Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2018, 17:30   #1

Boat: Moody 425
Amel Santorin Sloop?

Hi all,

I am currently considering an Amel Santorin Sloop and was wondering if anyone had any experience with these boats, particularly the sloop rigged version?

While I have been on a couple of Amels and am familiar with the general 'Amel concept' I have not yet been on a Santorin and must admit I did not realise sloop rigged was an option initially.

To give you some context, We are a small family of 4 looking for a bluewater capable cruising boat in the Med as a base for some globe trotting cruising.

We had prior to this been looking at Moodys as well in the 40-47 foot range of varying ranges and would welcome any comparisons between the Moodys and Amels from those with experience.
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 19:24   #2

Re: Amel Santorin Sloop?

You'll have a hard time finding comments on a sloop-rigged Santorin. They were pretty rare birds.

Amels are well built boats. Although any boat of this age owes at least as much to its previous owners as to its builder.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2018, 05:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
You'll have a hard time finding comments on a sloop-rigged Santorin. They were pretty rare birds.

Amels are well built boats. Although any boat of this age owes at least as much to its previous owners as to its builder.
Thankyou. Would you have any general thoughts on the sloops, knowing Amels as you do?

I agree with you, I'm very much looking into whether there has been significant refit work done etc as well.
Old 26-09-2018, 19:33   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hey Chall,

A mate has a Santorin sloop. To be honest, I am not a fan of the set up as many modifications were required to make them work. For instance, the main mast is located in the same position as for the ketch. The look is somewhat strange as the mast is same height as the ketch but the boom is far longer. Not very balanced in my opinion. Weird shape main sail...

However, my mate likes his a lot and will join me in Tonga within about 2 weeks.

If I was looking for a Santorin, I'd far prefer the ketch version.

GL in your search.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 00:37   #5

Thankyou.

You have hit upon some of my theoretical design concerns, but as I have never owned an Amel nor have any experience on the sloop versions I wasn’t sure what to make of them.

I think my preference would also be for the ketch, however circumstances are such that I have happened across a sloop rigged version that is attractively priced (perhaps in part because it is the sloop) and understanding that all boats are compromises I am just trying to weigh up the pros and cons.

Will be inspecting it on Monday and I’ll let you know what I think!
Old 04-10-2018, 16:28   #6

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

My mate's Santorin sloop is faster than the ketch versions and nearly as fast as an SM if you compare my ATL crossing times with his...

For cruising, I'd select a ketch. OPINION of course.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:43   #7

Thankyou.

I inspected the Amel Santorin yesterday and the 'look' of the sloop rig did not bother me at all. It is as you say though that the mast is in the same place as on the ketch and it has a certain aesthetic.

This particularly boat was looking rather tired. ( Granted to be expected in a 30 year old boat) and while I love the Amel philosophy I agree my preference would lean towards the ketch but the ketches on the market at the moment are all sitting outside my budget.

Tags
sloop