Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2019, 08:35   #46

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Re: Anchor- 44lb spade/rocna vs 55lb Lewmar delta

I think that the Sarca Excel is probably an under appreciated anchor that is often not listed as a viable option.

Its performance in Steve's Panope testing was excellent.

I didn't consider it very seriously when looking to replace my Rocna as I thought that it lacked aesthetics when looking at it on-line; but in real life it's a very skookum piece of kit. (I know, looks shouldn't enter into the equation but I couldn't help myself.) The galvanizing looks to be very well applied.

It doesn't look like a roll bar is all that indispensable and if preference or the geometry of your bow roller allows, the Excel would be a good choice too.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 12:35   #47

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

The roll bar on the Rocna can be an issue:

I can get my Rocna 44lbs drag under the following condition (I repeated the test 3 times to give it a chance to set): weedy enchorage with sticky mud and 25+ wind: the mix of weed and mud made a sticky potty.
The scoop of the Rocna eventually get full of mud and weed. It could not clear itself, mostly because of the roll bar: the sticky potty was stuck in between the scoop and roll bar. I was a mess to get everything out!
The scoop being full of potty, the Rocna could not reset itself and we dragged at a good pace!

Same anchorage with a Spade 80: that anchor is a bit undersized for my 18000lbs sailboat, and dragged more than usual during setting, but eventually set and stopped the boat.
I was time to relax.

PS: It was the only time i got the Rocna draging over 5 years of cruising...
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 13:59   #48

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I too, have had one occasion where I had difficulty getting a good set. Clearly, no anchor is infallible. That being said, I find little reason to not go with any of the new breed of SHHP anchors. That does not include either CQR or Delta.
While I have no experience with Excel (they don't seem to have much of a presence in my area), Spade, Rocna, Mantus and others are a far superior option.
Just my opinion.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 14:25   #49

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by eheffa View Post

On the downside: The Spade does not have the best galvanizing in my opinion. (The yellow paint was peeling off before it ever got wet). I have felt compelled to spray the anchor with a relatively cheap but effective galvanizing paint to keep the rust at bay. Apart from that quibble, we are very happy with the Spade.

The tip of the Spade is sharp and digs deeply. This means that a small surface area gets rubbed by the stones, sand, coral and shells of the bottom on every set. In our case hundreds of times a year. The galvanizing is going to wear here, which means you'll eventually see rust spots near the tip if the anchor is then left on the roller for awhile. Like the galvanizing, the rust will also get worn off in use. It is primarily cosmetic.
The yellow paint is just there to make the anchor more visible when setting and retrieving. Useful in clearish water.
I had our big Spade re-galvanized after 4 years of heavy use, much in coral sand and rubble. It cost less than $100.
If you've ever had a large Spade anchor apart and looked at it, I doubt you'd have concerns as to the shank construction.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 07:04   #50
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
As I research anchors, it seems to me that the Mantus, Manson, Spade and Rocna all make spade style anchors. Within this group, you have either a 'roll bar' or you don't.

When folks here say they like Rocna, are they referring to the original Rocna or the newer Vulcan? The latter looks identical to a Spade to me with the exception of price.

Is the roll bar on the Rocna, Mantus or Manson anchors even necessary or is it more what fits on your bow?
As much as we appreciate labeling all new generation anchors spade types. There is only one original Spade Anchor. I think when you say "spade type" anchor you are referring to concave design, new generation?

The Vulcan is far from identical to a Spade Anchor. The Vulcan is an ill designed copy of the Spade Oceane (research it) that was discounted from use, due to the fact we were not satisfied with its safety and performance.
Rocna selling this design (Vulcan) as it's version of a non roll bar anchor is truly one of the biggest mistakes Rocna has made (and that is accounting for using inferior Chinese metal).
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 07:22   #51

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

It pretty well accepted that "spade" type anchors are much better than other designs. There are several manufacturers and many good options for them.

My strong preference is for the Mantus. Better pricing, can be shipped easily and great customer service. Also American made which I like.

As far as a Delta, had one and there is a reason it looks like a plow. It does. Was one of the best when it came on the market but has been out designed by the newer spades.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 07:56   #52
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moontide View Post

My strong preference is for the Mantus. Better pricing, can be shipped easily and great customer service. Also American made which I like.

As far as a Delta, had one and there is a reason it looks like a plow. It does. Was one of the best when it came on the market but has been out designed by the newer spades.

Bill

FYI, Mantus is made in China using Chinese metal.

There is only one real Spade Anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	one1.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	186314   Click image for larger version

Name:	one.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	186315  

Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:46   #53

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, for goodness sake, you more than DOUBLED the weight of the anchor. Of course it worked better! Attributing this to the design difference is without merit.

I too believe that the Spade is a good anchor,but your experience does little to demonstrate that it is superior to the previous Rocna.

Jim
Jim - I thought that at first too - but I think he mis-typed the unit of measure. The Spade 120 is a 55 pound anchor.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:53   #54

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
As much as we appreciate labeling all new generation anchors spade types. There is only one original Spade Anchor. I think when you say "spade type" anchor you are referring to concave design, new generation?

The Vulcan is far from identical to a Spade Anchor. The Vulcan is an ill designed copy of the Spade Oceane (research it) that was discounted from use, due to the fact we were not satisfied with its safety and performance.
Rocna selling this design (Vulcan) as it's version of a non roll bar anchor is truly one of the biggest mistakes Rocna has made (and that is accounting for using inferior Chinese metal).
We have had our Vulcan (25kg) in the PNW/Inside Passage/Alaska now for 2-1/2 years and really like it; it has set well for the most part. Only dragging issues (twice) were when I got too complacent and failed to set it well (read just dropped and backed up lightly) thinking the wind or current wouldn't be that great.

This replaced a 45 lb CQR - and it is the only 'new generation' anchor I have experience with.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 09:57   #55

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeys Kitchen View Post
Jim - I thought that at first too - but I think he mis-typed the unit of measure. The Spade 120 is a 55 pound anchor.
Yes. Sorry for confusing the issue.

I usually think and talk in metric but had just read someones description in pounds & fumbled my description.

The two anchors were the same weight but in our experience, (an N of 1), the performance of the Spade has been significantly better than the Rocna.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 10:08   #56

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

What is the undisputed BEST new generation anchor?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 10:22   #57
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

https://www.morganscloud.com/2019/02...al-world-test/
Old 20-02-2019, 11:08   #58

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
One persons opinion and they want me to pay for it?
So much opinion available here for free
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 11:09   #59

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
What is the undisputed BEST new generation anchor?
The one that works for you and your vessel.
They are all good and a vast improvement of older type anchors IMHO.
If you really want it to work supremely (see what i did there ) and sleep well at night go up a size or two and use your storm anchor as a daily anchor.
Free advice and no vested interests.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 11:17   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Simi, I understand but it's Morgans Cloud's rules. Over on the CF 'Sarca Excels' thread in anchoring and mooring I've explained in detail. If you are serious about investigating any equipment $22 yr is a bargain.
Excellent library on that site from some very experienced folk, comments are great too.
Chris

Tags
anchor, delta, lewmar, rocna