Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 03:02   #1

Alu centerborder for family cruising

Dear All, we are family of four with two young children and looking for are new, actually first on saltwater, boat. We have 10 years of experience with usual chartering and dinghy racing nearly all weekends in the summer. We also have all the needed licences, but lack of offshore cruising experiences.

We are planning a 2-3 years long cruising in the Med, cross the Atlantic to Caribbean and back. I have no idea what comes up after...

I've done extensive research on possible boats, and come up an idea to buy an aluminum center-border. Because it is incredible difficult to finance a boat from eastern european income (which is 1/10th of the wester-european one) we are looking for a small, but comfortable boat for us, which is not a financial crisis to berth in the Med if needed.

The ideal boat seems to me:

1. Ovni 395
2. Ovni 365
3. Ovni 385

(I've also checked other brands, but they seems more expensive)

Is there anyone who cruising on one of these? Especially with young ones? What are your experiences? Is there any drawbacks because of the aluminum deck?

There is very few info on Ovnis in English. (or Hungarian) I've even tried to read the Ovni owners forum using google translate, but i could not find answers to my questions. It seems that there is a debate that from nautical point of view the 365 is more modern and faster, but just a bit smaller than 395. Is it true? Is there any significant difference?

One review mention that 385 hasn't got standing height in the saloon. It would be a exclusion for us, we looking for at least 1.90 headroom and 4+2 at least 2 meters long comfy berths.

I would prefer the 3 cabin versions of these types, but I'm not sure that there is enough storage for live aboard with a family, and the small head seems to be hardly useable. Any experiences on this?

I've been to the last two big boat shows (London and Düsseldorf), but Ovni didn't show up. Now I am planning a trip to west and south France to view as many Ovni as I can find, but I need some input to narrow my search to what I really need. (Do I need a bigger one?)

The maximum budget is 200.000 EUR, but we want to save as much for cruising as we can. (My main concern is that an old but well equipped Amel Maramu is half the price, means much longer trouble free cruising...)

Any advice on self surveying on Ovni would be appreciated too.

Thanks for your advice,

B.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pethob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:57   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Alu centerborder for family cruising

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, pethob.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:57   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Welcome aboard also. With a budget of $200K, there are many great boats out there.

However, as you are Euro based, there is no need for a swing keel boat.. in fact the Caribbean and Bahamas benefit from shallow draft but few other areas.

With your $200K, you could also get one of these... OPINION.. every one below will be more satisfying than a Ovni and will be easier to care for than an alu boat. (I love alu boats but Ovni's have too many restrictions for me.)

1989 Hallberg Rassy 45 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2003 Wauquiez Centurion 45s Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1991 Najad 420 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Lastly, you could do a lot worse than an Amel... I own one.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:30   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One time we were romancing an Alu boat, and sought advice from our friend who built their own aluminum cutter.

What he said that was critical, was to see if there is dirt anywhere in the bilges. It makes a place for the salt air to collect and lie against the hull plates and pit them. So, you will need to take a headlamp and a hand torch, and grovel a lot to look in all the nooks and crannies. If it is clean and un-pitted, then you're good to go.

In your case, since you have definite ideas about the size of the berths, and your headroom, I'd suggest measuring them first off, to save time, and only after all your other requirements have been met, do the dirty work. Be sure and also evaluate access to systems you will be working on.

Ann
Old 08-02-2016, 12:31   #5

Thanks for your opinion. What restrictions do you mean compared to a similar length aft cockpit GRP design?

I understand a price difference, If I can afford I would definitely enjoy the shallow draft.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
One time we were romancing an Alu boat, and sought advice from our friend who built their own aluminum cutter.

What he said that was critical, was to see if there is dirt anywhere in the bilges. It makes a place for the salt air to collect and lie against the hull plates and pit them. So, you will need to take a headlamp and a hand torch, and grovel a lot to look in all the nooks and crannies. If it is clean and un-pitted, then you're good to go.

In your case, since you have definite ideas about the size of the berths, and your headroom, I'd suggest measuring them first off, to save time, and only after all your other requirements have been met, do the dirty work. Be sure and also evaluate access to systems you will be working on.

Ann

Thanks I will check the bilges. But is there any typical weak point on Ovnis, what needs to be checked?

Old 08-02-2016, 13:13   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

On the Ovni, & similar aluminum hulled centerboarders: I've always wondered how one both kept tabs on the status of the bottom paint, & that of the barrier coat, inside of the centerboard trunk. Ditto on much of the centerboard that's normally out of sight. Tucked up inside of the trunk.

And I ask because there must be a substantial bit of abrasion going on between the board & the trunk, especially when under sail. Particularly upwind.
This, even if one was to put some UHMW Polyethelyne strips/patches onto the sides of the board, so as to cut down on friction. And thus, subsequent coating wear.

But even with "Teflon Washers", as it were. I'm sure that there still has to be a fair amount of movement between the two; continually, 24/7.
Which strikes me as being very, very hard on the coatings on both the trunk & the board.

So what's the fix? As, if you wear off your coatings in an aluminum boat, you're sunk, literally.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 04:43   #8

My boot - http://www.ayc-yachtbroker.com/ovni-445 2009 cross the Atlantic one year to the Caribbean and back in the Mediterranean.

Отправлено с моего iPad используя Tapatalk
edd248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:12   #9

Boat: Westerly Corsair 36

Hi, like you I like OVNI's and alu. boats in general. Unfortunately I can't get myself to sell my current boat, a Westerly Corsair 36 that I refitted over the years, and buy an OVNI but if you are planning to travel to France to see OVNI's for sale I would strongly suggest that you visit their plant in Les Sables d'Olonne on the west coast of France not far from La Rochelle. I did it a couple of years back. I would bet one of their Sales people will speak English and they will gladly take you through a tour of their plant. They may even give you information on a few used OVNI's for sale. It makes for a very interesting and informative visit.
Their internet site is: www.ALUBAT.com
jmpapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:10   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Wow...those are 3 great looking boats! I never see anything like those in my area (Lake Ontario, Canada).
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:20   #11

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I suggest spending some time on this website https://www.morganscloud.com/ There is plenty of free information here for any sailor and specifically one who is interested in an aluminum boat. If you are still interested you can subscribe and get much more detail.

I purchased an well used aluminum boat several years ago. I had a French production boat before. There is no comparison to the safety one feels from a thick metal hull between you and the water. You will not regret getting a swinging keel either. The possibilities are endless and much more interesting than always worrying about kissing the bottom. You can PM me for more information.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:21   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pethob View Post
Thanks I will check the bilges. But is there any typical weak point on Ovnis, what needs to be checked?

I know squat about aluminum boats. I suggest you search threads. I thought they would be the nuts, however that does not seem to be the case. Most seem to be a one off or of limited production. For what is isn't worth go GRP.

Homeless, if he was not a troll, had an ongoing thread about China Doll. I believe he either got POed or realized he was self destructive as far as resale value by prosting?

Best of luck!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:57   #13

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Is it a safety thing for your family that you desire the metal boat? Lots of articles for you to read and think about under google search and aluminum boats at the top of our CF page concerning aluminum boats. Be very careful of older aluminum boats. Some of them were expedition style boats and were used very hard. You will need to get a very good marine survey of rig, plate thickness, and gone over very carefully.

We have a couple of marine welders on this forum who should speak up about the problems with aluminum in marine environments over long periods of time if the boats were not properly taken care of with anodes, electrical groundings inside the boat, and other things that are specific issues with metal boats. All platforms have their pluses and minuses. Aluminum boats are cool.

Last thing...u r a careful man and you are right to understand the cost of a boat and the money needed to keep her going. Don't stretch too far and too deep into your "maximum" budget for a boat. Many excellent fiberglass boats available. Those posted were excellent boats but too close to your budget maximum. Also I am not a big fan of teak decks...I guess I am lazy.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:48   #14

Boat: Farr 1020

I see nobody so far has raised the issue of insulation. Aluminium boats will have a lot of condensation if they are not insulated. I once looked at one without any and every nook and cranny was damp, backs of all lining panels were mouldy and so forth.
Check the anode - the one on a strop that is dropped over the side when moored. It is the most essential protection
Also, never do any wiring work without vacuum cleaner. Copper is the worst enemy of marine grade alloys.
Never owned an Ovni, but never heard bad comments on them either. I understand that, in the extreme, lying ahull with the board raised is very comfortable - if such a comment can be made about being at sea in a major storm!
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 13:14   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

Pethob,

Ovnis are fabulous boats. Relatively fast, relatively safe, easy to drive, comfortable and with decent water / storage capacity. True cruising machines.

They are somewhat difficult to maneuver in tight spaces when the wind is howling.

We met many Ovnis when sailing around and none of the owners said a single bad word for their boats. We got pretty close with a couple sailing an Ovni 385 half way around (AUS to RSA) and this one we know better than others. It is a great cruising boat. Full stop.

I also know one of the newer bigger 445 Ovnis where I worked as a preparateur for the ARC. Her crew were Russian and so in Las Palmas they wanted someone who can fluently move between the Spanish and the Western way of working and thinking - they were adding much new equipment to this one and also making some major modifications. Frankly, given that experience, I would shop for one of the earlier Ovnis.

As you said there are pretty many options like Allures, Boreals, Atlantics, etc. etc. etc. Some are faster, some have more out and out cruising features, etc. BUT with a fine Ovni you will have a proper cruising tool. Just add water.

Have fun shopping and buying, then sailing.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, family