Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2015, 12:49   #16

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: anchor and chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl9227 View Post
Sail Redemption yes we are interested please contact me I also sent a you a message,

Thanks again for your help
Hey just wanted to tell you I'm going to look at the anchors I have and let you know if I have anything to fit your boat. My pm won't send for some reason... /:

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2015, 14:45   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl9227 View Post
We are new to the sailing world, we have a 37ft Hunter and our anchor broke and we lost the anchor and chain. We are in the New Orleans area is there anywhere to buy used anchors and chains? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
I don't understand. First you are in New Orleans and then you are in St. Petersburg FL. Where are you?

Second, how would breaking the anchor cause you to lose the chain?

Third, why confine your search to used anchors and chain? New will last longer (unless you lose it of course).

Since you report that you are in a marina, I suggest walking up to the office and asking the dockmaster or manager where to shop for anchors. That's local knowledge.

As someone else posted, if you have a windlass, the chain you buy must match the gypsy on the windlass. Often the chain specifications will be stamped on the side of the gypsy.
Old 14-01-2015, 15:33   #18

Boat: Creekmore 36

50 miles from New Orleans is Ken's Marine in Gulfport, Ms. I guarantee they'll have what you need. New or used.
tfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 06:30   #19

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I assume you are on a tight budget, otherwise you would just hand over the plastic at West Marine.
Used anchors are just fine. Do not know of anyone that has ever worn one out. Do not think I have ever bought a new anchor of any size. Chain will lose its galvanizing, but not its strength with time.
I am in Sanibel, a couple hours drive south of St Pete. I have a 35 lb CQR (brand name) I will sell for $75 if you want to pick it up. It is not pretty, painted and rusty at the tip, but does the job.

Look on craigslist, you might search by brand (eg CQR or Bruce), otherwise you will find a zillion bass boat size anchors.
sanibel sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 07:36   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Anchor and Chain

I've got a couple of 45 pound CQR anchors in my store that I've been looking at way too long. They're new but I'll make a very good price on them. If you're interested, send me a PM or email me through my website.
Old 15-01-2015, 11:00   #21

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Guys, on shipping costs. Pretty much from anywhere in the lower 48, to elsewhere in the lower 48, runs about $1/lb via commercial carrier. Just check with them to find out the specifics on packaging the anchor in question. Although typically they just want (at most) a layer of bubble pack, underneath a layer of cardboard, taped onto the anchor.
Although the last time I did it was about 2yrs ago, which is why I say to call them & check.

FYI: Defender usually has a sale running on at least 2 different types of anchors, so check their website. The last time I looked, they had several sizes of Deltas for cheap. Plus some good deals on Fortresses too.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 11:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I don't understand. First you are in New Orleans and then you are in St. Petersburg FL. Where are you?
I was trying to figure that out, too. From the timing on the posts, it would appear that she got from New Orleans to St. Petersburg in about 40 minutes. That's pretty fast!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2015, 06:42   #23

Boat: 37 Ft Hunter

we are in New Orleans the boat is in a Marina in St Petersburg hope that clears things up
beachgirl9227 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor