Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 15:47   #346

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Amel 50 - Build Thread

Wow, looks great. What are the two little panels in the pic I've outlined?
I'm also considering the induction oven. The Lithium batteries are required which really brings the commitment level up! Could you post more pics of the hand holds on the ceiling, Port and Starboard. Are they your custom request or are they now
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interiorpicsred.jpeg
Views:	357
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	226361  
Habana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 16:31   #347

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

The outlined images are 110 power outlets.. the boat has a dual us/eu power system...

see attached images for the ceiling hand rails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling_hand_hold.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	226370  
Old 02-11-2020, 21:02   #348

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Out of curiosity, there's some 'green' checkerboard stuff in this photo - is that coring not covered in glass?

Those voids seem pretty deep, never looked at amels optional packages, do they offer insulation? Those areas filled with insulation would be incredibly effective!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3 View Post
The outlined images are 110 power outlets.. the boat has a dual us/eu power system...

see attached images for the ceiling hand rails.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 00:54   #349

Quote:
Fregata continues to come closer to birth. Here are some more in-progress build shots.

Looking good! Am planning to follow boom23 and yourself imminently in ordering an Amel 50, and will be discussing the customisations you've recommended with Amel.
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:46   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Out of curiosity, there's some 'green' checkerboard stuff in this photo - is that coring not covered in glass?
it's foam coring, and it's definitely glassed over, but as the fiberglass, when fully wetted out becomes transparent, you can see the foam.

Quote:
Those voids seem pretty deep, never looked at amels optional packages, do they offer insulation? Those areas filled with insulation would be incredibly effective!

They don't offer insulation that i know of. They are very careful/intentional about what they decide to offer given that they support it forever.. all that to say that they may not be open to the idea of doing insulation.... but i agree that there in in many areas the space to put some in post purchase should you want to. :-)
Old 05-11-2020, 21:37   #351

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I know amel is a great company And build quality yachts! Very excited for you to get the boat!

Do they share the lamination schedule with you? I love learning how pros do it. It helps guide me on how I do things on my boat! My rewiring job has been close to 80hours so far and yet to be finished but it look 'professional' and is methodically designed.
Quote:
it's foam coring, and it's definitely glassed over, but as the fiberglass, when fully wetted out becomes transparent, you can see the foam.

They don't offer insulation that i know of. They are very careful/intentional about what they decide to offer given that they support it forever.. all that to say that they may not be open to the idea of doing insulation.... but i agree that there in in many areas the space to put some in post purchase should you want to. :-)
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 23:54   #352

Quote:
I know amel is a great company And build quality yachts! Very excited for you to get the boat!

Do they share the lamination schedule with you? I love learning how pros do it. It helps guide me on how I do things on my boat! My rewiring job has been close to 80hours so far and yet to be finished but it look 'professional' and is methodically designed.
Improperly designed insulation without vapor barrier is asking for trouble. I cringe at a lot of the vanlife people just stuffing cheap wool insulation anywhere they can, a van in the desert is probably ok but it would be trouble on a boat. The coring is probably already R2 anyway.
Yihang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 16:13   #353

I have no idea what the layup schedule is! I'm sure if you reached out they'd tell you.
Old 06-12-2020, 13:49   #354

Boat: Amel Meltem 53' (in the Med)

@boom23 I truly enjoyed your thread. Even when things got sideways you put everybody back on the subject, with tact. You are a Grand Master!

I like to restore old things (I am an engineer by background) and my current project is an Amel Meltem that I want to bring back to original. But I like the new designs, the functionality, the dedication of that Amel yard that comes accross ALL THE TIME in your post.

I found very interesting that Amel took some of the original designs of the Meltem back into the 50 and the 60: straight shaft, bigger and safer cockpit dodger, etc.

I could feel the excitement building as you were launching, then docking, then exploring. This is on a par with any "hot novel" winning a "NYT book of the year".
So much work putting the whole thing together.

Congrats and thank you!
Gibbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 15:19   #355

Thank you!

I really enjoyed documenting the building process of my boat. She's a special boat, and I feel very privileged to own her. I have sailed for two seasons in the Med so far, and I am still very happy with her. About a couple of months ago, someone offered to buy her, and I could not even imagine selling. The buyer, who read this thread, ended up ordering his own.

Last season, I sailed on my own. Yes, life sometimes has different ideas... Even though I was intimidated and very tentative about single-handing in the beginning, I survived and I really enjoyed it. I even managed to escape a Medicane (Mediterranean Hurricane), several charter boat captains, and numerous squalls & lightning storms. By the end of the season, the Amel 50 felt like an extension of me. I am hoping that things will be better next season, covid and relationship wise. But, that is life. I can only control what I do, most of the time.

Enjoy the Meltem! She's a special boat with a lot of character. Remember that Amel, the factory, is there to help you.

Stay safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbay View Post
@boom23 I truly enjoyed your thread. Even when things got sideways you put everybody back on the subject, with tact. You are a Grand Master!

I like to restore old things (I am an engineer by background) and my current project is an Amel Meltem that I want to bring back to original. But I like the new designs, the functionality, the dedication of that Amel yard that comes accross ALL THE TIME in your post.

I found very interesting that Amel took some of the original designs of the Meltem back into the 50 and the 60: straight shaft, bigger and safer cockpit dodger, etc.

I could feel the excitement building as you were launching, then docking, then exploring. This is on a par with any "hot novel" winning a "NYT book of the year".
So much work putting the whole thing together.

Congrats and thank you!
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 16:16   #356

@boom23 You did not realize that having a facts only post with tons of pictures was going to be so useful - and powerful - to a lot of people in a lot of different ways.

Some folks who might have been on the edge bought the same boats.
You inspired confidence in your choices and your thoughtful comments were also heard by the Amel factory people.

I am a French engineer who came to the US 35 years ago...I sailed on my first Amel in 1981.
Of course being young at the time I looked down on that heavy boat in favor of sexy racing machines.

Life is bizarre, and I am back to cruising, my family has zero interest nor experience, and the Amel is the perfect choice IF you find yourself singlehandling your boat (even with friends/guests on board).

I'll use your experience in a different way. Some of the hardware, systems and solutions on that Meltem are old. As I am looking to instill a new life to this beauty, I have already heard a lot of conflicting opinions from yard workers. Most of them have very shallow technical knowledge.

I will look for what solutions Amel will pick now for its new 50 and 60 and will use that to rebuild the Meltem.

You will be happy to learn that a 45 year old Amel can age very well and yours will as well: beautiful mahogany, solid structure, no cracks in lockers, beams supporting the engine. Everything is solid and safe.

Enjoy the cruise and be careful!
Old 12-01-2021, 09:32   #357

Just a quick note here to share a video walk through of my new Amel 50 "Fregata". @boom23 - your post and thoughtful replies / guidance to questions helped me shape this and achieve my personal vision. My experience with the team at Amel was fantastic... especially during a crazy covid year. Great communication, weekly updates on the build progress, and a willingness to do to the little asks/modifications that helped make her mine. Nothing but praise for them.

I thought some of you might enjoy the walkthrough (it's in four parts)...

Part 1:
Part 2:
Part 3:
Part 4:

thank you again Boom!

Cheers,
-Justin
Old 12-01-2021, 09:40   #358

Quote:
Just a quick note here to share a video walk through of my new Amel 50 "Fregata".

Very nice! I see you have a padeye on the deck just behind the inner stay. Is that for the forward end of the jackstays? It's presumably a special request to Amel?
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:42   #359

Justin, the video was taken in La Rochelle, right? If you are in Sausalito you are my neighbor!
Old 12-01-2021, 09:46   #360

@Acunningham - i believe so, though not a special request. I've literally not been on my new boat yet as...well... #covid.

she'll be shipped to the US in march... until then i watch this daily to get my fix.