Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 08:00   #1

Another newbie question...

Hello. My wife and I are new to sailing and are looking for a boat. We have taken the ASA 101 class and are registered for the 103 classes in order to get the most experience possible. We live in Los Angeles and have a 3 year old son. My goal is to find a boat that we can both learn on and then eventually upgrade to a cruiser in a few years. We will be doing mostly stuff in the bay here and heading to Catalina every once in a while, at least until we are comfortable. Obviously safety is of upmost importance because of the valued treasure aboard (wife and son). I also need something that is comfortable down below or else my wife will not last long. Our budget is in the $50k range, though we can do higher if we need to in order to get what we would be happy with for a few years. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance and have a nice day!
rlynch818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:24   #2

Boat: Santana2023
Re: Another newbie question...

Need to be a bit more specific like length range, and amenities are necessary for you and the wife. 50k can buy a lot of boat depending on those factors and how much elbow grease you want to put into it. I saw an Oday 28 that is in immaculate shape besides needing some cleaning and minor work for 9k near me if that puts it into perspective for you.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:18   #3

Thanks. I was thinking somewhere in the 32-35' range. I like electronics, but can add those if necessary as I go. We would need a head with some sort of shower. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to do much repair/rebuild, so would like something ready to take out. Again, we aren't looking to cross oceans (at least not with this boat), just something to learn and get comfortable on, and spend some weekends enjoying. Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2016, 10:00   #4

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Another newbie question...

For sailing the South Bay and to Catalina occasionally any boat in good condition will work for you. The size you mentioned is quite common and you should be able to find a used boat that size and price. Rather than brand, condition is going to be most important. While I'm in the camp of moderate displacement, over-built boats for long term cruising, a popular production built costal cruiser should meet you local and learning needs. Think about Catalinas, Benateau, Hunter, or older Morgans, Cals. Etc. one of this forum members has a nice Morgan 33 for sail in MDR that might work for you.

On edit: I see that boat has been sold.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:24   #5

Boat: PSC Orion 27

I'm currently moored in Redondo and sail to Catalina fairly often. I'd suggest the boat named after the island as a great place to start. Before that, look into 'fair winds yacht club', absolutely the cheapest and easiest way to learn to sail and try out different boats. They have open houses once a month or so, to try it out.

Best of luck,

goat

Sent from my XT1058 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:28   #6

Boat: Westsail 28

Mid 90's Catalina 32 is my vote . My friend has one and he loves it , it has way more room than he needs and also has a walk thru transom . The aft cabin is not to shabby either . Also Catalina has a big users group . See you at the Island !
CATALINA 320 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 17:23   #7

Thanks for everyone's input! I have been considering some of the Catalinas. For what we want to do, seems like a good option. I can't wait to get out there!
Old 05-10-2016, 18:35   #8

Boat: Catalina 320

Picked up my 1996 Catalina 320 a little over a year ago. I couldn't be happier with this boat. I researched production boat for over a year before buying because they cost about $10k more then the others the same year and size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote