Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2019, 14:53   #196

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Amel 50 - Build Thread

10 days away from handover! Lot's of excitement combined with apprehension and last minute details that seem to pop up... So far, no emergencies though. All the boat building preparation and planning is coming to an end and a new (cruising) era of preparation and planning is about to begin!

I am a little apprehensive about cruising the Med. I know the Med is beautiful but I am not looking forward to marinas and Med mooring. I prefer anchoring so much more. Hopefully, I will have options.

Our boat was transferred from the factory to La Rochelle, for mast stepping, and then to the Amel docks. I know she will sit lower in the water after all our stuff are on board.

boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 15:21   #197

This has been such an informative thread... thank you so much!! You are living my future now!! Just wondering if you considered a new ‘alternator on steroids’ like ‘integral’? https://www.integrelmarine.com And wondering why no Lithium batteries? Btw, every one of your choices was very wise.
Richo107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 23:18   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo107 View Post
This has been such an informative thread... thank you so much!! You are living my future now!! Just wondering if you considered a new ‘alternator on steroids’ like ‘integral’? https://www.integrelmarine.com And wondering why no Lithium batteries? Btw, every one of your choices was very wise.
Glad you like the info here.

There are several reasons why I did not install Integrel, or Lithium. The first, and most important reason, was that these options were not available. Amel is a very traditional company and uses parts that has been tested and proven. Integrel is a newer technology. One of the ways Amel controls the quality of their boats is by controlling what parts go in them. They don't install whatever the owner wants. They also have to support the boats they build for many years. Hence, they use what they know works. As a buyer, I can appreciate that.

I installed Lithium, before they were too popular, on my ex Lagoon 450 and I liked them. But, I am a geek. Lithium batteries are expensive (initially), require knowledge/attention, and can be sensitive. They are good, but not a must have.

On my current boat, the factory Lithium battery option became available after the option selection deadline. Even if it was available earlier, I would probably have not selected it due to the high cost. Amel uses top brand name products and they do not come cheap. The way I figured, the stock MasterVolt Gel batteries will last 10+ years. By that time, the Lithium batteries will be better and cheaper. I will be able to install them for probably less than half the factory option price. In addition, most of the installed charging equipment is already capable of handling Lithium.

Another thing I learned from my last boat is to use the boat before I start changing things. Amel knows what they are doing (grammar?). After I use their product, I will know what I need to change to make it suit my needs better. Not that I will be suffering in any way possible...
Old 13-04-2019, 00:29   #199

Thanks Boom. As always... a lot of wisdom in your reply. Wishing you the best of luck with your launch. I’ll be sure to follow you on You Tube when you start posting.
Richo107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 01:05   #200

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
10 days away from handover! Lot's of excitement combined with apprehension and last minute details that seem to pop up... So far, no emergencies though. All the boat building preparation and planning is coming to an end and a new (cruising) era of preparation and planning is about to begin!

I am a little apprehensive about cruising the Med. I know the Med is beautiful but I am not looking forward to marinas and Med mooring. I prefer anchoring so much more. Hopefully, I will have options.
Lots and lots of anchorages in the med, so don’t worry about that.

Med mooring is pretty easy. My advice when you’re not singlehanded is to drop the anchor manually and adjust the break so the boat pulls the chain out of the locker. That way , when there is a stiff beam wind, you can speed up without having to worry about the speed of decent of the windlass.
If there’s a bow mooring line with a lazy line , stay well away of the dock, set the aft mooring lines, pick up the nasty, slimy lazy line, pull the bow mooring line in, cleat it off and back further in towards the dock and tighten the aft mooring lines. The bow mooring lines are usually very stretchy.

When anchors get crossed, and they will , just take a deep breath.....
When someone is picking up your chain, just put a lot of slack on your chain, so they can hoist their anchor with your chain, without dislodging your anchor.

The med is an amazing area. Enjoy!
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 04:49   #201

On med mooring - if there is a bow line (slime line) ignore it until the last. Reverse in, get your stern line on - Windward one first. Then put the engine in forward and take the tension on that line. It will sit there, off the dock and give you time to get the second stern line, then the bow.

Simples!
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 09:04   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo107 View Post
Thanks Boom. As always... a lot of wisdom in your reply. Wishing you the best of luck with your launch. I’ll be sure to follow you on You Tube when you start posting.
Ha ha... I should show my wife your comment about me being wise... Thank you, but I learn from listening to people who know more and from my mistakes. My background made me enjoy solving problems, which is essential in cruising.

My plan is to make YouTube videos that are helpful to others. They'll have information, not just shots of dolphins and women in bikini's (not that it hurts). I have no video editing experience though, so they will be rough, at least in the beginning...
Old 13-04-2019, 09:25   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
Lots and lots of anchorages in the med, so don’t worry about that.

Med mooring is pretty easy. My advice when you’re not singlehanded is to drop the anchor manually and adjust the break so the boat pulls the chain out of the locker. That way , when there is a stiff beam wind, you can speed up without having to worry about the speed of decent of the windlass.
If there’s a bow mooring line with a lazy line , stay well away of the dock, set the aft mooring lines, pick up the nasty, slimy lazy line, pull the bow mooring line in, cleat it off and back further in towards the dock and tighten the aft mooring lines. The bow mooring lines are usually very stretchy.

When anchors get crossed, and they will , just take a deep breath.....
When someone is picking up your chain, just put a lot of slack on your chain, so they can hoist their anchor with your chain, without dislodging your anchor.

The med is an amazing area. Enjoy!
Thank you for the Med mooring tips! I learned something new again, and I've watched all the YouTube videos I could find on the matter.

On my Lagoon 450, I would drop the anchor by letting it free fall. After a season, I saw that the Quick windlass gypsy clutch surface had lost a lot of material. I guess I could have greased it more often? Is this normal? What is your experience?

My Amel has a Lewmar windlass. I need to figure out how the clutch is designed. At least, in the Med I will be closer to parts...
Old 13-04-2019, 09:36   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
On med mooring - if there is a bow line (slime line) ignore it until the last. Reverse in, get your stern line on - Windward one first. Then put the engine in forward and take the tension on that line. It will sit there, off the dock and give you time to get the second stern line, then the bow.

Simples!
Thank you! I understand the theory but I've never done it.

I do not know how well the Amel backs up with the twin rudders. At least, it has a strong bow thruster. It is my understanding that I will have the rudder centered (or off side to compensate for prop walk, current and wind), engine in reverse, and use the bow thruster to control direction. I do not know at what speed the rudders become useful in reverse. If they become effective at a high speed, I will scare a lot of Med moored boat owners...

I'll make sure to practice a lot during the handover.
Old 13-04-2019, 09:59   #205

Quote:
Thank you! I understand the theory but I've never done it.

I do not know how well the Amel backs up with the twin rudders. At least, it has a strong bow thruster. It is my understanding that I will have the rudder centered (or off side to compensate for prop walk, current and wind), engine in reverse, and use the bow thruster to control direction. I do not know at what speed the rudders become useful in reverse. If they become effective at a high speed, I will scare a lot of Med moored boat owners...

I'll make sure to practice a lot during the handover.

With twin rudders you have to have water speed around the rudders to change course. Prop walk do not work as the propeller wash will pass between the rudders.

So you will have to come in with more speed and in the end make corrections with the bow thruster.

Awesome boat. Good Luck
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 10:19   #206

Quote:
Thank you for the Med mooring tips! I learned something new again, and I've watched all the YouTube videos I could find on the matter.

On my Lagoon 450, I would drop the anchor by letting it free fall. After a season, I saw that the Quick windlass gypsy clutch surface had lost a lot of material. I guess I could have greased it more often? Is this normal? What is your experience?

My Amel has a Lewmar windlass. I need to figure out how the clutch is designed. At least, in the Med I will be closer to parts...
I have a Lofrans and don't have that problem, might be you were dropping the chain too fast and it was jumping on the gybsy? Also Lewmar and Lofrans are better quality windlasses than Quick.

BTW with a beam wind, always aim for the windward boat after you've dropped your anchor. Also normally 3 boatlengths is good enough. Once you get a bit of experience, you'll start stressing when you need to park the old way :-). Sailing singlehanded a lot, I actually prefer med mooring, especially when leaving. No more pressed against a leeward dock and having to spring off, etc

I shouldn't worry too much about reversing too much. I've noticed that modern boats, even twin rudders, with a bow thruster behave much better than my old Catalina 36 without a bow thruster.
I need plenty of space, speed, time and keeping my cool to get it going where I want it to go in reverse.
Old 13-04-2019, 10:24   #207

Quote:
Ha ha... I should show my wife your comment about me being wise... Thank you, but I learn from listening to people who know more and from my mistakes. My background made me enjoy solving problems, which is essential in cruising.

My plan is to make YouTube videos that are helpful to others. They'll have information, not just shots of dolphins and women in bikini's (not that it hurts). I have no video editing experience though, so they will be rough, at least in the beginning...
Looking fwd to the vids. I think I'll need to buy a bib to catch my drool when watching your beautiful Amel
Old 13-04-2019, 11:19   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by De.windhoos View Post
I have a Lofrans and don't have that problem, might be you were dropping the chain too fast and it was jumping on the gybsy? Also Lewmar and Lofrans are better quality windlasses than Quick.

BTW with a beam wind, always aim for the windward boat after you've dropped your anchor. Also normally 3 boatlengths is good enough. Once you get a bit of experience, you'll start stressing when you need to park the old way :-). Sailing singlehanded a lot, I actually prefer med mooring, especially when leaving. No more pressed against a leeward dock and having to spring off, etc

I shouldn't worry too much about reversing too much. I've noticed that modern boats, even twin rudders, with a bow thruster behave much better than my old Catalina 36 without a bow thruster.
I need plenty of space, speed, time and keeping my cool to get it going where I want it to go in reverse.
After watching some YouTube videos, I feel like I watched the news, which can be negative and try to be sensational. I am glad you've had good Med mooring experiences.

I remember quite a few interesting un-docking situations, in the S. Pacific, where I had to help monohull friends pull off the dock with my dinghy. I miss cruising... Never a dull day.

Regarding the windlass, the chain was not jumping the gypsy. The Quick gypsy (at the bottom) has a friction surface which rubs against the windlass body. This was the clutch and acted depending on the windlass top bolt tension. After a season, the friction surface on the gypsy was reduced quite noticeably. I guess it is a wear item. I will investigate on the Lewmar windlass.

Regarding drooling, I have been trying to contain myself since I put down the purchase deposit... I have to admit that I am also scared as it is a large purchase. Will the Amel 50 live up to my expectations? For whatever it is worth, I feel very confident about the company. Maybe there is something to this "Amel cult" thing.
Old 13-04-2019, 12:07   #209

Quote:
After watching some YouTube videos, I feel like I watched the news, which can be negative and try to be sensational. I am glad you've had good Med mooring experiences.

I remember quite a few interesting un-docking situations, in the S. Pacific, where I had to help monohull friends pull off the dock with my dinghy. I miss cruising... Never a dull day.

Regarding the windlass, the chain was not jumping the gypsy. The Quick gypsy (at the bottom) has a friction surface which rubs against the windlass body. This was the clutch and acted depending on the windlass top bolt tension. After a season, the friction surface on the gypsy was reduced quite noticeably. I guess it is a wear item. I will investigate on the Lewmar windlass.

Regarding drooling, I have been trying to contain myself since I put down the purchase deposit... I have to admit that I am also scared as it is a large purchase. Will the Amel 50 live up to my expectations? For whatever it is worth, I feel very confident about the company. Maybe there is something to this "Amel cult" thing.
A little bit of The Cult might be The Cure eightisch new wave references
Old 13-04-2019, 14:25   #210

Boat: SM2K 2005

Hello boom 23
I have been following your posting about your new Amel 50 , in the back ground with a lot of interest because I am in the process of looking for an Amel myself but an old one , only a Super Maramu !
If you need help In the MED on the French coast I’ll do my best to help you ! I’m French and leave in Marseille!
I would give you my personal details if I knew a safe way , but I am not that familiar with this site ...
If you do contact me
Best regards
Nick
Laixoi is offline   Reply With Quote