Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 16-12-2018, 09:50   #106

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI
Re: Amel 50 - Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
One of my beliefs is to keep things simple and stupid (as much as possible). The less hassle something is, the more it gets used...

I have been struggling with the dinghy size. Amel recommends the 310. The dinghy dealer recommends the 340. The 340 is very close in specs, offers better ride and more functionality but might cause problems with the extra weight and size. Both accept the 20hp outboard. I have not committed on the dinghy yet. I will have to rethink it.

Kenomac, I will talk to Amel for the side boarding ladder again. They make one for the 55 and, early on, I asked them for it but said that they do not offer it for the 50. They use a single FenderStep.

Thank you all for your input. There are so many details to be decided that some fall through the cracks.
Since you’re planning to sail the Med for the foreseeable future Med mooring will be fact of life. There are almost no marinas with fingers. So if you can avoid having to lower your dinghy every time you want to moor somewhere it will save you a lot of stress. IMO this more than weighs up to having a slightly smaller dinghy. My experience is that, on average, distances done by dinghy are significantly lower than in the pacific area.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 10:14   #107

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
One thing I did not saw photos about was hull Keel structure. do you have any?
No. I do not.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 10:20   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
Since you’re planning to sail the Med for the foreseeable future Med mooring will be fact of life. There are almost no marinas with fingers. So if you can avoid having to lower your dinghy every time you want to moor somewhere it will save you a lot of stress. IMO this more than weighs up to having a slightly smaller dinghy. My experience is that, on average, distances done by dinghy are significantly lower than in the pacific area.
Got it. I understand exactly what you say. I want less headaches.

The 310 and 340 have the same load capacity (1 kg difference). I can live with 1 ft less interior length if it will make Med mooring less of a hassle. I sent an email to Amel.
Old 17-12-2018, 09:04   #109

Great boat, great thread(better than the Delos vid, even), and I bet you wish you'd been in those photos with you hands in the resin helping out. Mahzealtov.
houseofcharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 09:35   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcharm View Post
Great boat, great thread(better than the Delos vid, even), and I bet you wish you'd been in those photos with you hands in the resin helping out. Mahzealtov.
You know me... I wish I were living in La Rochelle. I would be at the factory everyday if they would let me. Seeing how a boat is built is very interesting to me. That is one of the reasons I visited several factories before I made my choice.

I am glad you find this thread interesting. I will keep posting pics as I get them.
Old 17-12-2018, 10:07   #111

We've been to France dozens of times filling containers with antiques for a few decades so know the appeal. I think we all like to vicariously follow your progress-almost more interesting than the actual cruising threads...!
Old 17-12-2018, 10:39   #112

'I will be getting the Highfield CL-340 aluminum hull dinghy and 20hp Honda with electric start (for my wife), wheels with solid tires, nav lights and chaps.'

Non-sequiter but does anyone ever buy Nouvorania anymore? They make then in our little berg in FL and I almost thought they were closed but apparently are still rolling them out.
Old 17-12-2018, 12:06   #113

I sent an email to Amel regarding the dinghy and passarelle. In the meanwhile, I've been going over the pictures to do some analysis.

Dinghy all the way up on the davits, outboard removed:

From the pictures below, I can see that the davit and dinghy are too low to walk under (under waist level), unless one crawls. The passarelle can be installed in the middle or the outside of the davit. With the dinghy on the davit, one of the outside locations is better, depending on which side the dinghy extends further. Without the outboard installed, the bow extends further (CL310 - 2.8 ft, CL340 - 3.5 ft). Without the outboard, the stern extends about 1.6 feet on both models. That is probably about 1 ft past the davit edge and according to the picture, about 6 inches over the passarelle area. Unfortunately, I did not take a picture from straight back.

So, without the outboard installed, there is a possibility that one can use the passarelle, on the stern side of the dinghy, with the dinghy all the way up. This is assuming that the passarelle is long enough to to extend about 2.5 ft (half the dinghy beam) past the davits & dinghy. There is an outboard stand in the lazarette. But, I do not plan to remove the outboard every time, except for multi-day crossings. So, this option is less likely to happen.

Here are the dinghy dimensions:
Highfield CL-310 Dimensions
Highfield CL-340 Dimensions

Both dinghies have the same beam. According to the dinghy specs (which are not to be trusted), the CL-340 is about 1 foot longer at the bow. Few weeks ago, I went to a Highfield dealer and the distance from the stern to the CL-340 bow locker was about 6 inches longer than the CL-310. The factory specs show the CL-310 being longer... I will have to pay another visit to the Highfield dealer to measure again and see how each dinghy feels.

Dinghy lowered past the boat deck:

The dinghy hangs from where the stainless circles (pulley axle bolt covers) are at the side of the davit, near the end. It seems that if I lower the dinghy just below the boat deck level, I should be able to pull it close to the boat hull so that it does not extend (much) past the davits. I cannot find the passarelle length, but I have to assume it extends past than the davits...

So, one should be able to lower the dinghy, even with the outboard installed, to the boat deck level, pull it close to the boat stern, and have the passarelle over the dinghy bow. Most likely, this is what I will be doing.

Old 17-12-2018, 12:14   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcharm View Post
Non-sequiter but does anyone ever buy Nouvorania anymore? They make then in our little berg in FL and I almost thought they were closed but apparently are still rolling them out.
Aluminum hull inflatables are lighter and tougher. Highfield is what Amel specs. I've had hypalon Highfield and AB (different sizes) and I did not notice much difference.
Old 17-12-2018, 12:15   #115

And I'm curious-do buyer's typically survey new boats in the EU as they do in US pre-delivery?
Old 17-12-2018, 14:05   #116

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Agree with the dinghy height setup. That’s exactly what I do. The only times the dinghy is lifted all the way up under the davits is at dock or mooring/anchoring. At all other times I lower the dinghy to the aft deck level and add two extra mounts on her bow and stern to the boat’s (A 44’ CC) transom with two small padded fenders in between - works perfectly and also looks much nicer.

An extra value here is the ability to use the dinghy as an extended summer bath (and with some creativity, use the dinghy bilge pump to get a whirlpool... ).

Your Amel looks fantastic - a real dreamboat - at my bucket list for a semi retirement one day... - together with an Oyster and HR...

Congratulations!
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 14:10   #117

Boat: CT-38 Princess - Fast Cruiser ( Alen Warrick )

How is the traveler controlled from the cockpit?
sailingtaiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2018, 14:29   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
Agree with the dinghy height setup. That’s exactly what I do. The only times the dinghy is lifted all the way up under the davits is at dock or mooring/anchoring. At all other times I lower the dinghy to the aft deck level and add two extra mounts on her bow and stern to the boat’s (A 44’ CC) transom with two small padded fenders in between - works perfectly and also looks much nicer.

An extra value here is the ability to use the dinghy as an extended summer bath (and with some creativity, use the dinghy bilge pump to get a whirlpool... ).

Your Amel looks fantastic - a real dreamboat - at my bucket list for a semi retirement one day... - together with an Oyster and HR...

Congratulations!
Thank you!
I like your idea of the dinghy bath. Kind of like the Discovery 55 cockpit bath but in the dinghy. That's out of the box thinking!
Old 17-12-2018, 14:51   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingtaiyo View Post
How is the traveler controlled from the cockpit?
That is a good question... From the pictures, it does not look like it is controlled from the cockpit. I can see stops on the traveler track and what looks like a cam cleat on each end.
When I test sailed I was so overwhelmed with so many questions that I did not notice.
Old 17-12-2018, 15:11   #120

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

I would guess it is a simple arrangement as in my (cruiser) Moody 44CC, as the traveler is installed right behind the cockpit, so a sort line out of each traveler end’s block is leading right through a cleat. I can manage it while driving without even turning to the aft, in one hand.

In my case I also have a bow traveler, (highly recommended for any short handed cruiser) in front of the mast for the inner stay self tacking jib and also from there I have added blocks and lines to the cockpit to enable a sharper upwind angle. Works fantastic!
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote