Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-05-2019, 13:32   #271

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: Amel 50 - Build Thread

As per above ^^^

I use a single Nylon line (7 metera or so) attached to an Ultra chain "clip" link.

Cleated to the main central cleat on the fore deck. I could also add a snubber if I wanted.

:-)
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 21:02   #272

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
As per above ^^^

I use a single Nylon line (7 metera or so) attached to an Ultra chain "clip" link.

Cleated to the main central cleat on the fore deck. I could also add a snubber if I wanted.

:-)
One of the first things I'll prepare before starting cruising next month. It might take me a couple of tries before I figure out what works for me.

I prefer to anchor over going to a marina.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 00:16   #273
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
You make a good point...
I've had to let out more chain on my ex catamaran (with a V bridle) in a very strong blows and it was fun pulling up chain to reach the bridle attachment point... I did not question it because I had a catamaran.

Now, with a monohull I have more options... I will have to rethink the setup. The good thing about using a rubber snubber is that I don't need a long line for shock absorption. So, less than 3 meters of chain/rode to pull in.

A single attachment on the bow should be fine also. I like symmetry, I guess.

Thanks for the comments. There's always room for improvement.
We’ve been using this snubber set up for seven years, it works great. Two independent snubber lines leading over the bow roller to a single stainless chain hook, each with a giant rubber dock snubber inline. Each line is simply placed over a deck mooring cleat with a loop.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9D164F8F-7FF7-4E60-94BA-1DAF11CBEB9E.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	192243  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2019, 04:41   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
We’ve been using this snubber set up for seven years, it works great. Two independent snubber lines leading over the bow roller to a single stainless chain hook, each with a giant rubber dock snubber inline. Each line is simply placed over a deck mooring cleat with a loop.

Thank you Kenomac. Yet another option.

Why did you choose two independent snubber lines instead of a single one?
Are they the same length?
What rubber dock snubber do you have?

I have the Falcon Safety LLM4 Line Master No. 4 (7/8 -1 inch line)

Click image for larger version

Name:	419fY9jJD6L._AC_SY400_.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	192254
Old 19-05-2019, 01:01   #275
cruiser

The rubber dock snubbers look the same as yours, the biggest size available. I used two separate lines leading to the chain hook for added strength and durability, each is identical in length. I have loops spliced on the ends so I can drop them over the deck cleats.

Be sure to use chafe protection over the bow rollers.

Our boat is 25 tons with an Ultra 45kg anchor and swivel, so the snubber gear needs to be substantial in order to handle the loads, otherwise I’d be replacing it every couple of weeks. Ours is now five years old, with one of the rubber snubbers needing replacement.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 08:46   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The rubber dock snubbers look the same as yours, the biggest size available. I used two separate lines leading to the chain hook for added strength and durability, each is identical in length. I have loops spliced on the ends so I can drop them over the deck cleats.

Be sure to use chafe protection over the bow rollers.

Our boat is 25 tons with an Ultra 45kg anchor and swivel, so the snubber gear needs to be substantial in order to handle the loads, otherwise I’d be replacing it every couple of weeks. Ours is now five years old, with one of the rubber snubbers needing replacement.
The Amel 50 is about 23 tons with probably more windage than your 53. Based on your experience, I may need a two snubber setup also.
I have the 45kg Ultra too.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-08-2019, 13:29   #277

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
One of the aspects that attracted me to Amel is their customer service. They keep parts inventory and a database with complete info of all the boats they ever built. So, an Amel owner can ask the factory for a boat part and they will know what was installed when the boat was built. This is a great service especially for an aging boat. And, you do not have to be the original owner.

This is another reason to have the factory install upgrades for you. In addition to having warranty on everything through one company.

I received the following email from Amel and it relates to their customer service.

"Dear AMEL boat owners,

We have been regularly informed of the activity of Mr. Bill ROUSE and his « AMEL SCHOOL », which seems to be satisfying a number of AMEL boat owners.

However it is important for us to remove any ambiguity about this activity: We, “CHANTIERS AMEL”, do not have any sort of relationship, neither contractual nor commercial, with Mr. Rouse's activity regarding the advices given or the products sold or offered by “AMEL SCHOOL”.

We would like to remind you that none of the products supplied by CHANTIER AMEL are marked with “AMEL”, and that we are currently concerned to have Mr. ROUSE stop using the AMEL brand name.

As you know the safety of our products and our customers is a top priority for us: thus we want to issue a warning on the products and advices given by Mr. ROUSE and “AMEL SCHOOL” which have not been prior to any verification by our technical services nor by our customer service.

We remind you that only AMEL services are empowered for advising you with respect of the AMEL know-how.

This will be the subject of a contact from us towards Mr. ROUSE.

We remain at your disposal should you have any question (see contact at the bottom of this letter), and we wish all of you a lot of beautiful travels and cruises aboard your AMEL.

Best regards,

Emmanuel POUJEADE,
General manager

CONTACTEZ-NOUS : relationclient@amel.fr - Tel. +33 (0) 546 55 17 31"

Would you like to know the full story? I am Bill ROUSE and I will be happy to tell you the full story.
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:20   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
Would you like to know the full story? I am Bill ROUSE and I will be happy to tell you the full story.
Bill,

The intention of my post was to show that Amel, as a company, wanted to protect their trade name and that they believed they offer the best service to Amel owners. That was my interpretation of the Amel letter, with no inside information of any kind.

In addition, the intention of this thread is to share the build process of an Amel 50.

My post was not meant to devalue the services you offer in any way. I, and many Amel owners, appreciate your dedication and work. Your contribution to the Amel community is known and valued.

If you feel you need to say your side of the story, I can't stop you but, in my opinion, there's nothing to defend. It will only start more debates from others who know less than you about this situation.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:15   #279

I do not know the story and would like to know but I Think this thread is not about it. So Bill if you start the new one I will join and read carefully..
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 14:16   #280

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Having followed this thread, as well as a couple custom build threads, it always strikes me as to how difficult even seemingly minor modifications to a standard design can become. Case in point - the davits and associated items.

Having some miles under the keel:

What were the best changes, and did they turn out as expected?
What would you rethink, in hindsight?
Was any of your input incorporated into future production?
As an additional cost over the standard spec boat, what was the percentage increase of your modifications? For example, 10% additional above base boat for selected factory options, with XX% for owner requested changes.
How have the twin headsails worked? Are you typically sailing with the self-tacking staysail? Have you tacked with the larger genoa, and associated furling/unfurling of the sail? In summer light air days does the inner staysail balance the boat? It seems rather small at first glance.

It appears to be an outstanding boat, and pretty to boot! Congratulations and many wishes of fair winds and following seas.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 08:34   #281

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Having followed this thread, as well as a couple custom build threads, it always strikes me as to how difficult even seemingly minor modifications to a standard design can become. Case in point - the davits and associated items.

Having some miles under the keel:

What were the best changes, and did they turn out as expected?
What would you rethink, in hindsight?
Was any of your input incorporated into future production?
As an additional cost over the standard spec boat, what was the percentage increase of your modifications? For example, 10% additional above base boat for selected factory options, with XX% for owner requested changes.
How have the twin headsails worked? Are you typically sailing with the self-tacking staysail? Have you tacked with the larger genoa, and associated furling/unfurling of the sail? In summer light air days does the inner staysail balance the boat? It seems rather small at first glance.

It appears to be an outstanding boat, and pretty to boot! Congratulations and many wishes of fair winds and following seas.

Thank you! We’re at the end of our first season and we’re really enjoying our boat.

Your questions are very good and require a lot of thought. Everyone adjusts his boat based on how he’s used to do things. I’ve adjusted things so that I can singlehand. Amel boats are very good on that aspect.

I have done MANY modifications before delivery and I’m happy with them. Unfortunately, because the boat was new and there were not many users yet, I did not have the chance to learn from others. I visited the factory 3 times and took tons of pictures/videos to help me figure things out. Some of my changes were used by the factory, and buyers who approached me, for future builds. Amel learns from each boat, even though their boats are very well thought out to begin with. My options & changes added about 20% to the boat base price. It’s a well worth increase.

Here are some additional changes that come to mind:

I want to add a 3rd 200w solar panel over the davits. I will have a total of 800w solar. I’ll still look for more wattage without changing the looks of the boat much.
I’ll be modifying the bow pulpit to have a separate way for the anchor snubber. On windy days, a “Y” type anchor snubber makes a lot of noise with the anchor chain as the boat goes from side to side. A riding sail could probably solve this problem, but my solution is simple and should be less work and easier on the long term.
I need to add some blocks to bring the mainsail traveler lines to the cockpit.
I need to better the dinghy straps for longer crossings. The current setup is awkward to use.
I want to add a wired windlass remote by the windlass. I already have a wired remote at the helm and a wireless but I don’t want to rely on batteries while at the bow.
I need to replace the dinghy wheels with fatter ones as they dig in the sand. I’ll have someone modify the current brackets.
I need hatch covers for wintering.
I need a better way to store things. I’m kind of bad with this and there’s a lot of storage space...
I need a way to store and secure dive tanks in the lazarette.
I need to setup my stern anchor so that it’s easy to access and use. I haven’t used it yet because I’m dreading it.
I still haven’t found my perfect coffee maker (American coffee, no glass, high quality, compact, beans preferred). I love my French press but I would rather save the Butane for cooking.
I need to enable the Volvo engine to show fuel consumption. This might be useful to fine tune cruising rpm. My fuel gauges show under my actual fuel, which is good. I hardly use the generator for its consumption to matter.
I’ve added a NMEA WiFi transmitter so that my tablet software can see navigation data.

Regarding the sails, they are super easy to use. I have not had a problem yet. I love the gennaker. It allows me to sail close to the wind speed. I’m considering a code 0 but I want one on a furler with UV protection so that I can leave it installed. The staysail is more of a storm jib but it’s useful in reducing heeling while reaching at 20kts+. I’ve used it together with the Genoa for an extra .5kts speed increase in lighter winds. I’ve also used it centered to stabilize the boat when motoring into the wind during the last few miles to protection.

I’ve only tacked/jibed few times (I’m a cruiser) and it’s not a problem partially furling the Genoa. Here in the western Med, usually the wind is light so light wind sails are needed the most. With stronger winds, the stock sails are fine. I’ll know more when I have to deal with the Meltemi wind.

Otherwise, our boat has been amazing! She’s very solid, comfortable and safe. She’s easy to handle during Med mooring, thanks to the amazing bow thruster. No major issues yet...
Old 29-09-2019, 10:09   #282

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:

I’ve only tacked/jibed few times (I’m a cruiser) and it’s not a problem partially furling the Genoa. Here in the western Med, usually the wind is light so light wind sails are needed the most. With stronger winds, the stock sails are fine. I’ll know more when I have to deal with the Meltemi wind.

Otherwise, our boat has been amazing! She’s very solid, comfortable and safe. She’s easy to handle during Med mooring, thanks to the amazing bow thruster. No major issues yet...
You've might have written about it, but how did you get the boat from la Rochelle to the med?

I think you'll have a blast in the Aegean, If you're lucky you'll have weeks on end with 20-25 knts of wind. From the North, so best to head north in spring towards Thessaloniki or Istanbul when there are southerlies and then in the summer scream downwind through the Cyclades, Dodecanese and/or Turkish coast.
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 15:10   #283

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
You've might have written about it, but how did you get the boat from la Rochelle to the med?

I think you'll have a blast in the Aegean, If you're lucky you'll have weeks on end with 20-25 knts of wind. From the North, so best to head north in spring towards Thessaloniki or Istanbul when there are southerlies and then in the summer scream downwind through the Cyclades, Dodecanese and/or Turkish coast.
Thanks for the advice! The Aegean will require much more careful planning.

Here is the approx way I sailed from La Rochelle, France to Greece. I tried to see as much as possible along the way. I also tried to do overnights or day hops. It worked out well. Overnights on the Atlantic Portugal and Spain were an exercise of avoiding fishing boats. I have never seen so many fishing boats together, every time I went out. I have no idea how there are fish left...

One thing I forgot to mention is that a couple of the improvements (traveller lines to cockpit and anchor snubber) were in collaboration with another future Amel 50 buyer (thank you Matt!) who contacted me because of this thread. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190920-101113_Boating%20HD.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	200695
Old 24-11-2019, 13:51   #284
G2D

Boat: Beneteau 423 Oceanis

Hi Justin
I am in a similar situation
I am 2 yrs from retirement , I live in NYC and I have a Bénéteau 423 in Shelter Island NY
I have dual French US passports but spent most of my life in NYC
I am thinking of buying a 50 foot monohull in France (Amel 50 , Alures 51.9 , Southerly 480 ) register it in the USA but sailing a few years in Europe ( Brexit england winter haul out to escape VAT)
Would love to exchange info regarding Amel 50 and issues regarding Europe purchase of US registered boat
I don’t want to highjack this highly interesting thread which definitely increased my interest in the Amel 50’
so wondering if we can get in touch
sincerely
Guillaume , Shelter Isl , NY USA
PS i also visited Amel ‘ factory 2 years ago
G2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 14:27   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2D View Post
I have dual French US passports but spent most of my life in NYC
I am thinking of buying a 50 foot monohull in France (Amel 50 , Alures 51.9 , Southerly 480 ) register it in the USA but sailing a few years in Europe (Brexit england winter haul out to escape VAT)
Would love to exchange info regarding Amel 50 and issues regarding Europe purchase of US registered boat
Hi there,

I had zero problems buying a French boat and registering it in USA. I bought the boat under a LLC. My USA attorney prepared all the required LLC and purchase documents and Amel cooperated with him.

I have not paid boat EU VAT as I am not EU resident, and I do not plan to leave the boat in EU. For this reason, the boat cannot stay in EU for more than 18 months at the time. The 18 month clock resets once you take the boat at a non-EU port, even for a day. Make sure you document this event and keep receipts so that you can prove it, if needed. I plan to reset the clock in Turkey, but any non-EU country will do. You can also extend the 18 month period (to 24 months max, I believe) by having the boat on the hard or asking for extension. I do not plan or need to do this, and I am not clear on the details.

I am USA & EU citizen, and USA resident. The residency is important for VAT. I stay in EU less than 6 months/year, so that I maintain my USA residency. Also, I pay taxes in USA.

Since I have an EU passport, I can technically stay in Europe (this includes European territories, like French Polynesia) for as long as I want. This was very handy when I was in the S. Pacific.

If you are an EU resident, or the boat stays in EU for more than 18 months (without extension permission, etc.) at the time, VAT becomes due and payable.

This is the summary of it. I strongly recommend that you contact an attorney specializing in these matters to help you with the new or used boat purchase. He/she will be able to explain this process better than me.