Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2018, 12:03   #1

Boat: 1968 C&C Red Wing 30
Any C&C redwing 30 owners here

Greetings

Trying to refurbish my newly acquired 1968 Redwing 30. Anyone here own one? I would appreciate any kind of wiring diagram. My boat has a rats nest type of wiring. It has evidently had a lot of owners that added and changed things on the boat with no real system of wiring. I had rewired the mast for anchor and steaming lights but now must run wiring through the boat to the power panel. Same with lights in cabin and head. Same with depth finder and so forth. Any one that feels like giving me info on this type of boat is welcomed

Thanks in advance
sailr
sailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 05:31   #2

Boat: C&C Redwing 30
Re: Any C&C redwing 30 owners here

Just saw your post. I have a 1969 red wing hull #61. I rewired most of my boat. I used generic diagram for a two battery bank setup. Replaced and moved my battery selector switch. Used an atomic 4 wiring diagram for the engine.

Don't worry about how it was wired. Go with how it should be wired.
tigerzilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 11:11   #3

Glad to hear from you tigerzilly. I have a 1968 C&C Redwing 30 hull #39. I have started to do the rewire, Kinda sorta following the old wiring route. I've had to do a few different routes for the wires, but so far its going OK. My problem is that it seems the wiring has all positive wires and just one common ground. Oh well I'll figure out a plan and get her done.

Thanks
sailr
Old 20-09-2018, 04:51   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, sailr.

I don’t know how current this information (from “Good Old Boat" magazine) is:
C&C Redwing 30
Andrews H. Hooker
Past President Lake Yacht Racing Association
Youngstown, NY 14174
USA
Tel: 716-745-3903
Email http://redwing30.homestead.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 05:19   #5

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Any C&C redwing 30 owners here

I used to have a 1972 Hull #107 I recall. Nicely built boat. The wiring on mine was pretty much original. Very basic I recall.
Raced her a lot and cruised a lot too. Enjoyed her for sure.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 10:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr View Post
Glad to hear from you tigerzilly. I have a 1968 C&C Redwing 30 hull #39. I have started to do the rewire, Kinda sorta following the old wiring route. I've had to do a few different routes for the wires, but so far its going OK. My problem is that it seems the wiring has all positive wires and just one common ground. Oh well I'll figure out a plan and get her done.

Thanks
sailr
I replaced all my electrical wire with anchor duplex cable. I added a terminal strip by the back side of the electric panel for all the grounds. I moved the battery bank to the cockpit locker so they sit behind the electric panel. I replaced lights with leds.

I'll take pics when I'm at the boat this weekend.

Mark
Old 20-09-2018, 12:58   #7

Thanks Tigerzlily

I would love to see photos of what you have done. Might give me some ideas on tackling mine. The terminal post are sure not easy to get to. The control panel is no picnic either.

sailr
Old 25-09-2018, 08:05   #8

Quote:
Thanks Tigerzlily

I would love to see photos of what you have done. Might give me some ideas on tackling mine. The terminal post are sure not easy to get to. The control panel is no picnic either.

sailr
Here's some pics of the front and rear side of electric panels.Click image for larger version

Name:	0923181123.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	177932Click image for larger version

Name:	0923181221a.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	177933Click image for larger version

Name:	0923181222.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	177934Click image for larger version

Name:	0923181124.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	177935
Old 25-09-2018, 08:10   #9

Quote:
Thanks Tigerzlily

sailr
I moved the battery bank to the port side cockpit locker behind the electric panel. It shortened my wire runs to the batteries, but the batteries are not as accessible. Here's a pic of storage area were the batteries once were.Click image for larger version

Name:	0923181127b.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	177936
Old 25-09-2018, 08:14   #10

Quote:
Thanks Tigerzlily

sailr
Here's some pics of the led lighting. Pics kinda show the lights during day. I purchased the lights and switches from an autoparts store.Click image for larger version

Name:	0923181125.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	177937Click image for larger version

Name:	0923181125d.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	177938Click image for larger version

Name:	0923181126b.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	177939
Old 25-09-2018, 09:55   #11

Thanks tigerzlilly

Gives me some ideas. I have the old lights from the boat and cleaned and refurbished so they are in good shape.

Thanks again
sailr
Old 09-01-2019, 23:55   #12

Boat: Hinterhoeller C&C redwing 30

Hey i have 1967 hinteroller redwing hull #1 named the berolina it was the prototype hull and is diffrent then the later builds but i have modifyed the boat very seriously id dosnt bear much resemblence to the pictures i see of other redwings iv added a kickerbracket for an outboard new fuse pannels leds 150 watts of solar , im hoping to install a chainlocker , as well as some additional deck hardwear i changed the tiller out for a diffrent one and im replacing all the portholes in the spring as well as the plywood decking sarounding them , ( on a side note i heard redwings are balsa core ? Mine being the firt one made is made of plywood ? ) i live aboard and love my boat dearly
masou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
Hey i have 1967 hinteroller redwing hull #1 named the berolina it was the prototype hull and is diffrent then the later builds but i have modifyed the boat very seriously id dosnt bear much resemblence to the pictures i see of other redwings iv added a kickerbracket for an outboard new fuse pannels leds 150 watts of solar , im hoping to install a chainlocker , as well as some additional deck hardwear i changed the tiller out for a diffrent one and im replacing all the portholes in the spring as well as the plywood decking sarounding them , ( on a side note i heard redwings are balsa core ? Mine being the firt one made is made of plywood ? ) i live aboard and love my boat dearly
Wow! Hello hull #1! I'm hull #61 built in 1969.

My decks have balsa core. The raised portion of deck where the portlights are has outer and inner skins of fiberglass with no core. I would think plywood cored decks would add a significant amount of weight.

The portlights on the Red wing are not very robust...plexyglass held in an aluminum frame with a rubber gasket. I replaced the plexiglass in mine. If you find a good replacement portlight, let us know.

Can you post some pics of your boat?

Mark
Old 10-01-2019, 19:08   #14

Boat: Hinterhoeller C&C redwing 30

In the spring im hualing out for a paintjob so right now my boat is ver caotic i will post more pictures somtime when i can , im probubly going to make homemade portholes out of plexiglass and some kind of silicone bolted threw the plywood fiberglass decking i havnt worked it out yet right now i only have the starboard porthole as the decking on the port was cut out when j bought the boat , amd the fore portholes and very pitted , im also planning on adding an opening and closing porthole somewhere for some ventilation , right now im waiting for varnish to dry for a teak latice im instaling to replace the broken floorboards in front of the head , my boat was aftermarket fitten with a 20hp yanmar desil witch no longer runs im in the process of trying to remove the heads to assess the pistons for damadge for the cranckshaft wont spin in nutreul , but for the time being i have a 4 hp silver century long leg seagul on a kickerbracket , its very small for the size of the boat but does push the boat at a steady pace in calm weather , the seagul is actualy great to work on and burns about 1 liter of gas an hour , so is very economical to run as well , if u havnt heard of the british seagul look them up they are pretty cool oldschool engines designed during ww2 and used on normandy , the original owner of my redwing was a ww2 german airforce captain , he won over 50 races with her , before i bought her a french man who worked at a boatyard lived on her for 3years and did some crudy work , but left me all sorts of acessories he salvaged while at work , another thing i did was insulate the hull with a product called refletix , its mylar bublewrap its helps retain heat in the winter and helps cool in the summer... i made a hatchplate that holds my depthfinder and chartplotter that fits in the main hath so the electronics are accessible from the cockpit , altho i havnt cruised to much with her yet , as she is still a work in progress and an off grid homested of sorts , i got her out for a few weeks of cruising last summer and had a great time , but i lost one of the halyards .... shes also fitted with a rolling furler jib im sure if that was stock ?
masou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 04:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
In the spring im hualing out for a paintjob so right now my boat is ver caotic i will post more pictures somtime when i can , im probubly going to make homemade portholes out of plexiglass and some kind of silicone bolted threw the plywood fiberglass decking i havnt worked it out yet right now i only have the starboard porthole as the decking on the port was cut out when j bought the boat , amd the fore portholes and very pitted , im also planning on adding an opening and closing porthole somewhere for some ventilation , right now im waiting for varnish to dry for a teak latice im instaling to replace the broken floorboards in front of the head , my boat was aftermarket fitten with a 20hp yanmar desil witch no longer runs im in the process of trying to remove the heads to assess the pistons for damadge for the cranckshaft wont spin in nutreul , but for the time being i have a 4 hp silver century long leg seagul on a kickerbracket , its very small for the size of the boat but does push the boat at a steady pace in calm weather , the seagul is actualy great to work on and burns about 1 liter of gas an hour , so is very economical to run as well , if u havnt heard of the british seagul look them up they are pretty cool oldschool engines designed during ww2 and used on normandy , the original owner of my redwing was a ww2 german airforce captain , he won over 50 races with her , before i bought her a french man who worked at a boatyard lived on her for 3years and did some crudy work , but left me all sorts of acessories he salvaged while at work , another thing i did was insulate the hull with a product called refletix , its mylar bublewrap its helps retain heat in the winter and helps cool in the summer... i made a hatchplate that holds my depthfinder and chartplotter that fits in the main hath so the electronics are accessible from the cockpit , altho i havnt cruised to much with her yet , as she is still a work in progress and an off grid homested of sorts , i got her out for a few weeks of cruising last summer and had a great time , but i lost one of the halyards .... shes also fitted with a rolling furler jib im sure if that was stock ?
Sounds like a real project! Get that onboard running...you'll be happy when you do.