Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2021, 22:13   #1

Boat: Hanse 531
Alternatives to a Hanse 458?

Hello!

We're considering an upgrade from our current boat (a Hanse 388) to the next one, and as a self-confessed Hanse fanboy (or fanperson), I'm looking at the Hanse 458.

Where else should I be looking?

Some things I'd like to get by upgrading:

- More (storage) space for sails and other relevant stuff.
- More speed.
- A Better way to store the dinghy. An easier way to launch/retrieve it.

Some things I'm dreaming of, that I don't think I'll get with this upgrade:

- More protection from the weather when it's cold.
- Separate bunks/sleeping places for the children (who now share doubles).
- Really easy dinghy operation/storage (maybe without deflating/inflating it all the time, like on a Hanse 548-588 with a garage, or any boat with davits).
- Less draft.

For those reasons, I think the next boat after the next boat could be a catamaran, but before we get there, there might be one boat in between.

A new Hanse 458 configured with about the same stuff we have on our 388 is about 270 k€ + VAT, so that's a rough budget.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	98b3df4a23066b168391202ff6bf8ff7c397cd53_n4.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	236813  
Old 18-04-2021, 22:18   #2

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: Alternatives to a Hanse 458?

As a Hanse person, have you considered this?

https://www.hanseyachtsag.com/moody/...ts/moody-ds45/

That's what I'd be looking at if I had a family your size and the pocket book to match...

[Nice video but somebody get her a lavalier mic!]
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 23:32   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I would not be looking at something like that, for sailing in our neck of the woods. Not the slightest protection from the elements -- that's a strictly fair weather sailing boat. Remember what they said about last summer in Finland? It was really good -- both days were sunny!

For that money you can buy a used Hallberg Rassy. Something like this? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...sy-43-3800468/

Or this? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005/moody-49-3695200/

Something with a proper windshield and spray hood, strong and long-lasting, beautifully fitted out below. That surfboard of a Hanse 458 is made for daysailing in the Med, not for our conditions.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 00:38   #4

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I would not be looking at something like that, for sailing in our neck of the woods. Not the slightest protection from the elements -- that's a strictly fair weather sailing boat. Remember what they said about last summer in Finland? It was really good -- both days were sunny!

For that money you can buy a used Hallberg Rassy. Something like this? https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...sy-43-3800468/

Something with a proper windshield and spray hood, strong and long-lasting, beautifully fitted out below. That surfboard of a Hanse 458 is made for daysailing in the Med, not for our conditions.
Nice boat.

LOVE the center cockpit.

The Moody I linked to stands right up to it, I think, but what do I know? Unlike Dockhead, I've never sailed a Moody.... or a Halberg-Rassey...

Though I have sailed in Finland!

Hymyä ja hyvää tuulta!
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 19-04-2021, 02:11   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Nice boat.

LOVE the center cockpit.

The Moody I linked to stands right up to it, I think, but what do I know? Unlike Dockhead, I've never sailed a Moody.... or a Halberg-Rassey...

Hymyä ja hyvää tuulta!

The Hanse Moody would certainly work up here. It's basically a monomaran -- much like a cat, with many of the advantages of a cat. It's a matter of taste -- don't know if it suits the OP. But will be out of his budget I guess.

A used English Moody or Hallberg Rassy would be very good for sailing up here and should be affordable. HRs are very popular up here and not accidentally -- they are designed for exactly this kind of sailing. NOT daysailing in the med on sunny days!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 19-04-2021, 02:50   #6

Quote:
It's not a "fair-weather sailing boat", come on! Up here you add a sprayhood, a heater, and you're all the way CE A good to go!

Quote:

Lovely boats! It would be nice to experience sailing on one
Old 19-04-2021, 02:59   #7

Quote:
The Hanse Moody would certainly work up here. It's basically a monomaran -- much like a cat, with many of the advantages of a cat. It's a matter of taste -- don't know if it suits the OP. But will be out of his budget I guess.

A used English Moody or Hallberg Rassy would be very good for sailing up here and should be affordable. HRs are very popular up here and not accidentally -- they are designed for exactly this kind of sailing. NOT daysailing in the med on sunny days!
Yes, the Hanse Moody is out of our budget (add a bit more and you can get a new Outremer).

It is, however, of the mentioned models so far, the one with the best protection from the elements. As in: it appears you can go inside to enjoy the heating and still see what's happening outside. I don't know what the performance of that is, though. The 54DS is built using the Hanse 575 mould, but slower obviously because of all the extra weight, so I don't know how the 45DS compares to the 458.

I think our current Hanse works up here (in sometimes freezing water and air) better than all my previous boats, but some nights especially, I wouldn't mind "stepping inside" for a while.
Old 19-04-2021, 03:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Nice boat.

LOVE the center cockpit.

Hymyä ja hyvää tuulta!
Hyvää tuulta! I hadn't actually though about the Hanse Moody so thank you for that!

It ticks a lot of the boxes actually! But it's above our budget, and for that amount of money, it would be nice to add just a bit more and get a catamaran
Old 19-04-2021, 03:02   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
It's not a "fair-weather sailing boat", come on! Up here you add a sprayhood, a heater, and you're all the way CE A good to go!

It's still a surfboard!

I sailed on a surfboard-like Swan 60 with Samuli Leisti once (was the Team Finland entry in the Nordstream race that year). The crew complained bitterly about the deck arrangement, which is just like that Hanse. Nothing to hide behind, nothing to hold on to. Totally impractical for anything other than daysailing; purely a fashion statement.

I highly recommend getting some time on an HR!
Walt Whitman
Old 19-04-2021, 03:05   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, the Hanse Moody is out of our budget (add a bit more and you can get a new Outremer).

It is, however, of the mentioned models so far, the one with the best protection from the elements. As in: it appears you can go inside to enjoy the heating and still see what's happening outside. I don't know what the performance of that is, though. The 54DS is built using the Hanse 575 mould, but slower obviously because of all the extra weight, so I don't know how the 45DS compares to the 458.

I think our current Hanse works up here (in sometimes freezing water and air) better than all my previous boats, but some nights especially, I wouldn't mind "stepping inside" for a while.

Yes, I think that an actual pilothouse is a really great thing to have up here. And the 45DS is kind of a giant pilothouse -- I think a very good arrangement for up here, only I don't know whether it will sail ok with all that windage.

There's always Nauticat . . .
Walt Whitman
Old 19-04-2021, 03:12   #11

Quote:
It's still a surfboard!

I sailed on a surfboard-like Swan 60 with Samuli Leisti once (was the Team Finland entry in the Nordstream race that year). The crew complained bitterly about the deck arrangement, which is just like that Hanse. Nothing to hide behind, nothing to hold on to. Totally impractical for anything other than daysailing; purely a fashion statement.

I highly recommend getting some time on an HR!
I'm accepting invitations to your Moody as well
Old 19-04-2021, 04:25   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm accepting invitations to your Moody as well

You got it. We should be in Marienhamn after our race at the end of June. Maybe you can show your favorite spots in Archipelago Sea.
Walt Whitman
Old 19-04-2021, 07:03   #13

Quote:
You got it. We should be in Marienhamn after our race at the end of June. Maybe you can show your favorite spots in Archipelago Sea.
Thank you and thumbs up for a good race and fair weather!

It’s just amazing here now, btw. Summer weather! +17 degrees. Sorry if these are the two days of summer you were talking about.
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 10:44   #14

Here's a Nauticat: https://www.yachtworld.fi/veneet/201...at-37-3710276/
Old 19-04-2021, 17:47   #15

Quote:
How about this situation? From Hamburg, a 40-foot deck salon yacht with the room of a 45-footer.

https://www.sirius-yachts.com/yachts/40ds/

That'd be my choice if I had the $$$