Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 02:43   #1

Boat: 1997 Hunter 376
Another Changing Sea cock while afloat thread?

Hey All,

So This sea cock would open only about a quarter inch or so and i was told that if they haven't been exercised in a while you would have to work it back and forth to loosen it up... well the handle broke off thread and all.

i have read a few threads on the subject and have heard all types of ways to do this and the danger of doing it afloat but i havent heard anyone talk about an expansion plug as a means of doing this safely or maybe i just missed that thread.

the sea cock is to the head and appears to still be partially open. (pics attached)

Can you use an expansion plug from outside the hull? (pic attached)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea cock 1.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	400.8 KB
ID:	174060   Click image for larger version

Name:	sea cock 2.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	408.4 KB
ID:	174061  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sea cock 3.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	174062   Click image for larger version

Name:	test-tite-plugs-83593-64_400_compressed.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	174063  

Seasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 03:25   #2

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)
Re: Another Changing Sea cock while afloat thread?

If you're just going to change the valve (not the skin fitting), there's no problem doing it in the water. I've changed a few in the water with a bung blocking the hole on the outside of the hull. That expansion plug looks like it would be even better.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 05:39   #3

Boat: Krogen 42

I’ve done it from the inside with a 1.5” valve.Unscrew the old one screw on the new one. Not much water will come in.
Old 22-07-2018, 06:03   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

The worry about just changing the valve while in the water is if the skin fitting shifts while removing the valve. If that were to happen it would mean the sealant used shifted and broke the seal and “might” allow water to get in. Short haul is not possible??

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 06:38   #5

Boat: Currently in between

Agree with NYSail, if Seasic has my luck then something will go wrong!

Get your parts and your tools all lined up, ready to go and then have a short haul. Everything will go smoothly. Leave it in the water and the threads will break off inside the valve or the skin fitting will shift or...something... Just my luck.
Old 22-07-2018, 06:55   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Not to 'pile on' but that previous two posts are correct. Especially as the pictured thruhull isn't properly attached to the hull, it can easily turn while trying to back-off the valve.

The only proper way to do this is out of the water while a second person using a bung wrench holds the fitting from outside the boat.

And while you are at it, you should replace the whole thing with a proper thruhull.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 06:57   #7

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

And also the way I look at it if you’re changing the valVe change the skin fitting as well......

Good luck!

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 07:01   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

From the pics,it appears that thru hull is part way up the turn of the bilge.
Any chance you can list the vessel enough to raise the thru hull above the water?
Len
Old 22-07-2018, 08:30   #9

Boat: 2017 Beneteau 38.1

Would this work?
rickdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:35   #10

Boat: Westcoast Bayrunner 20 Fishing Skiff

Seasic,

This is easy. You can plug the hole on the outside while in the water with anything that works! I have used vegetables like potato. The expansion plug of the correct side for the inside diameter will work. A bit more difficult to install, but nothing wrong with it.

The amount of water that gets in if you just change it out will not be large if you are quick and will depend on diameter of fittings, depth below water line and time... not bad. You can place the stuff on the dock ready to use if you need to plug the hole. If you choose to plug the hole, a soft material can be shoved out of the hole with a stick or screw driver from inside after the new valve is installed. Then just shut off the valve and finish your connections and clean up.

Looks like you have a nice clean boat. Good bonding system as there is little corrosion.

I have drilled large holes as much as 5 feet below water line, with helper on the inside while I did the outside installation and had a frizbie with monkey putty on it stuck to the outside of the hull for emergency. Have to work as a team, and have all the necessary pieces shaped, tested, and ready to go with bedding compound. Not for the amateur. When whole is completed a lot of water gets in and will shoot high on the inside, so the pieces have to be ready to shove into the whole and the through hull stuffed ahead of time and bedding compound on each piece of the assembly. Partner must understand his / her part in this method. Inside man needs to protect themselves from bumping their head from shock. It works though. Every time I did it. I did it once in the dark. Live with risk. Prepare for the worst and you will be able to accomplish most anything.

What you have here is an easy fix. Plumbers stuff bread into this kind of hole. What ever works for long enough to make the change.

You can do this!
Crusty Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:42   #11

Seasic:

I said in the other thread that this problem requires immediate attention. Your pics confirm that! No competent marine mechanic, not conscientious owner, would have tolerated such an installation. This is one of those situations where "good enuff" ain't!!

A "short haul" means hauling out the boat with a Travelist of similar, and leaving the boat in the slings while you do the work required. Because no blocking is required, and therefore far, far less labour is required, the price of a short haul is far less than for the full haul required to set the boat on the hard. Around here, about C$400 for the short haul.

If you know what you are doing, the time you need to be in slings for this job is about an hour. The job is, as boat maintenance goes, a piece of cake. But you gotta have your ducks in a row! Another characteristic of this job is that the long way about is the quick way home.

From where you are at now, there is no choice! You gotta buy a new sea-cock complete with through-hull fitting. So do that, and study its construction at home so you can visualize what the job at the boat will entail.

What I would do, is take a standard 4 1/2" grinder (a hunnert bux at NAPA Autoparts, or even less for a cheapie for one-time use) to the boat in the slings. Grind off the OUTSIDE of the through-hull fitting without doing anything on the inside. Don't try to "save" anything - it ain't worth it! When you are down to flush with the hull, stick something like an extension for a socket wrench into the remains of the through-hull and smack the extension with a maul (heavy hammer). The whole issue will pop right into the boat and you will have a clean hole in the hull. Your interior backing plate looks okay, and if it is, you can now install the new through-hull using sealant in the whole. The new sea-cock should screw right onto the through-hull. Do that and make sure it is closed. Then splash and finish the rest of the work with the boat afloat.

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:52   #12

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Don't people use proper flanged sea cocks anymore?

It's no wonder many boats sink at the dock.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:12   #13

Boat: Nimble 24 Tropical

I will add only 3 suggestions:
1. make sure you don't turn the thru hull when unscrewing the seacock as this will break the seal and probably cause leaks.
2. make sure your replacement is in fact a seacock and not a hardware store brass valve. these are for use with NPT and not straight threads and you'll only have 2-3 threads making contact, where a seacock will thread well down the seacock.
3. treat the threads with plumbers putty or tape before assembly.
merlinuxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:58   #14

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Don't people use proper flanged sea cocks anymore?

It's no wonder many boats sink at the dock.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 10:36   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

looks like a good brand of valve and there seem to be a sacrifying cable and it is not the very expensive super professional Seacock which you can not change in the water, it is the good through hull mushroom and a seperate valve which you can change. Howto in the therad above. even the valve looks like a good one but the extended corrosion would make me extremely nervous. Something is wrong here. Sure you did use bronze and not brass? Brass shall be chsnged everx 3 years, some give 5 on it but bronze or marelon lasts forever.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa