Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2020, 13:35   #16

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Aluminum world cruiser with 4900 liters of fuel

After looking at all the pictures what I see is (except for the house) a well done work boat built to commercial vessel standards, not a yacht.

With this boat you get durability, not sailing performance or beauty. However the hull shape and keel/rudder configuration means it might sail decently. At 50,000lbs for a 48ft boat it would need a big sail area (not specified in the adv).

It's just ticket for someone who wants a solid, rugged, bullet proof vessel which can go anywhere and sail if the conditions are right. Just the ticket for someone who wants that.

It wouldn't be me.
Old 20-10-2020, 15:50   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
My Meta Voyager 47 holds 6227 liters of diesel. The advantage is you bunker the fuel when it is cheap. Mine also serves as part of the ballast so the last 1000 liters you don’t really want to use unless desperate.

At 1.1 liters per NM fuel burn for both engines without using the sails at all, we have enough range to cross most oceans non stop.

I agree though about the pilothouse welding looks rather amateurish or something I would do myself.

Having grown up in Japan, I do appreciate the “ofuro” Japanese style bath. The rest of the mechanical installation looks extremely well done to high specs and certainly not recreational grade.

If I was in the market for yet another boat I would look hard at this one.
Looking at a (previous?) listing of your boat, I think it make perfect sense in the arctic, yours are better in almost all respect, amazing 1.2m draft and able to beach, and surprisingly light as well at 25 tonnes displacement with those load.
I think a 25 tonne boat would burn around 2 gallons at 7 knots, this would yield a similar figure despite more draft I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
After looking at all the pictures what I see is (except for the house) a well done work boat built to commercial vessel standards, not a yacht.

With this boat you get durability, not sailing performance or beauty. However the hull shape and keel/rudder configuration means it might sail decently. At 50,000lbs for a 48ft boat it would need a big sail area (not specified in the adv).

It's just ticket for someone who wants a solid, rugged, bullet proof vessel which can go anywhere and sail if the conditions are right. Just the ticket for someone who wants that.

It wouldn't be me.
Yeah, I suspect the work boat aesthetic would make it easier to keel as well.
The weld isn't that good but probably sturdy enough still for almost all conditions.
Plenty of storage for the beam and length, but I would wanted a better cabin/berth or will have to sleep in the saloon.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 16:49   #18

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I think it’s a fishing boat converted to a yacht by a cabinet maker. I’m not insulting you. Who ever owned it spent a lot of time in north Japan or even further north. Lots of little details. Really set up for motor sailing in a snow storm. What do you want for this price. The aluminum is worth more.
What’s wrong with a work boat that works.
Do it. It’s Orca proof. Happy trails to you.
Captain Mark and his “Get out the saws all “ manatee crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 22:24   #19

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/2...ta-48-3668261/
Looks like everything about this boat is very well thought out, from ventilation and various system.
Not a fan of the Japanese style bath and the claustrophobic berth.
Very generous fuel capacity.

What are your thoughts?
Looks home made going by the lack of curved panels, and the rough welding, plus the somewhat 'agricultural' bracing etc.

Well you did ask .....
Old 21-10-2020, 12:47   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Looks like everything about this boat is very well thought out, from ventilation and various system.

What are your thoughts?
Looks well taken care of. No pics of wiring looking like spaghettis.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 18:10   #21

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

I did a little research. It’s not a conversion. I found a lot of additional photos.
This vessel was built by shipbuilders. For example. The seacock photo shows a double flanged standpipe. The bottom flange is welded to the hull. The top flange has a spacer then a flanged stainless steel ball valve bolted on top. Perfect.
The welding in the hull is completely different from the deckhouse. Might have been finished outside the yard or by another contractor. The Bimini is a ugly but as it’s an aluminum yacht, you just saw it off and weld on what looks best.
There are so many little details that shout this boat was designed by someone who worked as a commercial or fishing captain. Also it was clearly designed for high latitude sailing.
Needs work, changes but at this price, looks like a great deal. The more I looked at details, the more I could see a solid boat well designed for exploration.
Happy trails to you
Captain Mark and his polar bear proof, manatee life boat
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 23:42   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
I did a little research. It’s not a conversion. I found a lot of additional photos.
This vessel was built by shipbuilders. For example. The seacock photo shows a double flanged standpipe. The bottom flange is welded to the hull. The top flange has a spacer then a flanged stainless steel ball valve bolted on top. Perfect.
The welding in the hull is completely different from the deckhouse. Might have been finished outside the yard or by another contractor. The Bimini is a ugly but as it’s an aluminum yacht, you just saw it off and weld on what looks best.
There are so many little details that shout this boat was designed by someone who worked as a commercial or fishing captain. Also it was clearly designed for high latitude sailing.
Needs work, changes but at this price, looks like a great deal. The more I looked at details, the more I could see a solid boat well designed for exploration.
Happy trails to you
Captain Mark and his polar bear proof, manatee life boat
Yeah, the interior can do with some changes, not what I am looking at the moment but not an expensive boat and probably not expensive to run and keep.
An interesting boat, not a yacht, but a dedicated long distance type of cruiser.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 05:54   #23

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Too much windage above the waterline makes for a cranky boat under sail.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2020, 09:34   #24

Boat: Beneteau

Too much thought and not enough passion. Sometimes common sense rules and aesthetic falls by the wayside. There are better examples of the two working in unison.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2020, 13:12   #25

Wait....138K Pounds Sterling and no hot water for the shower??
Old 30-10-2020, 13:47   #26

Boat: Nonsuch 30

The engine has 10,000+ hours. If this is for propulsion, there are lots of other ways to generate power, at six knots that is more than 60,000 nm of motoring. In our circumnavigation with a 16,000 kg 45 footer we motored for something like 300 hours. It is entirely possible that this boat is a dog under sail. I noticed that it has the original main. Highly unlikely to have lasted for 20 years and so many miles. This boat sounds like a motorsailor of sorts. Nothing wrong with that as long as a buyer wants that.
Old 30-10-2020, 17:53   #27

Boat: Chris Craft Dory 22'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Why does a sailboat need 4900 liters of fuel?

Ballast,maybe?
NNBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 07:47   #28

Boat: Garcia Passoa 47

Some equipment is wimpy. Windlass fare too small, winches a bit small, stove a joke
Th items are fixable
Range of 2500 miles with 4900 litres of fuel is strange. We have a similar size and weight boat and use half that much fuel. Or 700 litres capacity is plenty

Draft is too shallow to sail well to windward, especially with the huge house.

With a 21 metre high mast (if that is mast and not air draft) should give reasonable sail area
nmccubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 08:47   #29

Boat: a sailing boat

Q: Why does a boat need 4900 liters of fuel?

A: Domino effect. Once the fuel tank is 500 liters, you need the extra 4400 liters to move the whole thing about.

This specific boat is not a sailiboat with aux motor. It is much more a motor boat with aux sails.

Nothing wrong with this solution, imho.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 15:30   #30

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Quote:

What are your thoughts?
At first view it looks like a lot of boat for the price. Aluminum boats are expensive. My first concern would be its ability to sail. I doubt its a great sailing boat, likely more of a motor sailing boat which may be okay if that's what you are looking for. There will be a lot of windage due to the height of the deck house, as some one else mentioned there is no information on sail inventory. Also the size of the winches are minimal for this size of boat. Taking this into consideration along with its fuel capacity, hull design and, engine hours I would have to assume that it's sailing performance is poor.

Other concerns are no hot water and I didn't see anything indicating how the interior is heated, perhaps I missed that. It did mention a water maker that needed servicing, which means it is likely not working. The on board electronics are adequate however nothing special, as are battery charging systems, 200 W solar, 50 amp alternator, 30 amp shore power charger. Again I would consider all of these systems to be minimal.

The set-up of the galley and head facilities again are adequate however minimal (I appear to be using this term a lot).

Overall the quality of the hull construction of the boat appears to be good however I'm not so sure that was extended to the construction of the deckhouse. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder however this sailboat does not have nice lines. It appears the boat was originally built for another purpose and then modified to be a pilot house motor sailing boat. I think whomever purchase this boat needs to have a good reserve fund for upgrades, most concerns can be easily rectified with the exception of its sailing performance - I would definitely take this boat out in varying wind conditions to see how it handled. Interesting boat!!!
dmkkeng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, cruise, cruiser, fuel