY HAZARD
OFTEN IT IS BEST NOT TO USE ONE
LEARN TO GET YOUR BOAT UP CLOSE TO A DOCK FIRST SO YOU WONT NEED IT.
Of course they are very handy if not critical to retrieving a mooring, but there are techniques for picking up moorings that in a similar manner, are underutilized and if utilized properly, may eliminate the need for a boathook as well.

Once all this is done, then you can figure out where to stow it...and stowage will become less important because you will then only be using it in rare situations. thanks
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 07:58   #49

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Since 99% of rec. boats are GRP and 99% of rigging is aluminum and steel and polymers, why would you want a long, heavy, solid piece of wood for a boathook?
I'm musing about buying a boat that has an offset prop, and doesn't maneuver worth a damn, at slow speeds or in reverse. No meaningful prop walk, and prop wash only in one direction.

Talked to a previous owner of this type of boat, and he hung a 16-foot wooden pole from a spreader, and used it to pole the boat into and out of the slip.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 08:09   #50

Boat: Manta 42 Mk II

We bought one with two holders that clamp on the stanchions. They are nylon with a tab that locks the pole in. Easy to get out and convenient. They also have ones that flush mount.

https://unitedyachting.com/product/p...nchionrailing/
WantTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 08:09   #51

To store a long wooden boat hook try attaching it to a shroud. For the hook end, tie a light looped-line to a shroud turnbuckle. For the opposite end thread a similar loop through a hole (drilled)in the handle. To store, encircle the shroud with the attached loop and back over the handle. Then slide that end of the boat hook up the shroud so the hook end captures the loop of line on the shroud turnbuckle. Sailed thousands of miles without a problem...even tacking with overlapping genoas.
dick sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 08:15   #52

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Our boat hooks are mounted on the inside of the port & starboard bulkheads. They are secured by mounts making the boat hook easily accessible. They are available at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/SeaLux-Boat-H...s%2C260&sr=8-3
Old 13-07-2020, 08:33   #53

Boat: 38' self built cutter (1990)

Heavy, stout wood 2.5 m long handle with bronze hook. Lashed to the back inner stay (2 lashes), hook strictly backwards. 20 yrs +. I broke all the aluminium hooks I had sooner or later, sooner if they were telescopic. Kind of KISS set.
Visarend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 09:19   #54

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

mine slides into a fold in the Sunbrella in the Bimini that folds around the stainless steel frame , very close to hand , yet out of the way and out of sight - may work for you .
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 09:22   #55
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I'm musing about buying a boat that has an offset prop, and doesn't maneuver worth a damn, at slow speeds or in reverse. No meaningful prop walk, and prop wash only in one direction.

Talked to a previous owner of this type of boat, and he hung a 16-foot wooden pole from a spreader, and used it to pole the boat into and out of the slip.
Okay--so your exception proves the rule--sort of...??? But I would ask--why are you "musing" about a boat that even you admit "doesn't maneuver worth a damn"??? But that would be thread drift I suppose.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 09:36   #56

We just store ours alongside the teak deck handrails, through rope loops. Seems to work.
Once, sailing in the English Channel, we ended up beating home into horrendous weather in our little boat with the boat heeled with the rail under and waves washing across the deck. When we got back to our home base Portsmouth, I went to get the boathook to pick up our mooring buoy. I discovered that after setting off we had just put it down 'for a minute' on the sidedeck and had never stowed it properly. But there it still was, just lying on the side deck!

Like all old wooden boathooks, it has had many new ends and a few new handles.
IanTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 09:40   #57

Boat: pdq mv34 'dana louise'

I store mine upright in the bow with a wind telltale tied to it.
It sits in a short pvc pipe holder for quick access .
Handy double duty as wind indicator. Good conversation gambit also.
bstronger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 10:07   #58

We have a light weight aluminum collapsible one... Never had an issue and we live on a mooring. We use two plastic 'snap clips' that hold it to the aft end of the main boom.. It's out of the way..
drewj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 11:19   #59

Boat: 2000 Outbound 44

On our previous boat I used the 2 ss rings tied to the backstay to hold my boat hook - handle slipped up through the top ring and then I lowered the pole so the hook could rest on the lower ring (with handle still well in the upper ring). I liked the backstay location for when I was single-handing. I never had it jump out despite sailing in gnarly wind and waves.
seabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2020, 11:32   #60

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
But I would ask--why are you "musing" about a boat that even you admit "doesn't maneuver worth a damn"??? But that would be thread drift I suppose.
It sails well, it just doesn't motor well in the marina.

And it draws less than two feet - wonderful for gunk-holing in skinny water.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, storage