Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018, 23:15   #61

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Amel 50 - Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill99 View Post
I love Amel's.
How do I get to look at the pictures and read the story without having to scroll the page across backward and forwards ?
Thanks
I believe you are referring to the expanded pictures?
If yes, you do not need to expand every picture unless you want to look at the details.

Or maybe you have a low resolution display?
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:37   #62

boom23 Why have you finally choosen A50 over 55? I understand that 3 separate cabins are advantage. But was it only question of 3rd cabin?
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 15:30   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman View Post
boom23 Why have you finally choosen A50 over 55? I understand that 3 separate cabins are advantage. But was it only question of 3rd cabin?
Boom23 explained why he went with a 50 and not a 55, other than the 3 separate cabins in his initial posts,
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 15:42   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman View Post
Here are the reasons we chose the Amel 50 over the 55:

Master stateroom aft with 3 staterooms total.
Larger salon
Larger galley
Larger cockpit
One mast
Larger portholes/windows
Brighter interior.

Believe me, even with the above reasons it was a difficult decision. The 55 is a cruising platform. Both boats have pros and cons. It depends on what's important to you.
Old 12-12-2018, 16:16   #65

Long time lurker, and fellow computer engineer here. Am thorougly jealous. If/when I sell my company I'll probably buy a cruising boat, and the Amel 50 is at the top of my shortlist. I had the opportunity to visit the Amel yard in La Rochelle last year and sail the first Amel 50, and was impressed with the boat from stem to stern.

May I ask when it was that you placed the order for your boat, and approximately what date you expect to take delivery?
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 18:38   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by acunningham View Post
Long time lurker, and fellow computer engineer here. Am thorougly jealous. If/when I sell my company I'll probably buy a cruising boat, and the Amel 50 is at the top of my shortlist. I had the opportunity to visit the Amel yard in La Rochelle last year and sail the first Amel 50, and was impressed with the boat from stem to stern.

May I ask when it was that you placed the order for your boat, and approximately what date you expect to take delivery?
It is good to hear that you sailed the Amel 50 and liked it. I, sometimes, doubt myself with my decision as it is a substantial purchase.

We placed the order early this year but requested delivery in late May 2019 due to other family commitments. Amel is known to deliver on time.

As a personal sidenote, my wife and I had a health scare, which forced us to re-evaluate our priorities. Our life moto now is "Enjoy life now, as you never know what happens tomorrow." Cruising has been one of the most incredible things we've ever done.
Old 12-12-2018, 22:24   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
It is good to hear that you sailed the Amel 50 and liked it. I, sometimes, doubt myself with my decision as it is a substantial purchase.

We placed the order early this year but requested delivery in late May 2019 due to other family commitments. Amel is known to deliver on time.
Thank you, that's good to know! It's always hard to know just how reliable vendors are without reports from real customers.

Quote:
As a personal sidenote, my wife and I had a health scare, which forced us to re-evaluate our priorities. Our life moto now is "Enjoy life now, as you never know what happens tomorrow." Cruising has been one of the most incredible things we've ever done.
Wise words!
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 02:12   #68

Boat: Southerly

Quote:
I plan to use the lazarette for workshop. I might even make a little counter in the engine room but I do not think my wife will like the cockpit floor to be open most of the time. I always work on something... I have to spend more time on the boat before I figure this out. Maybe a folding work bench/table and a small vice? Or, the cockpit table (with some protection)?
Great thread, and great boat! On our last Southerly we had a worktop and mounting for a vice built into our third cabin. We had a false top to the bunk which when raised revealed the worksurface and vice. It was all very neat, but in 5.5 years I only really needed it once, so I plan to use a small Black and Decker Workmate this time round.
Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 03:37   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Chen View Post
Great thread, and great boat! On our last Southerly we had a worktop and mounting for a vice built into our third cabin. We had a false top to the bunk which when raised revealed the worksurface and vice. It was all very neat, but in 5.5 years I only really needed it once, so I plan to use a small Black and Decker Workmate this time round.
Good idea, Thanks!

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 07:06   #70

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
I believe you are referring to the expanded pictures?
If yes, you do not need to expand every picture unless you want to look at the details.

Or maybe you have a low resolution display?
For me it takes a while to load all the pictures and while loading they are all expanded.

If I wait for a while until they've all loaded, the pictures and page shrinks back to normal and it's easier to read
Old 14-12-2018, 15:04   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
For me it takes a while to load all the pictures and while loading they are all expanded.

If I wait for a while until they've all loaded, the pictures and page shrinks back to normal and it's easier to read [emoji2]
Yes... I have seen this also.

Sorry guys! I loaded too many pictures. I'll spread them out more in the future.
Old 15-12-2018, 10:45   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I just want to let you all know that I emailed Amel for info and they were very good at getting back to me. I haven't had a chance to look through it all yet. Matt, I will let you know what they have said about the laminate and core thickness when I have had a chance to check it out.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 10:53   #73

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I just want to let you all know that I emailed Amel for info and they were very good at getting back to me. I haven't had a chance to look through it all yet. Matt, I will let you know what they have said about the laminate and core thickness when I have had a chance to check it out.

Great! I look forward to hearing what they have to say about the build.

Matt
Old 15-12-2018, 11:21   #74

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
When we first visited the Amel factory we did not know what to expect. When Henri Amel passed away in 2005, he donated his factory to the workers. I do not know if it was our imagination, but all the workers we saw, they seemed to care about their product. We got a very good feeling about the company and the shipyard.

The naval architect of the new Amel's is Olivier Racoupeau of Berret Racoupeau Yachts Design. We found him to be a great person and very down to earth considering how successful and busy his firm is.

Are you planning solar panels? And if so, how? I would love to see Amel and other true blue water boat builders start integrating solar panels in their designs like the French Alu boat builders are doing.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 14:13   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
Are you planning solar panels? And if so, how? I would love to see Amel and other true blue water boat builders start integrating solar panels in their designs like the French Alu boat builders are doing.
The Amel 50 will probably consume more than my ex-Lagoon 450 as it has more systems. In addition, the A50 has MasterVolt GEL batteries (600ah @ 24V), while on the L450 I had installed Lithium (900ah @ 12V). On the L450 I had about 900w solar, with Victron controller, and on sunny days, I did not have to start the generator.

I still have to do energy calculations on the A50. I want to reduce generator running time. I will know more after I use the boat. In addition, I opted for the factory options as they will be under warranty and I do not have to deal with 3rd party installers in France. I wanted to make it easy on me since Amel does good work.

Amel installs 2 x 200W @ 24V solar panels on the Davits with MasterVolt solar controller. I forgot the solar panel brand but they are name brand. The installation seems robust and is lightweight. In order for one to use the steps to the swim platform, the solar panels are mounted past the davits. The dinghy, when on the davits, extends past the solar panels. Also, there are retractable stainless tubes at the end of the davits to stabilize the dinghy.

I am not getting the TracVision shown. These pictures are from another A50. Also, I am installing the stern navigation light, over the davits so that it is visible with the dinghy on the davits.

I wanted Amel to install additional solar panels on the cockpit hardtop and I suggested 4 x 50W Solbian panels. They eventually proposed to install the SunWare TX-42252 removable solar panels. They are 200W @ 24V. I am not sure about the controller.

SunWare TX-42252 Datasheet

SunWare TX-42252 Install Manual

I have not seen this installation on another Amel. The cockpit hardtop is not ideal solar panel location as the boom will cast a shadow. I just wanted as much solar as possible without making the boat too ugly.

So, I will have total of 600W @ 24V solar panels. In the future, I can always replace the davit solar panels with larger ones.