Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2017, 08:26   #1

Boat: Custom 47 Ketch
Antarctica

Yep,

Antarctica. Crazy? Perhaps, but that's the goal and I plan on getting there in my own yacht in around 2 years.

My question for now that I'd like to get feedback for relates to Hull material.

(I'm about to buy the yacht I'd like to go to Antarctic in)

I've spent a lot of time researching Ferro to try and asses it's impact resistance to ice.

Sadly the internet is riddled with peoples opinions about Ferro in general due the large number of home made hulls built by hippies in the 60's.

Does anyone have any solid/informed information about the best hull material for Antarctica i.e. Steel/Aluminium/Ferro

I'd really appreciate some informed advice.

Brad
reynolds.brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:54   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds.brad View Post
Yep,

Antarctica. Crazy? Perhaps, but that's the goal and I plan on getting there in my own yacht in around 2 years.

My question for now that I'd like to get feedback for relates to Hull material.

(I'm about to buy the yacht I'd like to go to Antarctic in)

I've spent a lot of time researching Ferro to try and asses it's impact resistance to ice.

Sadly the internet is riddled with peoples opinions about Ferro in general due the large number of home made hulls built by hippies in the 60's.

Does anyone have any solid/informed information about the best hull material for Antarctica i.e. Steel/Aluminium/Ferro

I'd really appreciate some informed advice.

Brad
Howdy Brad. Welcome to CF!

I see this is your first post in the forum.

What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice and intended to help you.

Going to Antartica in a small yacht is a big challenge. Some members of CF have done it several times.

I took a look at your CF profile and did not see any mention of your own sailing experience. I think it helps to describe one's experience some, because it gives other members a starting point of reference for mentioning things or making suggestions. For example, when there is nothing or no sailing experience mentioned, it may lead a reader to wonder if the person asking the question has any experience at all. Matters such as choosing a boat are big issues, but the seriousness of the issue increases when the boat is intended to cruise to High Latitudes or Antarctica. So, I encourage you to tell the forum something more about yourself and your experience and how you plan to sail to Antarctica. That would allow others to offer more suggestions based on fitting you, rather than making possibly incorrect assumptions.

You can also edit your CF Profile to include such a description, as it is likely others will look at it in the future if you post more questions.
_________

I have never been to Antarctica, but I would like to if possible some day.

There are some CF Members who have been and one in particular comes to mind. His forum name is SNOW PETREL and he has written extensively about the merits of steel boats and materials and boat designs related to high latitude sailing, because he spent a lot of time in Antarctica on his own yacht and it was made of steel. He has written about other boat materials he has owned too.

Here is a search of the CF archives for threads where SNOW PETREL + steel is mentioned. I think if you read through them you will see various opinions on use of steel and aluminum for boats going to high latitudes. I highly value his opinions and experience.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...trel&gsc.sort=

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc