Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 08:58   #16

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Am I Going To Die - Farr 44

If you are single-handing, then yes, you will likely drown in the ocean.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:07   #17

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
If you are single-handing, then yes, you will likely drown in the ocean.
That was the other thread...
Old 08-06-2015, 09:09   #18

You are dead meat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:30   #19

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

The first problem on board is You!... as you faced no more than 30kn of wind! (F6-7)

2nd issue: boat must be tip top shape
Storm sails (no half-furled sail...)
Removable inner forestay
Cintrol of rigging, and shrouds, till the last nuts
Structurally, I would consider how tanks are positioned and filled up...
And, if possible, i would add a torpedo ballast on your fin-keel, along some naval architect calculations (righting moment and number of current bolts...)

Try to lnow full F7, then F8, then
F9... real one, not wiffs or guts of wind (people enjoy telling you the peak...) in due order, possibly..
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:37   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Am I Going To Die - Farr 44

I'm dead

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:44   #21
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
pirate Re: Am I Going To Die - Farr 44

You guyz are all gonna die, but by reading this thread you will be enabled to die with confidence and a positive attitude.

SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:28   #22

Boat: Nauticat 32

You said you are interested in those (not too common) situations "when the weather turns really nasty". We can assume that before ending up in that kind of a weather you have kept your boat and all its safety related equipment in very good shape, and you will make wise decisions that aim at keeping you out of trouble. We can assume that the probability of ending up in such a storm is not very high. But that can happen even to the best cruisers. I think your question was, what will happen then.

In this situation you will benefit of having a strong seaworthy boat that will not break under the waves or let the water in. You will trust some of the boat's very basic features to keep you floating. If the wind and waves knock you down (90 degrees), the boat should be designed so that it will turn back up. To reduce the risk of being knocked down, you probably have a drogue or sea anchor. Heaving to might work too.

I think that's about what I would rely on "when the weather turns really nasty". I have never been in a storm like that, and I hope I never will. The probabilities of ending up in a storm like that may not be very high. But if we want to be safe, we better estimate the risks and our investments in boats and equipment. There may be some other even more urgent and important safety related investments, but depending on your risk analysis, also the above mentioned basic features could be on the list somewhere. We all will die some day, but there is no need to rush.

I can't say yes or no, and I can't estimate the properties of your boat well enough to tell what you should do. You are the best person to decide what is needed and what is good enough. Just throwing my two cents to the thinking process.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:43   #23

Boat: Pearson 365

Read John Kretchmer's book " Sailing a Serious Ocean ". Wonderful writer and you will learn a lot about types of boats, prep, weather watching, and dealing with what the ocean can throw at you. There is also a lot of advice about what not to do.
Anyone going out in an ocean should read this book.
Franst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 14:07   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Burge,

A "Cook Straits" storm jib. IMO, it is the wrong use for spectra cloth, you don't need stretch-free. Get heavy orange dacron, and weeny. The idea is just a scrap, and as far aft in the foretriangle as is reasonable.

With that, and the JSD, you'll be able to handle some seriously bad conditions. Always assuming the boat is well found, of course.

Ann
Old 08-06-2015, 14:16   #25

Plenty of people have done it in less. And plenty have perished in more! Muckle Flugga has the right take on it, I think.
I would add only this;
Make sure you can seal her up securely. That all your hatches and wash boards are water tight and strongly fastened.
Then figure out how to get her hove to. In case you just have to park her. And if that requires a drogue, chute or sea anchor, make certain you have it and the tackle to do it and that all the likely attachment points are up to the loads and in the right places.
But do use what may be your best heavy weather defense: SPEED! keep a weather eye out and just get out of the way. What ever weather tech you can put on board and learn will be a good investment.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 14:20   #26

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Burge,

A "Cook Straits" storm jib. IMO, it is the wrong use for spectra cloth, you don't need stretch-free. Get heavy orange dacron, and weeny. The idea is just a scrap, and as far aft in the foretriangle as is reasonable.

With that, and the JSD, you'll be able to handle some seriously bad conditions. Always assuming the boat is well found, of course.

Ann
Well it is debateable certainly. My hesitation would mainly be related to the overstrength quality of the material, which is also its very advantage. Spectra/Dyneema/UHWMPE will not flog to pieces or fail in vibration as I understand. Dacron may well be enough, but then I have had dacron sails vibrate to pieces in minutes in a severe blow. Admittedly a heavily built, rarely used stom jib in dacron will be less prone to this. Interested why you would say no to it, though, other than the cost. Of course understand the orange aspect.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 14:27   #27

Rereading my earlier post I realise I misspoke about Kauri. A fine and beautiful wood, but as I understand it only moderately rot resistant. So yes, good to be sure of the hull integrity before departure.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 08-06-2015, 14:28   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Well it is debateable certainly. My hesitation would mainly be related to the overstrength quality of the material, which is also its very advantage. Spectra/Dyneema/UHWMPE will not flog to pieces or fail in vibration as I understand. Dacron may well be enough, but then I have had dacron sails vibrate to pieces in minutes in a severe blow. Admittedly a heavily built, rarely used stom jib in dacron will be less prone to this. Interested why you would say no to it, though, other than the cost. Of course understand the orange aspect.
I agree with the heavy dacron storm sail, I also think the odds of using it are quite low if you are a trade wind sailor.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 14:38   #29

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
I'm sure many died but many did not.
I'm pretty sure they all died.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 14:41   #30

One thing I remain curious about is the construction of the vessel. Triple skin kauri but glassed over. At what point was the glassing done and for what reason?

http://newboatbuilders.com/docs/fiberglassoverwood.pdf