Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2010, 17:37   #1

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Ansa 42 - Any Opinions / Advice ?

Going to view a 1983 Ansa 42 in the next few days in Southern Spain. Seems like a pretty boat with nice lines and the ideal layout for my needs. Does anyone have any experience of these Scandinavian built vessels or any advise on what to look at specificaly when i'm there?
simonmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 08:18   #2

Hi SimonMD, I found a nice link on an Ansa 42: More information

Did you go and look at the boat? I'd be interested to see what you found out/ your thoughts on this Ansa in particular. I was also considering the ad I saw, I think for the same boat. Either way, a buddy of mine who knows a lot more than me about boats is down that way and may take a look.

Happy sailing and cheers,
John Clements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 14:49   #3

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Yes, I did indeed go and view and i'm sure it's the same one as they seem quite rare, it is berthed in Benelmadena, near Malaga. Not the boat for me so I don't mind giving you my honest opinion.

Good points- Price, a solid, stylish, center cockpit (well, more of a 'rear center cockpit), 42ft sailboat for less than £30k, not bad value and was told that even though it's been reduced already, there's still a bit of room for negotiation.
She is a very pretty boat, unusual in having a basicaly flush deck, giving her very clean lines.
This has the knock on effect of giving a very spacious feeling to the inside as headroom/storage is not restricted by the side decks cutting in.
Reasonable sized V berth up front, head next to it between it and the main saloon. A bit tight for space in there but does include a shower.
Saloon light and spacious, seating on both sides, usual folding center table arrangement.
Galley on SB side next to companionway, U shaped and a reasonable size. Unusual in having two companionway hatches next to each other. This gives great light into main saloon and makes the galley almost 'open air' when open.
Center cockpit layout so Aft cabin is a very private double with acces alonside engine/companionway or from seperate hatch from above in cockpit.

Bad points- The entire deck and cockpit is covered in teak and would look fantasic in good condition. Unfortunately, it isn't and basically needs ripping up and replacing entirely. Like I said, there is A LOT of it and so this will be expensive. I've been told 10,000 Euros is likely.
If you'd want to do any serious cruising, the radio, instruments and Nav gear are all either way out of date or seriously lacking. Again, a few bucks to bring upto date.
The layout looks great on paper but the Aft cabin would be a pain in real life. The access from inside is by way of a 2-3ft high crawl space. If you dont want to crawl then you have to be quite athletic to use the cockpit hatch and you run the risk of getting the bedding dirty/wet each time you do so. This turns the usual favoured 'owners cabin' into one more suited to kids only.

Other than that, she'll make someone a great little boat. It was the layout, especialy the Aft cabin I just mentioned that turned me off mainly. The deck/instruments, etc. are pretty much reflected in the price, you could probably buy her and have her all done for about £45k total. With a brand new golden teak deak laid, she would look fantastic and i'd love to see her brought back to her former glory.

Hope this was usefull, good luck with your search. BTW, want to buy a motoryacht instead?
Old 14-12-2010, 05:10   #4

Ansa 42

Hi Simon,

Thanks so much for your info - really useful for me and very kind of you to provide so much insight.
I emailed the broker to see if they'll let me send a surveyor down to look at the Ansa - my thinking is that I have time to restore her in the summer and I'm a fairly novice skipper so I won't be pushing her too hard just yet anyway.

I'll let you know how the survey goes and whether I take her - if I do, I'll restore her faithfully and send you some pics, (eventually).

Good luck with the flybridge and again thanks so much.
John Clements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 06:32   #5

No problem, if you're after a project, then she is ideal, keep us up dated on here with your progress.

I also forgot to mention that she has a self tacking jib system, making single handed sailing a breeze so if youre after a boat to just have fun on and not live on for any length of time, go for it.