Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: any advantages of wing keels ?
few ? 7 38.89%
none besides shallow draft ? 11 61.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 04:30   #46

Re: Any advantages of Wing Keels ?

Winged keels have far more disadvantages and I really can't think of a single advantage.
  1. They typically weigh 20-25% more than a fin keel! On a 40ft this is usually another 1000-1200 lbs extra weight
  2. They only typically provide a savings of about 12" draft on a typical 40ft boat
  3. They stick much better to the bottom when you run aground and make kedging off almost impossible
  4. They have far more leeway/slippage when sailing close to the wind
  5. They also typically have much shorter and 'fatter' rudders further reducing handling nimbleness
  6. They don't sit well at anchor - they roll a LOT more than the same boat with a fin keel in the same anchorage.
[/QUOTE]

This really speaks to how you plan to use the boat! I'm a Chesapeake Bay sailor where my wing keel and 12" less depth allowed me through narrows and creeks that an extra 12" would have not allowed. Has allowed for many more secluded anchorages where 5+ feet of draft couldn't have gone. Yep, I've run aground in bay mud, but plenty of throttle and careful watch of engine temps have pulled me off pretty easily.

I've sailed a fin keel on the bay and found it to point and track better, but a decent sailor can navigate to compensate for both pointing and tracking. I've taken my wing keel off shore and the advantages to disadvantages just weren't that noticeable. If I were sailing oceans primarily, then I'd opt for a fin or full keel sans wings. So ask yourself- where are you sailing primarily? Racing or cruising? What boat gives you the best bang for the buck?

Good luck!
proudsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:35   #47

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

My twin keeler was built in the 60s so definitely not inspired by the Americas cup boat. It didn’t point well and was slow in light air, but that an issue with many older, heavy displacement boats.

The three foot draft was great for Bahamas sailing. I never let it dry out, but knowing it could allowed me to anchor in shallower water. When stored on the hard, it’s not reliant on stands to stay upright. However an issue is the angle of the keel puts more stress on the keel to hull joint. Pluses and minuses to grounding depending on the circumstances.

The leading edge of the jerks was very raked back making them less prone to snagging a line than fin keel boats I’ve owned. Also one can more easily reach the keels with a boat hook if something is snagged. The rudder is less protected by the keels than with a fin keel boat.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 16:56   #48

Boat: A55
Talking Re: Any advantages of Wing Keels ?

I have not had an opportunity to compare the saber 362 wing keel to a deep keel version but I can tell you that I have quite a bit of time sailing Sweden Yachts 38s when I was a sailmaker. One client had a 38 with a wing keel and had a PHRF rating credit of six seconds/mile relative to the deep keel version. My expectation was that that was not going to be a good deal. Time and time again that boat proved to be better for the rating by far than the deep keel version. Very good all around boat and a foot and a half shallower to boot.

Pretty sure that if you think shallow draft is important, you will be happy with a well-designed wing keel. There may be other good options including a keel with integral Centreboard like the earlier Saber 36 had available but I would not write off an otherwise good boat that meets your draft criteria because it has a wing keel. Quite the contrary if I was looking for a shoal draft boat I would think it’s very desirable.

Or you could do what I just did… Just bought a catamaran with dagger boards
Chrisatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 20:27   #49

Another advantage of a winged keel is the horizontal surfaces of the wings dampens the heave of the vessel. At least that's what I told my wife when I bought the boat. Seems to have cured her motion sickness.
Can you say placebo effect!
frogdoc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:42   #50

Boat: A55

I think there’s some truth to the dampening effect.

Can’t speak to any first-hand knowledge of differences when grounding the boat but I’m pretty sure they’re operating at 5 1/2 foot boat versus a 7 foot boat is a big step in the right direction. Or maybe in the case of the Sabre 362 it’s five verses 6 1/2, something like that.
Chrisatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 18:50   #51

Boat: ODay 272 LE

Owned wing keel Oday272le for 18 years on small inland reservoir where it's perfect for trailer launch and going shallow to walk around and clean the bottom. Best answer is - depends on your use/ situation. Would prefer deeper fin for large open water. I've won prf races with this boat. Points just fine. Sits 12ft 6 inches on trailer.
jlubinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 13:24   #52

Boat: Marples Constant camber 49

When you need to clean the bottom, you can beach it at low tide and it doesn't fall over
kurtsch57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 16:18   #53

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsch57 View Post
When you need to clean the bottom, you can beach it at low tide and it doesn't fall over
That's a 'twin' keel, not a winged keel.
garyfdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 05:30   #54

Thanks for all the helpful advice and comments. Sailing always has trade-offs - i am willing to wait for deep keel boat. In the meanwhile, I have my Pearson 10M to sail....
PHK1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel