Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2017, 13:55   #16

Re: AMEL 53? or Not

I considered a few makes including the Amel.

I ended up with an Island Packet 485. Much the same size (dont be deceived by the 485 reference). The Amel might perform slighly better (but not by much) but I think the whole concept of the IP is better suited to short handed cruising on a larger yacht. Comments abound about up wind performance, but within the IP range at this size she goes very well upwind and even better downwind (who wants to be going up wind anyway). The rig is easily handled, but, more to the point, if you are living aboard, the accomodation is perfect. Room for a full sized washing machine, Genset, rear lazarette which is truly amazing, and saloon that is very comfortable.

There are those that will criticise the encapsulated full length keel but hey I am very happy worrying little about anything falling off if blue water is your wish.

The build on the 485 is second to none.

The Amel is a good boat.
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 15:35   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Amels are specifically designed for blue water cruising. Of course there are a lot of boats out there that are designed for the same thing. Are you an experienced sailor? That's a really big boat to handle & maintain.
The great thing about the Amel is it's almost all PLASTIC!. No teak decks and little wood. French built, what is there not to like?
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 17:58   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

I know some Amels and I would buy one. I am sometimes considering a Sharki my future boat.

53 is likely not their best boat but it is very popular and so easy to find one at a good price. I found them too big for two. Not too difficult at all but just too much of a property.

54 seemed much nicer. I have sailed (powered) one. A super easy boat. The newer one (55 I think) looks best. I have seen it from the dock and in a boatyard only. Never sailed one but they are truly evolved.

Our friends used to own the pre-53 model (about 45 or thereabout). She was absolutely glorious to sail. Not very fast but oh so secure and comfortable.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 17:58   #19

Boat: a sailing boat

BTW Many older ones came with crap Perkins motors. Replace.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 18:18   #20

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Newrigs, you have seen quite a few replies here, and all being true I think.
Yes, the discussion of ketch versus sloop rig has been going for an odd 20-30 years.
You asked for alternatives to Amel. I think the Hylas was already mentioned, and along the same lines consider the Stephens 47.
Have a look at the Tayana 48 and 55.
As for the 'best' cruising boat. That one does not exist.
Maybe this one comes close http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-147499.html and that comes also in a 53 ft version. Or any size you like really.
Old 24-08-2017, 18:21   #21

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Another issue is proprietary parts. Who wants to be waiting around for Amel or any other manufacturer to ship parts to you in remote locations. We've found it adventagious to own a boat where the parts can be obtained from any local chandlery off-the-shelf.
This is a common myth about Amel's. There are actually only a few items where they built their own and Amel was actually quite good at using off the shelf parts when they built their own stuff, so virtually nothing NEEDS to be ordered from Amel. Additionally engineering drawings are readily available for pretty much every component so if you needed to, it would be pretty easy to have parts made up if necessary. A very active and knowledgeable owners group also is available for support if needed.

This was a concern I had prior to purchasing our Amel. After owning it for a while, it wasn't ever a concern to me again. That said I did order a few parts from Amel and was amazed at how efficiently they could get me parts into far flung corners and how reasonably priced they were when I did.
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 05:13   #22

I spent 3 months on a Amel Super Maramu. In my humble opinion, it is a great boat and can be sailed single-handed by a competent individual. All sails can be controlled without leaving the cockpit and the engine room gives the owner/operator easy access to the engine, aux power unit, bilge pumps, etc. Great boat, stable, and I feel, easy to sail. If I could afford one, I would buy one in a heartbeat. Good Luck in your venture and if you feel the need to require a crew member...!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 05:26   #23

Amel, the Citroen of the seas ...

The proprietary drive unit in the later models scared me off them, the earlier ones are fine.

I think 40' is the sweet spot in the US, it's the upper limit for a lot of parks moorings, and marinas seem to be able to squeeze in transients 40' and under.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 08:29   #24

Delos, on YouTube, gives us a pretty good look at sailing and maintaining an Amel.
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 09:05   #25

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf hart View Post
Amel, the Citroen of the seas ...

The proprietary drive unit in the later models scared me off them, the earlier ones are fine.

I think 40' is the sweet spot in the US, it's the upper limit for a lot of parks moorings, and marinas seem to be able to squeeze in transients 40' and under.
On what do you base your comments. Some of us would like to know!

Fair winds.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 11:43   #26

Boat: Taswell 43

While the Hylass was suggested as an alternative, let me suggest one other....a Taswell 49. Having been to both yards, spent alot of time talking to the respective engineers and builders, and having owned/sailed a Taswell 43 for the last 17 years, the only boat better made than a Hylass....is a Taswell (IMHO). We've seen alot of Amels sailing around Asia and thru the Medd, and there are good, well made boats. But there are others, too. The only way to decide for yourself...is to go aboard each of the finalists, walk around them, look at the details, take each of them sailing, and then make up your mind which is best....for you!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 14:40   #27

Thanks for all those options guys. But I do not see any of those having multiple water tight compartments. Am I missing something?

I also really like the Garcia - however still pretty expensive.

I can't think of another boat that you can get a really good used one in the $300k-$350K range with all it's features. Like I said, the Oyster is pretty cool and in that price range, but cramped engine access and no watertight compartments.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Spending time looking at them.

Cheers,
WestCoastRix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 14:52   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRix View Post
Thanks for all those options guys. But I do not see any of those having multiple water tight compartments. Am I missing something?

I also really like the Garcia - however still pretty expensive.

I can't think of another boat that you can get a really good used one in the $300k-$350K range with all it's features. Like I said, the Oyster is pretty cool and in that price range, but cramped engine access and no watertight compartments.

Thanks for all the recommendations. Spending time looking at them.

Cheers,
Some Oysters do have water tight compartments and the panels surrounding the engines are easily removed with a few latches to provide 360 degree engine access. There are many other worthwhile features standard on Oysters not found on an Amel if you look closely. Like the large front facing, opening windows to name one.

I'm not implying that the Amels aren't a good boat or good choice for bluewater cruising, just trying to open up the OPs mind to other choices like the Hallberg Rassy and Tayana to name a couple.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 15:00   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Some Oysters do have water tight compartments and the panels surrounding the engines are easily removed with a few latches to provide 360 degree engine access. There are many other worthwhile features standard on Oysters not found on an Amel if you look closely. Like the large front facing, opening windows to name one.

I'm not implying that the Amels aren't a good boat or good choice for bluewater cruising, just trying to open up the OPs mind to other choices like the Hallberg Rassy and Tayana to name a couple.
Thanks Kenomac. I'm enjoying researching about the other boats. I hadn't read where the Oyster's have watertight compartments. I'm missing it but will look into it. They are definitely nicer boats from an aesthetic point of view and livability (like the airiness and openness). Thanks.
WestCoastRix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 15:08   #30
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRix View Post
Thanks Kenomac. I'm enjoying researching about the other boats. I hadn't read where the Oyster's have watertight compartments. I'm missing it but will look into it. They are definitely nicer boats from an aesthetic point of view and livability (like the airiness and openness). Thanks.
They're part of the customization process. Some have them, and others like our boat don't. I wouldn't put much emphasis on them, we do have three bilge pumps, a large dinghy and a life raft. The boat's built like a tank.

If we were planning on polar expeditions, then I'd want the water tight compartments. Here in the Med, they're not necessary.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote