Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2021, 23:08   #1

Another "I want to buy a boat" thread...BUT WAIT....

Hello everyone,
Long time lurker finally jumping in seeking advice. In the next year, My wife and I are considering selling our home in Middle TN and going full time live aboard for about 5 year along with our 2 year old daughter. We've begun our ASA courses and plan on joining some friends later this spring in FL for a few sails to really get comfortable with what the future may hold. The issue I'm coming across, is finding the ideal make/model to begin researching the market.

We are looking for the following:

-Cruiser that we can bounce up and down the East Coast ICW as well as hops in the Bahamas/FL Keys in relative comfort.
--With that in mind, we recognize we are looking in the 30-38ft length market....and yes I recognize that variance that exists in the range.
-Strongly prefer 2 full berths (1 being a V is fine)
-Relatively forgiving tendencies (remember, will be fairly new)
-Something safe and secure vs nimble and fast (we don't need to be the first to the anchorage)
-We would like to come in, with refit, <$45,000.

Who we are:

-Mid 30s
-Hands on (would tackle a good portion of maintenance ourselves)
-Motivated
-Not afraid to learn and also say when we don't know

Given what I have described above and you were in my shoes, what make/model boat would you recommend based on your experience?

I appreciate your help!
Misfitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:13   #2

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Re: Another "I want to buy a boat" thread...BUT WAIT....

That sail-away number of $45k is going to be your biggest obstacle. At that number, you're going to be looking at something like a mid to late 80's Catalina 34 or 36. A budget of $60k will open the doors to a lot more options for you.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:37   #3
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

There are so many boats that there is no way you can expect a real answer to the question of "pick me a boat". Just go on yachtworld.com and pick one as any boat should be able to do that. Forget the "refit", you don't need a "refit" you just need a boat in average condition.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:38   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I'm with Lowcountry on low pricing. If you're operating on a tight budget, make sure you have all your facts before jumping in. This is good advice I learned from sailing - plot your course and your backup plan before you cast off your dock lines or up-anchor.

Topics to consider, most of which can be answered with a phone call or web search, and a little time totaling the numbers:
- Maintenance - for any older boat, budget 5-10% of purchase price annually, maybe double in the first year when you're replacing all the old stuff that was patched together to sell her. You may be pleasantly surprised, but unlike a house, there are things that you cannot put off until you have the cash. If it's leaking, you can't just put a bucket under it and wait for the next paycheck.
- Sails - even buying used (there's a reason it was used, BTW), consider $2-4K each for a mid-30s boat. Look on baconsails.com for at least 'good'.
- Insurance - Florida (I mean hurricanes) insurance is more expensive than mid-US where boats are not subject to salt, 12-month use, and hurricanes (did I mention those?)
- Cruising budget - How are you going to cruise? Anchoring is free, but food is not. Harbors are expensive in FL ($600 - 1500 monthly, depending on where). Who's diving the boat to scrape off the critters growing ($90/month for a diver, in a harbor)?

Since this is your first post, I don't know what you know, so apologies in advance. You said you can do your own maintenance, which is commendable. Do you have experience with diesel mechanics, rigging, 12V electrical, fiberglass, plumbing, and the other systems you will maintain on a cruising boat? Such experience is sometimes expensive to learn, although this site, sailboatowners.com, and the many good YouTube videos do make it easier. ASA classes (101 - 104) teach you to rent a sailboat that is already maintained, insured, cleaned, etc. and sail it safely in protected waters for a week. They will never cover unclogging a head, fixing an electric short, or arranging hurricane protection with a three-day window.

Not to sound negative, but we have heard on this site and around the dock, people coming to Florida with a dream, not a big cruising kitty, no experience, and no jobs. If you have not thought this out, it can be painful to fail. Good luck with your dream.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:48   #5

Boat: Baba 35

With your criteria I really don't think you are going to find a two full berth boat. Not for that price.

Older boats are in that price range and they didnt have many two full berth boats under 40 ft. That was my experience when we searched.

We had your exact criteria and we eneded up with a Baba 35. V berth and a quarter berth with standing wet locker. Paid 30k. It needs "some" work........

15k can get you new rigging, a bottom job, and probably a lot of the materials to repair the inside. As long as you don't plan on getting fancy or need to replace an engine.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 05:55   #6
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I looked and there are plenty of $35,000 and under cruisers listed on yachtworld in north america.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:54   #7

Boat: Tartan 37
Another &quot;I want to buy a boat&quot; thread...BUT WAIT....

You may not get two full berths, but there are many 60/70s 30-35 ft boats that would fit you 45k sail away price.
ABJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:34   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another "I want to buy a boat" thread...BUT WAIT....

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/en...or-sale/655773

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/be...or-sale/644477

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/ca...or-sale/651667

https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/al...or-sale/654102

Just a random selection in your budget I'd be happy to sail away on and maintain on the go as and when..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:49   #9

Don't listen to the posts that say 45K is not enough
Walk around with 30K in CASH and you will find what you seek.
Don't be afraid to offer low, plenty of boats in the yard for years
as owners try to get what they think is the right number as the storage
bills rack up.
All upkeep tasks are learnable with the possible exception of Diesel Engine
work. Check out Marinehowto.com to get an idea what youre looking at.
When looking at boats in your price range the state of the engine
is the biggest concern. as a repower will blow up your budget for sure.
Keep it simple, its not a moon shot
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:07   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The Cape Dory 36 linked to above can take you around the world
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:27   #11

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Go boat shopping and visit a bunch of different kinds of boats that fit your criteria. This is the fun part and is necessary. All the advice and recommendations from others just adds to the confusion.

You've started your list of what you're looking for and there are some things you don't know that you want or need. Extensive boat shopping will help, but there is no substitute for experience, so be prepared to find out later about something that would have been great for you to know beforehand.

One of those things might be draft, which is dependent upon keel depth. A shallow draft allows you to anchor more places and is more forgiving when navigating the ICW. A novice boater will generally learn the hard way how to prevent grounding or getting stuck in mud when cruising shallow areas.

Most sailboats built for speed and performance have deep keels. I have one friend who has a Catalina with a 7 foot keel and he's always worried about having enough depth to enter a harbor or anchorage. Another friend also has a Catalina with a shallow draft wing keel that doesn't worry at all.

So a "shoal" draft keel or wing keel would be my recommendation as something to consider. Wing keels are cool because they provide the weight you need under the waterline with shorter draft and the flat underside helps to stay upright when grounded or using a tidal grid.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfitts View Post
Hello everyone,
Long time lurker finally jumping in seeking advice. In the next year, My wife and I are considering selling our home in Middle TN and going full time live aboard for about 5 year along with our 2 year old daughter. We've begun our ASA courses and plan on joining some friends later this spring in FL for a few sails to really get comfortable with what the future may hold. The issue I'm coming across, is finding the ideal make/model to begin researching the market.

We are looking for the following:

-Cruiser that we can bounce up and down the East Coast ICW as well as hops in the Bahamas/FL Keys in relative comfort.
--With that in mind, we recognize we are looking in the 30-38ft length market....and yes I recognize that variance that exists in the range.
-Strongly prefer 2 full berths (1 being a V is fine)
-Relatively forgiving tendencies (remember, will be fairly new)
-Something safe and secure vs nimble and fast (we don't need to be the first to the anchorage)
-We would like to come in, with refit, <$45,000.

Who we are:

-Mid 30s
-Hands on (would tackle a good portion of maintenance ourselves)
-Motivated
-Not afraid to learn and also say when we don't know

Given what I have described above and you were in my shoes, what make/model boat would you recommend based on your experience?

I appreciate your help!
Maybe slightly out of your price range but check out Beneteau 36 CC's. Good cruiser for up and down east coast. Big aft cabin. Spacious over all for 36'. Center cockpit is small but more secure for a small child. I have seen them listed for approx. 50K in NE US and looked to be in pretty good shape. But take baby steps as always is advised here. Do your ASA courses, sail on other peoples boats, maybe join a yacht club or sailing club where you can sail on a lot of different boats and meet lots of other sailors. The ideal boat for you as it would for anyone evolves. Everyone has different needs wants and desires. No one knows what those are without doing a lot of sailing. That being said sailorboy also has a point a lot of production boats will work for you if you just want to jump in the deep end. If it was me with the same parameters I would see if I could fit a Gemini Cat into my budget without being "boat poor" which would defeat the purpose. A Gemini cat has more space and is more comfortable than the same length mono. As a liveaboard comfort is the key. You will spend 90% of your time stationary. There are something like 1200 Gemini cats that have been sold. At there is an active Owners Blog where every kind of repair or issue has been addressed multiple times and you can always ask how to do anything Gemini and get help.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:42   #13

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
The Cape Dory 36 linked to above can take you around the world
I also noticed the Cape Dory.....

My advice would be lean toward 38, not 33. I have a 36 foot Pearson cutter, and it's okay for two people, but 38 would be nice. But a 36-38 foot boat can take you any of the places you mentioned.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfitts View Post
Hello everyone,
Long time lurker finally jumping in seeking advice.

>>>>>>>>>>>

If that's the case, it would appear that you may have missed the fact that almost every single one of these types of questions ends up with inevitable answer, which sailorboy1 provided:

Quote:
There are so many boats that there is no way you can expect a real answer to the question of "pick me a boat". Just go on yachtworld.com and pick one as any boat should be able to do that.

Yes, a Catalina 34 (I have one) or a C36 have two berths. So do tons of other boats.

YOU have to do the research and homework.

All else will be people telling you about their boats, which will give you a long list but that is already out there.

I wish you the best of luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:49   #15

A couple with a 2 year old would be tough on a boat that size. Especially at that price point .
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat