Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2007, 16:14   #1

Another Question(sorry)

I have been looking for a cat for a while now and just not finding anything in my price range. So I am thinking of a mono wich I also like but the wife isn't excited about the lean or the rocking at anchor. I like the new boats alot but am told they are no good for real blue water cruising. I would love to hear of anythat are under 140000. I need a place for my ten surfboards and a place for friends that are visiting. I like fast boats but don't know if that really goes with passagemaking. I have checked out a peterson 44 it was ok but want to look at more brands. I love the layout of the bene's cc but I was told they arn't good bluewater boats. being between 38 and 46 and going upwind well is inportant( nicaragua to vancuver). Well I may be imagining somthing unrealistic but would love the input.
Finditsurfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 16:25   #2

Beneteau's are nice boats. The whole "blue water" stamp is very subjective. A lot of people probably wouldn't say that L&L Pardey's 28 footer is a "bluewater" boat at first glance, simply because of the size. I'm just saying that I'd take that expression with a grain of salt. Ask people to back it up with exactly what evidence they're using to make that distinction. Also, "fast" & "blue water" tend to be exclusive. Fast boats have little keels, light displacement, and a big sail plan. A "blue water" boat would tend to have a longer keel, the option to have a very reduced sail area (like a cutter), and be much heavier.

If you have the money, check out pacific sea craft or valiant. Not sure the pricing on those, bud a valiant is one of the few boats I'd consider upgrading to.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 16:25   #3

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finditsurfit View Post
I have been looking for a cat for a while now and just not finding anything in my price range. So I am thinking of a mono wich I also like but the wife isn't excited about the lean or the rocking at anchor. I like the new boats alot but am told they are no good for real blue water cruising. I would love to hear of anythat are under 140000. I need a place for my ten surfboards and a place for friends that are visiting. I like fast boats but don't know if that really goes with passagemaking. I have checked out a peterson 44 it was ok but want to look at more brands. I love the layout of the bene's cc but I was told they arn't good bluewater boats. being between 38 and 46 and going upwind well is inportant( nicaragua to vancuver). Well I may be imagining somthing unrealistic but would love the input.
The Peterson 44 is one of the best ocean going yachts built IMHO.

Not sure what you would do with 10 surfboards though.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 16:44   #4

5 for me 5 for wife different boards for different conditions I used to have 15 for my self. If you don't surf it hard to explain.
Old 12-12-2007, 17:31   #5

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
5 for me 5 for wife different boards for different conditions I used to have 15 for my self. If you don't surf it hard to explain.
You need to tow a trailer.......

If it's just you and your wife, you could probably stuff them in the V-birth of the Peterson 44. If you have company, they may just have to live on deck. Maybe some of the shorter ones could live inside the dinghy.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 17:35   #6
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
For US$140k you would get a Peterson 44 thats 30 years old that is smaller than a Bene 39, probably smaller than a bene 36, plus you want to carry 10 surfboards?

I'd like to start a poll on the number of people who've dragged a surfboard (or windsurfer) on a complete circumnavigation and never used it once.

Also I'd start a poll of the number of people who think Beneteau can't go in the ocean who have never been on one.

I don't think you'd fit 10 on anything except a cat. Unless you stuck a few up the mast

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 17:39   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Just before I sound like a total jerk in the post above.... Surely there must be some good cats for less than $140,000 USD?

A cat would give plenty of space for boards, and if you were cruising the Pacific's surfing spots would give you a great platform to launch and retireve, but also watch competitions with a bunch of friends....
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 17:47   #8

Get some occy straps and join all the surfboards together?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 17:58   #9

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Like this one? Home built boats can be a good bargain when they are made right.

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Just before I sound like a total jerk in the post above.... Surely there must be some good cats for less than $140,000 USD?

A cat would give plenty of space for boards, and if you were cruising the Pacific's surfing spots would give you a great platform to launch and retireve, but also watch competitions with a bunch of friends....
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 18:08   #10

Quote:
good surf in san diego?
gaultier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 18:44   #11

I saw your post in SA but did not comment. Given you want to haul around a large number of large/bulky but light boards and also need a dive platform a cat would work for you. I do understand the price issue though, hard to get what you want in that price range. Maybe an older mono racer that has less furniture and more open spaces would work. They usually have an open fore peak with lots of sail/gear storage locations. There are older well built racers that could fit your requirements and they will be plenty quick just make sure the rig is not runner dependent.

If you offered 75 for this they would most likely bite.

boats.com - Boat Details - Peterson Flush Deck
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 19:06   #12

san diego has its moments but my wife and I have lived from Hawaii to new zealand, all in search for good surf!
Old 12-12-2007, 19:17   #13

Quote:
san diego has its moments but my wife and I have lived from Hawaii to new zealand, all in search for good surf!
great, we just had some swell here,8/10 ft swell with 11 sec periods;i can tell you it s good to have the north swells season back here
gaultier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 19:33   #14

Very true its good to see blacks working!