Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 16:01   #76

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: Another first boat question. Refreshments and hors d'oeuvres inside

Just a quick note here. We started out with the buy small get big later, even had a good idea as to what he later boat would be.
Until she was on the boat and we got knocked down buy a puff. After that she decided she would like to stay on land.
Old 20-06-2019, 10:03   #77

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25
Re: Another first boat question. Refreshments and hors d'oeuvres inside

I was raised around powerboats. When I was in 5th grade my grandfather gave me Peter Freuchens Book of the Seven Seas, and I knew a sailboat was in my future. When I was 21 I bought my 1st sailboat. Back then if you left the safety of a harbor in any boat that was not double ended you would surely die. So I bought a converted Navy whaleboat originally built in 1928 and converted to a ketch right after WWII. For being only 26 feet it had an enormous Grey Marine engine. I had never sailed ever. My brother had taken 2 group sailing lessons the years before in Marina del Rey so we went out sailing together. About an hour into our maiden voyage as the Delphi Tramp began to sail sluggishly I came to find a foot of water over the floor and a gallon can of lacquer thinner floating around leaving a slick of the most powerful sea sickness producing stank I ever encountered. We changed tack and brought the leaking thru hull above water and I plugged it and then laid in the cockpit pumping water out and vomiting until we were back in Ventura Harbor where due to the Grey Marine being half submerged we sailed into the slip. I did not learn too much about propelling a boat with the wind that day. However I did feel I had learned some valuable lessons none the less. My other brother, now my sister, had gotten a Kool 11 foot styrofoam Snark sailboat with Kool cigarette coupons, but never went sailing. He gave me the boat and the next weekend my wife and I and our infant son went to Hansen Dam and in 20 minutes I could tack to windward and broad reach without capsizing and sail downwind. My wife took twice as long to learn that stuff, but I had read a how to sail pamphlet and she took several minutes standing up to her waist in the middle of the water recovering from a capsize. Next weekend I threw a bowline from the ends of the fingers one after another behind the 5 boats between the Delphi Tramp and the turning basin and pushed her out of the slip with my wife at the tiller, then I ran to the end tie dock and pulled the boat out and leaped on raised some sail and we spent the day sailing in the Pacific. The following weekend we sailed to Santa Cruz Island and stayed for one night. It is not that hard. After a year or so I put an outboard on the side of the stern, but the Grey Marine never ran again, mostly due to my lack of any mechanical ability back then. Back then the marina did not even require insurance. I also found that I could launch the Delphi Tramp with the tossing towing method by myself and frequently single handed for an hour of so a few times a month when I was returning home after work.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men