Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2018, 12:53   #16

Boat: C&C
Re: Am I nuts? Seriously considering buying a boat in Canada (I live in the U.S.)

I have a simple solution for you! We are selling our beautiful Canadian owned Fountaine Pajot catamaran and its already in the USA. Currently berthed in Ft Lauderdale and ready to go. The US duty would be paid by us upon purchase by a US resident, so you wouldn't have to worry about anything. The boat was previously US documented so it has a clear title and paperwork for proof. She's a great boat to head back to The Bahamas and cruise on!
Heres the link to it on Yachtworld.

1992 Fountaine Pajot Antigua 37 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 12:59   #17

Boat: Nordship 808
Re: Am I nuts? Seriously considering buying a boat in Canada (I live in the U.S.)

I did it once.
It was both cool and warm.
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 13:40   #18

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia

I live in Canada, and St Maarten

1. In Canada I live in Montreal. We have Lake Champlain nearby. Actually the north end of Lake Champlain is in Canada. As Canadians we can for instance buy a boat in Canada but leave it in the USA part of the Lake to avoid paying the sales taxes (15%). I did this myself many years ago. We can bring it back to Canada on a work order for a maximum of 6 months (otherwise we'd have to pay the 15% sales taxes). Many Canadians bring their boats back to Canada for winter storage with an open work order from one of the Canadian yards. May be there is something as a US citizen regarding saving taxes, I don't know...

2. Because Lake Champlain is of a respectable size you can find Water boats">blue water boats there

3. Often these boats have been used 3-4 months per year, in fresh water, so they have little wear compared to boats of same age found in the south

4. Good clear titles. Canada has a public registry of boats you can query yourself here: Vessel Registration Query System

4. Beware of delamination. Because boats are stored for the winter months in the cold a small water infiltration when it freezes creates delamination, and it gets worse the next year as water now infiltrates a larger area. After many years of storage a small puncture can create large areas of delamination
Old 22-05-2018, 14:32   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I bought my current 83' boat in Canada, but it was originally built in the US. I had no trouble. It had been US documented and returning I had to have an admeasure because the Canadian CG had the boat info all screwed up. But I entered the US after notifying customs ahead. They even filled out the customs forms for me. Actual cost was $12.50.
If you document the boat and are over a certain size you may need to have the boat admeasured (measurement and determination of tonnage). Not cheap.

The broker can point you to companies that do all the paperwork, customs, and registration.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 14:36   #20

Boat: sv/Hopefully Soon

Ahoy
Reading the OP prompts me to ask if there are any Americans owning Canadian boats and not taking them across the boarder, but using only in Canada? I am wondering what the particulars are concerning using the Canadian boat 3-6 months a year, just as Canadian skippers do in the USA.

True sailors never stop sailing, they just continue to sail from their Bay of Experience to their Sea of Dreams.
Wind Souls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 16:48   #21

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Souls View Post
Reading the OP prompts me to ask if there are any Americans owning Canadian boats and not taking them across the boarder, but using only in Canada?
I could see scenarios whereby Americans would buy a Canadian boat to take it south in the Caribbean's without ever bringing it in the USA; or taking it back to the USA many years later, after applying depreciation and possibly work orders to reduce it's value before paying taxes on it :/
Old 22-05-2018, 21:23   #22

Boat: Whitby 42

I purchased my boat in Sidney, BC, had a delivery captain bring it over to Friday Harbor WA so as to avoid paying the Canadian Tax ( yes- you can apply to get it refunded but it was worth the $200 to just avoid it). the delivery captain had done this quite a few times, and knew the procedure at customs. I did pay a broker to help out. Not a big deal getting it into the country.

Getting it CG documented-- that took a little more work. You HAVE to pay for an official copy that the vessel has been removed from the Canadian registration-- even though you can look it up on the web site.
Phantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 09:19   #23

Boat: Island Packet 349

Can someone explain how does currency exchange rate influence the pricing?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 09:41   #24

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

In theory exchange should have little affect on the market. In Canada ( I am Canadian) the market is small and boats tend to be more expensive than the USA. If the US dollar rises or the Canadian fails the US buyer spends less US$ to get Canadian dollars

When the CDN dollar approaches par with the US Canadians go south to buy and this pressures the CDn market to react to lower US prices. They must lower their prices to sell

Canada is full of great IROC style boats. C and C CS and others. Here in Canada people are looking for Hunters Benny and Jenny. Lots in the USA

By example I am flying to Florida to look at boats on Monday. Even with the soft dollar it will be less expensive than the same boat in Canada.

Having said that you can find lots of good deals here ( I can’t find the boat I want).

You can Buy a Zenea suit in Toronto for half of the cost in the USA.

The real issue is a lot of people can’t handle the small amount of paper work. American normally don’t shop in Canada like Canadians shop in the USA
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 09:54   #25

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
In theory exchange should have little affect on the market.
Exactly. It is entirely driven by the supply and demand. In Europe, in particular in the UK, same boat models cost less than in the US.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 13:00   #26

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Souls View Post
Ahoy
Reading the OP prompts me to ask if there are any Americans owning Canadian boats and not taking them across the boarder, but using only in Canada? I am wondering what the particulars are concerning using the Canadian boat 3-6 months a year, just as Canadian skippers do in the USA.
Canadian boats under 10hp do not need to be licensed or registered...no paperwork at all, no taxes, no hassles. This is kind of nice.

So anything with a 9.9 outboard or a yanmar 8 has a huge added bonus. This would include some nice boats like the C&C25 and CS27 and Mirage 27.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, Canada