Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 21:33   #16

Boat: Volkscruiser
Re: Alu centerborder for family cruising

Jimmy Cornell owned an Ovni, so any talk about limitations really is just bullsh*t. Having surveyed and been on a number of Ovnis I think they are great boats. If we had the budget we would own one. Instead I have built the poor mans version out of plywood. I actually ran a tape measure over one, just to get the general dimensions for our own yacht. Shoal draft has a lot going for it, drying out while the kids play on the beach has got to be the best idea ever. We live near Fraser Island so there is heaps of shallow water to explore.
Thanks and sorry if I sound slightly biased.
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 00:22   #17

Boat: I am working on find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
On the Ovni, & similar aluminum hulled centerboarders: I've always wondered how one both kept tabs on the status of the bottom paint, & that of the barrier coat, inside of the centerboard trunk. Ditto on much of the centerboard that's normally out of sight. Tucked up inside of the trunk.

And I ask because there must be a substantial bit of abrasion going on between the board & the trunk, especially when under sail. Particularly upwind.
This, even if one was to put some UHMW Polyethelyne strips/patches onto the sides of the board, so as to cut down on friction. And thus, subsequent coating wear.

But even with "Teflon Washers", as it were. I'm sure that there still has to be a fair amount of movement between the two; continually, 24/7.
Which strikes me as being very, very hard on the coatings on both the trunk & the board.

So what's the fix? As, if you wear off your coatings in an aluminum boat, you're sunk, literally.
I belíve that there is no barrier coat there. Barrier coat is used for prevent the contact to other metal pieces (par example inside the hull), not to prevent the contact to saltwater. It is not likely that the board gets contacted to other metal objects for longer period of time.
banyuela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 00:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd248 View Post
My boot - http://www.ayc-yachtbroker.com/ovni-445 2009 cross the Atlantic one year to the Caribbean and back in the Mediterranean.

Отправлено с моего iPad используя Tapatalk

It's nice, but you need to half the price at least to fit our budget. :-(

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pethob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 00:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpapon View Post
Hi, like you I like OVNI's and alu. boats in general. Unfortunately I can't get myself to sell my current boat, a Westerly Corsair 36 that I refitted over the years, and buy an OVNI but if you are planning to travel to France to see OVNI's for sale I would strongly suggest that you visit their plant in Les Sables d'Olonne on the west coast of France not far from La Rochelle. I did it a couple of years back. I would bet one of their Sales people will speak English and they will gladly take you through a tour of their plant. They may even give you information on a few used OVNI's for sale. It makes for a very interesting and informative visit.
Their internet site is: www.ALUBAT.com

Thanks I have already contacted Alubat and Allures factories and I am definitely going to visit them.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pethob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 00:49   #20

This is the OP here. Unfortunately we had different registrations on different devices. I would continue as Banyuela.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:01   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Is it a safety thing for your family that you desire the metal boat? Lots of articles for you to read and think about under google search and aluminum boats at the top of our CF page concerning aluminum boats. Be very careful of older aluminum boats. Some of them were expedition style boats and were used very hard. You will need to get a very good marine survey of rig, plate thickness, and gone over very carefully.

We have a couple of marine welders on this forum who should speak up about the problems with aluminum in marine environments over long periods of time if the boats were not properly taken care of with anodes, electrical groundings inside the boat, and other things that are specific issues with metal boats. All platforms have their pluses and minuses. Aluminum boats are cool.

Last thing...u r a careful man and you are right to understand the cost of a boat and the money needed to keep her going. Don't stretch too far and too deep into your "maximum" budget for a boat. Many excellent fiberglass boats available. Those posted were excellent boats but too close to your budget maximum. Also I am not a big fan of teak decks...I guess I am lazy.
The main concern on choosing alu is not safety but versatility. A well equipped GRP boat is safe, but I would use the boat for very long time, and I very impressed about high latitude sailing too...
Old 11-02-2016, 01:28   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarraluda View Post
I see nobody so far has raised the issue of insulation. Aluminium boats will have a lot of condensation if they are not insulated. I once looked at one without any and every nook and cranny was damp, backs of all lining panels were mouldy and so forth.
Check the anode - the one on a strop that is dropped over the side when moored. It is the most essential protection
Also, never do any wiring work without vacuum cleaner. Copper is the worst enemy of marine grade alloys.
Never owned an Ovni, but never heard bad comments on them either. I understand that, in the extreme, lying ahull with the board raised is very comfortable - if such a comment can be made about being at sea in a major storm!
Insulation is essential. Just as is heating, to reduce humidity and prevent condensation. My reading experience is that the usual way for heating in Ovni is forced warm air. Has anybody installed a gravity fed stove on Ovni?

(Sorry I have thousands more question on any upcoming topic.)
Old 11-02-2016, 01:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Pethob,

[...]

As you said there are pretty many options like Allures, Boreals, Atlantics, etc. etc. etc. Some are faster, some have more out and out cruising features, etc. BUT with a fine Ovni you will have a proper cruising tool. Just add water.

Have fun shopping and buying, then sailing.

Cheers,
b.
Unfortunately Allures, Boreals, Atlantics are much more expensive and out of my budget.

I am also looking for (used) Alliage, which seems to be realistic. Any comment on them? Or any other kind worth do the research? (Looking for alu centerborders 40-44 range.)
Old 11-02-2016, 05:34   #24

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyuela View Post
I belíve that there is no barrier coat there. Barrier coat is used for prevent the contact to other metal pieces (par example inside the hull), not to prevent the contact to saltwater. It is not likely that the board gets contacted to other metal objects for longer period of time.
If I remember well, the board is a pivoting, not sliding one.

Then what material is the bolt that it pivots around? Not SS?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:40   #25

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyuela View Post
Unfortunately Allures, Boreals, Atlantics are much more expensive and out of my budget.

I am also looking for (used) Alliage, which seems to be realistic. Any comment on them? Or any other kind worth do the research? (Looking for alu centerborders 40-44 range.)
This one looks interesting;
VIA 42-1984

nb;AYC has sold a lot of centerboarders(look at their aleady sold boats)
AYC Yachtbroker,also Alliage
they have a 44 on offer,180k,the only disadvantage as far as I can tell is that it has a painted alu hull,so you scratch the paint...,nice ride though,used to be more expensive than ovni.
Berret Racoupeau Yacht Design - Naval Architect - Alliage

they are no longer in business.

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:55   #26

you might also have a look at Koopmans designs,although not all of them can dry out.

Cheers,
JJ
Old 11-02-2016, 06:33   #27

Boat: a sailing boat

Yes. Alliage are often seen as at least as good as Ovni and I have heard opinions where French people said Alliage are one shelf up.

I have seen a handful of them at the dock and I liked them all, but I have never been onboard nor sailed one.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:18   #28

Hmm blog of another Via 42;

Via 42 for sale !

enjoy!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:19   #29

Boat: OVNI 435 - Pelerin

Hi

If your budget can run to it I'd look for a 435 (or even a 43), as they are nicer to live aboard (in my view) The 385 and 395 are good too.

The Alliage is a very different style of boat, nicely built but maybe not as rugged(or rustic) as the Ovni's. And I've never seen an unpainted Alliage, and personally I'd avoid a painted hull.

The board on Ovni's pivots on an aluminium shaft running in Ertalyte bushings - it's pretty simple and very strong.

And I've only ever seen one Ovni with a Refleks stove, which was a 435 where they had opted not to have a fridge (between the galley and the main bulkhead). This is largely to do with the lack of an obvious space to mount the stove where you wouldn't burn yourself all the time. Pity - we'd love one, but we're stuck with a Webasto blown air heater.

Hope this helps

C
Sharkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:15   #30

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Here is a nice Meta Dalu in SA 1988 Meta DALU 40 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, family