Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-11-2019, 18:40   #286
G2D

Boat: Beneteau 423 Oceanis
Re: Amel 50 - Build Thread

Thanks a lot like you I have dual US / EU passport but
I am US citizen & resident and not resident of the EU

I am happy to know that Amel can help registering in the US

I plan to sail for 3-4 months consecutively then put the boat on the hard until next season
Depending on how that 18 months rule works out I will haul out in either EU or not EU juridiction
May I ask you what is the advantage of buying the boat in an LLC if you don’t intend to charter it ?
G2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 21:38   #287

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2D View Post
May I ask you what is the advantage of buying the boat in an LLC if you don’t intend to charter it ?
You do not need a LLC to purchase a boat. It is a personal preference. A LLC attorney can explain to you if it is beneficial in your situation.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 21:10   #288

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

I was wondering, now that you have sailed her for a season, did you have a lot of issues/warranty work? And how did Amel deal with it?
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 22:32   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
I was wondering, now that you have sailed her for a season, did you have a lot of issues/warranty work? And how did Amel deal with it?
There are always issues with a boat... Most warranty items on our boat were corrected during the handover week at the Amel dock. Most other issues that popped up after that, were corrected at the larger ports that we visited.

We have owned several brands of boats, and I have to say that I have not dealt with a more responsive company than Amel. Not only they respond to email, and of course phone calls, but they also act quickly to correct any issues. In addition, there is no finger pointing about who is responsible (Amel, or the problem part manufacturer). This has been a very refreshing change for me. This may be one of the reasons why the "Amel cult" exists.

So far, we are very happy with the boat and the company. I would still buy the same boat today.
Old 30-11-2019, 12:22   #290

Boat: Currently boatless

[QUOTE
I need to enable the Volvo engine to show fuel consumption. This might be useful to fine tune cruising rpm. My fuel gauges show under my actual fuel, which is good. I hardly use the generator for its consumption to matter.

In this following video the owner proudly shows off a device at the wheel station that calculates fuel consumption and other engin performance data

Hofmeyr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 18:07   #291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofmeyr12 View Post
[QUOTE
I need to enable the Volvo engine to show fuel consumption. This might be useful to fine tune cruising rpm. My fuel gauges show under my actual fuel, which is good. I hardly use the generator for its consumption to matter.

In this following video the owner proudly shows off a device at the wheel station that calculates fuel consumption and other engin performance data

It is a Volvo software option called "Trip Computer". The dealer has to activate it. I plan to do this next season.
Old 23-03-2020, 15:26   #292

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

hey boom - what's the spacing between the davits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
You're welcome!

I did not select the Amel dinghy option as they had spec'ed 15hp engine. I had ordered the same dinghy (Highfield 3.10 with a 20hp Honda, electric start, chaps, nav lights, and extra handles at bow) from the same dealer, but he did not have it ready for handover. So, I did not get to test the passerelle with the dinghy. Moral of the story, order early from the dealer and keep bugging him...

Based on what I saw, I believe it would be best to lower the dinghy below the passerelle. This way the path is clear. Unless, you can angle the passerelle away from under the dinghy.

I like the raised solar panels. The workmanship is very nice. The stern nav light is raised above them and seems functional, without too much of a shadow on the solar panel. I really wanted three 200W Victron solar panels over the davits but Amel did not want to do it. Now that I checked, adding a 3rd panel would stick out 40cm in front of your face while on the passerelle (see pic below). I do not want to have to duck every time I use the passerelle. A better solution would probably be to install two 300w panels, which occupy less width (but extend further aft) than three 200w panels. This requires SS modification of the solar panel brackets. I am not ready to tackle this yet... I like the cockpit top solar panels (200w). They are removable and not that noticeable. They are held with standard cushion hardware. And, you can still use the cockpit cover slider.

The picture below is from eye level while on the passerelle mounting hole.

Mag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 15:40   #293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3 View Post
hey boom - what's the spacing between the davits?
I'm not sure. I wish I could be at my boat to measure for you. My season plans are on hold at the moment.

It's enough for a 3.10 or 3.40 Highfield dinghy. But, there are easy ways to deal with davit spacing issues.
Old 05-04-2020, 13:03   #294

Hello, Boom.
Fantastic all the information with deep details of your choices and points of view, during the construction of your Amel 50. Thank you for so many information, that it seems made some guys to purchase the same model.

We are living a nightmare at this moment but we must believe that soon we can resume our regular lives, and better, our boats. Maybe the boat will be the safest place to be....as almost all of us are already in the risk group. My last 4 boats were cats ( 1 Lagoon, 1 Leopard 46 and 2 Lagoons , last one a 42) and I thought that I was ok with boats but this unimaginable World made me think again if it is not better to just let it go....sailing, Ana Amel 50 is the boat that I think fits what I want, now. I am taking a look in the market to see if there are any second hand to sell, at this moment.
NunoPinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 13:46   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoPinho View Post
Hello, Boom.
Fantastic all the information with deep details of your choices and points of view, during the construction of your Amel 50. Thank you for so many information, that it seems made some guys to purchase the same model.

We are living a nightmare at this moment but we must believe that soon we can resume our regular lives, and better, our boats. Maybe the boat will be the safest place to be....as almost all of us are already in the risk group. My last 4 boats were cats ( 1 Lagoon, 1 Leopard 46 and 2 Lagoons , last one a 42) and I thought that I was ok with boats but this unimaginable World made me think again if it is not better to just let it go....sailing, Ana Amel 50 is the boat that I think fits what I want, now. I am taking a look in the market to see if there are any second hand to sell, at this moment.
Thank you. I'm glad my process helped some people.

Right now, we're all living in a very difficult situation. I hope it's over soon, and we all have our health to enjoy our lives...

Regarding used Amel 50's, check Yachtworld.com. Occasionally, some come for sale, but the asking price is almost the same as new without the wait.

Good luck and good health.
Old 07-04-2020, 15:56   #296

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NunoPinho View Post
Hello, Boom.
Fantastic all the information with deep........

Amel 50 is the boat that I think fits what I want, now. I am taking a look in the market to see if there are any second hand to sell, at this moment.
Hello NunoPinho, you might want to look at all AMEL boats of the size you wish: this might include Super Maramus, A54, A55 and even A64’s. They are all well built Blue Water yachts.

We began our RTW in Turkey and have reached NZ now. (Under lockdown and living aboard)The worst technical problem was a leaky rudder post and this was fixed by heaving to for 30 minutes and tightening the nut. We are an elderly couple on our Super Maramu. GL in your search.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 16:14   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hello NunoPinho, you might want to look at all AMEL boats of the size you wish: this might include Super Maramus, A54, A55 and even A64’s. They are all well built Blue Water yachts.

We began our RTW in Turkey and have reached NZ now. (Under lockdown and living aboard)The worst technical problem was a leaky rudder post and this was fixed by heaving to for 30 minutes and tightening the nut. We are an elderly couple on our Super Maramu. GL in your search.
I agree. I don't think you can go wrong with any Amel model.

One of the reasons I looked at Amel boats, was the Amel owners' pride and trust they had on their boats. I did not meet one who said he would rather own something else. There's a reason for that.
Old 07-04-2020, 21:19   #298

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I agree. I don't think you can go wrong with any Amel model.

One of the reasons I looked at Amel boats, was the Amel owners' pride and trust they had on their boats. I did not meet one who said he would rather own something else. There's a reason for that.
I'd love to own your boat. Or perhaps the A54.... not enough green! Story of my life! :-)
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 21:25   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
I'd love to own your boat. Or perhaps the A54.... not enough green! Story of my life! :-)
I should have said that the Amel owners I met loved their boat and brand... Now, I know why.
Old 13-04-2020, 13:10   #300

boom23, love your boat. Do you have any YouTube videos of your boat sailing. Thank you,Chris
chrisandgail is offline   Reply With Quote