Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 15:27   #1

Aluminium hull teak deck

It might seem like a silly question. but i have been searching online and i can't seem to find out how teak decking is secured to an aluminium sailboat. Are they screwed into the aluminium hull or secured to a timber frame ?? The boat im asking about was built in 1972 if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200608-WA0005.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	217783  
Dphibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 16:52   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Aluminium hull teak deck

If you see bungs in the teak mechanical fastenings are present. If not, perhaps it was laid down over a mastic. Can you remove any overhead panels to determine if the deck has been compromised with fastenings?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 17:04   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If you look closely in your attached pic you can see bungs, so I'm going to say it's screwed down. Had seen this done on a steel boat and it was a problem.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 17:05   #4

Its not my boat (yet) im trying to determine how much work it would be to remove and if there is thousands of holes in the deck. Because its aluminium and not fiberglass i wouldn't know where to start.
Thank you
Old 20-06-2020, 17:08   #5

That is what i thought too but my uncle said it could be screwed to a (frame system) like battens for example.
Old 20-06-2020, 17:48   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes battens are one option but it is hard work and deployed mostly on curved decks. When the deck is flattish, it is at times done on plywood sheets glued to the alloy surface - planks get screwed onto the sheets.

A very easy method is mastic glue but alloy plate is difficult to prime. I believe it is etched then.

As soon as you lift one plank, you discover the technique used.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 17:58   #7

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Since the wood doesn't go all the way to the toerail, and it doesn't look like the transition between the aluminum and teak has much of a rise, I'd guess that there isn't a base frame under the wood. It looks to be screwed right into the aluminum.

Matt
Old 20-06-2020, 18:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
It looks to be screwed right into the aluminum.

Agree w/Matt that it probably screwed into the aluminum deck.

If you had a lot of holes to fill you could use an aluminum reinforced epoxy putty to fill them (or possibly just thickened epoxy) then paint over w/nonskid.
Didn't see the size of the boat, but certain it would be a big job and once over you will be filled w/joy.
Old 21-06-2020, 01:14   #9

I will definitely check that out. Thanks for helping me out. Its much appreciated. Oh and she is 45 feet so there will be plenty of holes 😂 ( cant wait).
Now onto figuring out the next problem. Cheers lads
Old 21-06-2020, 01:24   #10

We had a heavy displacement steel ketch which had teaks decks, I was worried that water could get under it and cause rust so I had it removed. After the removal the boat was 3 inches higher in the water.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 03:45   #11

Boat: Kanter 54

We have just been through this. 25year old decks screwed to aluminium.

There will be a lot of surface corrosion under the teak! even the odd hole!

We chose to weld the screw holes then sand blast good paint system and glued new teak. I see no reason why one couldn't sand blast paint then epoxy fill the holes fair then non skid. (perhaps a little worried that the back of the holes not sealed). You'll probably get a reasonable amount of sand into the boat however.

Took a couple of guys about three days to weld all the holes on 54ft. They drilled put in a pop rivet then seal welded and ground off although I think just welding would have been better. I was always hanging around inside when they did this for obvious reasons
Audeamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 05:49   #12

Have no doubt it will be a large job to remove the teak and fill holes. Luckily the majority of the job will be the demolition and it isn't rocket science either. With that said when you pull up planks, you will want to mark all the holes you find immediately before they get covered in debris or you ending up missing some.

A friend working on a f/g boat and was very proud of himself that he was able to remove the teak decks very quickly (in a couple of days). He cut some screws off and didn't mark all the holes, which in the end caused water leaks as he found holes months later that he didn't fill.

The sand blasting could do the trick for some corroded areas, but seems messy (hate sand on the boat). When we redid our aluminum bow sprit a couple of years ago, we found some surface corrosion under the rail fittings and the new bow rail fittings were in a different spot. This is where we learned about the aluminum reinforced epoxy (we used Devcon) to repair the surface corrosion. Easy to use, sanded nicely, faired the spots well and after a couple of years still looks good.

While it may be a lot of holes, would probably try to do a light countersink on each hole and fill w/Devcon (or similar) then depending on the amount of surface corrosion deal w/those areas to fair them if they will be in your "gloss areas" not in the nonskid deck layout. If my memory is correct we used an etching prep (on freshly exposed aluminum) then an epoxy primer as a tie coat. Again nothing all that difficult, but break up the larger sections into smaller jobs so they don't seem so overwhelming.

A totally doable job and it will look great when you are done.

As always, post pics of your boat after you buy it!
Old 21-06-2020, 08:49   #13

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

We always bedded the teak down then screwed directly to the aluminum deck plate. Teak was plugged, planks caulked the everything was sanded.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 09:30   #14

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dphibbs View Post
Its not my boat (yet) im trying to determine how much work it would be to remove and if there is thousands of holes in the deck. Because its aluminium and not fiberglass i wouldn't know where to start.
Thank you

Is the deck or cabin top leaking? If not, why not sand the teak?
The photo shows some of the bungs missing, so pull one of the screws to see if they are SS or aluminum.

If they are stainless, you are forced to remove everything because there is undoubtedly galvanic corrosion. As that may be widespread, you may want to reconsider this project altogether.
If aluminum screws, I would guess they would simply shear with any amount of torque. After peeling the teak, you could possible leave those stubs to keep the epoxy repair goo from dripping inside. Sand/sandblast and finish with primer/paint/non-skid.

I would personally never spend thousands on replacing the teak. Ask John Kretschmer who recently peeled his teak decks.
Bottom line for me would be: is the teak deck leaking below? If not, it's a cosmetic problem that can be handled with a sanding pad and some teak sawdust/glue in the exposed bungs.

Eventually, if the screws are SS, you're probably screwed (literally and figuratively), you will have leaks, and everything's got to come up.
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 09:41   #15

My caution would be that the SS screws may be permanently stuck into the aluminum. They wont come out, they will just break off or come out with a bunch of white powder that used to be aluminum.
This could be a real hard job. Now if there are no leaks, you could just repair the decking, resurface and recaulk. it will never come off! One wonders how corroded the aluminum is under the planking though....

I removed the teak decks from my HC38. I had it painted and put Treadmaster down. It came out very nice, but really? I should have just resurfaced, recaulked them. It was a bear to do.
I think in the back of my mind I just always wanted to do it really, so I did it on one boat!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hull, teak, teak deck