Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 02:29   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Anchor- 44lb spade/rocna vs 55lb Lewmar delta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eagle View Post
https://www.youtube.com/user/flygoodwin/videos

Maybe the best, and above all realy independent, videos about ancors test!

There is not only one best, but two or three,
so the best will be the one that fits best your bow!

Steve did fantastic work on anchors. Out of the several really interesting videos, here is the comprehensive test:

The other really fantastic resource is Noelex's series of videos and photos of actual anchor setting behavior.

I think these two resources are head and shoulders above all the other anchor testing I've ever seen, because, uniquely, you can actually observe the behavior of different anchors in the seabed.

Interesting also to note the personal choices of the two testers for their own boats -- Steve chose a Spade, and I believe Noelex chose a Mantus. Steve also gave high marks to the Excel.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 05:00   #77

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eagle View Post
But an anchor must be choosen to fit the boat, and not to fit the strength of those who pull!

I don't think the anchor and the deployment/retrieval system (person, windlass, whatever) can be separated... sorta like not being able to separate the anchor from the rode.

Ideally.

-Chris
Old 22-02-2019, 07:11   #78

Boat: Catalina CM440 45'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Attachment 185856

Has anyone seen this anchor before? Seller doesn’t know brand but it looks like a mantis or original Rocna.
it is a Manson. Used one for 7 yrs. and works great.
dkbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 07:16   #79

Boat: Little Harbor 38

We went from a 35lb CQR to a 44lb Vulcan and down one chain size last year. After spending a season in the Bahamas I can say with confidence that the Vulcan was outstanding and cheaper than a Spade by far.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 07:27   #80

Boat: Schooner scow

From my experience in anchoring in everything from mud to weeds to hard pack sand to crushed coral ...ROCNA EVERYTIME OVER ALL OTHERS. It’s ability to reset is amazing And it will require that attribute in tidal Anchorage’s, shifting winds and blows.
Old 22-02-2019, 08:03   #81

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Several years ago I found that a Delta works great in cobble or coarse gravel, adequate in sand, and terrible in mud. Spend a little more and get a spade, Rocna, Vulcan, or Mantus. I've heard only positive reports on these.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 08:29   #82

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Main Street: “From my experience in anchoring in everything from mud to weeds to hard pack sand to crushed coral ...ROCNA EVERYTIME OVER ALL OTHERS. It’s ability to reset is amazing And it will require that attribute in tidal Anchorage’s, shifting winds and blows.”

Hi Mainstreet,

Watch the Panope reviews of the Rocna compared with the Spade, Mantus, or Excel... the Rocna does not perform at all well with a reset.

After a near miss with our Rocna these videos convinced me to switch.

- evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 08:32   #83

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

In the Bahamas now, Bimini.
Put my S100 50lb Spade to the test the other night with our 36’ Cape Dory. 16K displacement.
Wind came up so hard and fast that it rolled the boat 35 degrees, 40+ kt winds. 90’ of 5/16 chain and about 5’ of rode in 10’-12’ of sand.
Blew and rained for two days then just blew 15-25kts for another 3 days off and on. Waves breaking over the bow and tossing us everywhere.
We never budged.
Doesn’t set so well on the west side of Bimin on rock, but the tip of the anchor grabbed and we sat still till the winds and swell swung us 180 degrees. All three anchor alarms went off. We jumped up at 2330, in the rain of course, backed down on it and went back down for a fretful sleep. Don’t anchor on big slabs of rock covered in a little sand.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 08:43   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Hi all:

We recently lost our CQR during a storm and are looking to replace it on our Morgan OI 41 before an upcoming Key West to Exuma cruise.

It appears I can get a 44 spade for the same price as 55lb delta.

They both seem to be strong anchors but I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with the 11lb weight difference vs Stronger holding.

Cheers

Paul

It is all about what kind of bottom you are anchoring in, the scope and tidal.

CQR don't reset. It's a lake anchor
Delta doesn't like mud.
Danforth, Work well in hard or grass bottom. But doesn't reset.
Bruce most of the time an all around anchor. But doesn't like hard bottom.

Does the weigh of the anchor matter? Not that much. What matter is how you set it, and the amount of chain you put out and the weight of that chain.

What do I know about anchoring???? Not much. Just 6 years living on the hook. Ride 3 cat 4 hurricanes with 100mph + winds
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 08:43   #85

I’ve had a Rocna (55 lb) a MansonSupreme (45 and 60) and a Mantus (85 lbs) and my experence is that they all perform about the same, which is excellent.
Old 22-02-2019, 09:10   #86

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi

Sorry to disagree with the general opinion. I have been sailing Morocco, the Canaries, the Cabo Verdes and the West African coast. On a Morgan OI415! Great ship, whole family on board. We had a Delta - think it was only a 45. Been using it for at least 300 days in all kinds of conditions and all kinds of soil. It never, ever let us down. Stuck like the proverbial mud to a shovel.
I now have a Lavezzi catamaran. Weight is less, wind area is more. It came with a brand new Spade (a real one, no cheap knockoff) of (if I remembert right, boat not being here) 25 Kilos, roughly 55 pounds. It has provided more difficulties setting, and has failed me twice. Luckily I was on board. For my money and the OI in question, I would go for the Delta. The money you save on nog investing in a Spade could be invested in buying one or two sizes up if this gives you peace of mind, or to buy two deltas and use them at an angle.

Just my experience. I must say, I am new to cat anchoring, so maybe I did something wrong.
Boonzajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 09:26   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Bow windlass computer?

I don't believe I've ever seen one of those. Is that like a samophlange?

Have to laugh at the one.

And then we wonder why there are so many morons sailing around
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 09:46   #88

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m
Red face Re: Anchor- 44lb spade/rocna vs 55lb Lewmar delta

IMO the Ultra should be one’s primary anchor. But, no matter which anchor you decide on, go one size over what the manufacture recommends. You will sleep better.
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 09:49   #89

Boat: Trintella 47

No question Spade.
Anchor test:
https://youtu.be/l59f-OjWoq0
Charles S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 10:09   #90
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

The Rocna design is a good one - I bought one once around 2011. Sadly I got one of the ones which had weak shanks.

CMP has spent a lot of time cleaning up that mess and today the Rocna is in the group of top performing anchors. Is it better? That is too subjective given the shear number of variables involved.

I just say that any of the what I call "New Generation" anchors perform within 5% of each other. (don't get fixated on the number)

I will admit that I have an unfavorable bias toward Rocna because of the shank fiasco that I have not overcome.

And that lead me to a Mantus which meet my needs fully.

If anyone wants to go back to 2011 you can start with some of the YBM forum posts. I see that it is very hard to locate a Venice Lagoon photo anymore.

There are many other posts. Our own Delfin did us all a service. Here is one writeup: Rocna revealed - Page 6 - Trawler Forum

Regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, delta, lewmar, rocna