Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 02:58   #76

Boat: Moody Carbineer 52
Re: Ahoy Carbineer 46 Owners

A bit of a sideline on all the much-appreciated advice above: I don't have any charts with me, so I Google-mapped Eden. And I found on their map lots of very straight lines apparently under the sea. Has anyone else noticed these? Are they some kind of photographic aberration, or maybe a record of ships' wakes, or - least likely - due to actual trenches in the sea-bed (comms cables?)? Or - even more far-fetched?? - trawler damage?
keithw88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:16   #77

On my iPad one of the fine lines is a navy ship and the rest are writing saying “2018 Google” when I magnify them.

The long dock East Boyd Bay is a navy dock, there is a brilliant anchorage to the west of the dock.

The only problem is they chase the anchored boats out when loading explosives.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:34   #78

Dinghy on davits?
Over this northern hemisphere winter I have had some wear pads glued onto my dinghy where it bears up against the undersides of the davits. The pads are made up of a combination of rubber strips and flexible nylon. Now I have got the bill, I think I should have looked harder for a cheaper solution!
I have the original davits, the horizontal "legs" of which are very square sections (not rounded like more modern davits). The outer legs are of inverted C sections and telescope inside the inboard fixed parts (which are closed to form square tube). Therefore the dinghy comes up against very unfriendly edges outboard, though the inboard contact points are better. After trying various temporary paddings, I concluded pads on the dinghy were the way to go, hence my rather complex solution. I think I have managed to attach a pic.
I have since had a canvas cover fitted over the RIB, so the raw edges you can see are largely covered.
I see lots of people whose davits have more modern rounded sections just fit leather patches, but one Avon RIB I saw recently had pads on the dinghy seemingly made from extra Avon rowlocks cut down to form channels like mine.
Has anyone found an effective long-term solution to the wear problem which is less expensive than mine?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1517484117.444122.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	163210
Old 01-02-2018, 04:03   #79

Olaf: I am referring to lines well offshore - about 100 miles out just outside the drop-off at the edge of the continental shelf, it seems. Particularly a wide "trench" about NNE/SSW. Do you see these? (I am using Google Maps on a large iPad; just checked Google Earth and it's the same.)
Keith
Old 06-06-2018, 06:11   #80

Boat: Laurent Giles designed Carbineer 46

I have been away for a while sailing a Moody 49 in tne Med . So now back on bostd Katrina III and ready to start doing some work on board. My teak decks need work & my generator needs the head pulled off & valves done. I migt need to get a job for a while to get her sorted out.
Moody Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 15:48   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithw88 View Post
Dinghy on davits?
Over this northern hemisphere winter I have had some wear pads glued onto my dinghy where it bears up against the undersides of the davits. The pads are made up of a combination of rubber strips and flexible nylon. Now I have got the bill, I think I should have looked harder for a cheaper solution!
I have the original davits, the horizontal "legs" of which are very square sections (not rounded like more modern davits). The outer legs are of inverted C sections and telescope inside the inboard fixed parts (which are closed to form square tube). Therefore the dinghy comes up against very unfriendly edges outboard, though the inboard contact points are better. After trying various temporary paddings, I concluded pads on the dinghy were the way to go, hence my rather complex solution. I think I have managed to attach a pic.
I have since had a canvas cover fitted over the RIB, so the raw edges you can see are largely covered.
I see lots of people whose davits have more modern rounded sections just fit leather patches, but one Avon RIB I saw recently had pads on the dinghy seemingly made from extra Avon rowlocks cut down to form channels like mine.
Has anyone found an effective long-term solution to the wear problem which is less expensive than mine?
Attachment 163210
I use those swiming pool noodles. I split them & slide over the flat bar section of my davits & use wire ties to hold in place. I also run a line through a noodle on both sides of the davits to tie the dingy an AB up tight when we are sailing. The noodle prevents the rope chaffing the hypalon. Its a cheap & neat solution easily replaced when worn.
Old 07-06-2018, 22:30   #82

That sounds good! Can you post some photos?
Old 07-06-2018, 23:28   #83

There you go
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9176B770-5DD9-4849-B033-159B3540B7C8.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	171269   Click image for larger version

Name:	3A57C9D4-7C7A-4EF3-A12F-A1C50A652E92.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	374.4 KB
ID:	171270  

Old 08-06-2018, 04:00   #84

Will store that idea, thanks again. Also interesting are your davits: were they made esp for you? And what looks like sheet-track: is that just a brace or do you sheet your mizzen off that?
I append a photo of “Equilibre” (for interest, its shows no detail relevant to this!).
FYI I had runnersfor my mizzen but now use a split backstay of Dyneema from my davits arms..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E285EC02-F429-4A5A-9031-7BA384333A5F.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	171273  
Old 08-06-2018, 13:36   #85

Hi Keith
Yes that brace between my davit arms is also my mixzzen sheet track. They were custom built at time of manufacture & are combined with the push pit , rear seats & a couple of large bollards . It’s very strong & has been copied by others . I have found people taking pics on few occasions. I like your boat is it a 52 it looks a bit longer than mine. I almost bought Union Pacific a 52 that was for sale in the UK but Katrina came up & was much closer to home.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2B39FA98-6FD1-4C56-98C4-D2EDA0319DE9.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	171289   Click image for larger version

Name:	A41B67BB-3F80-405A-8725-EFA79197FCF0.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	171290  

Old 08-06-2018, 23:30   #86

Yes, it's a 52. I have built a swinging pushpit which serves as a seat-back (which you have and I guess like me you find it to be a great seating position) but, as I am in the Med (well, only till the end of this Northern summer), I need an aft gangway, so I cannot install a track between the davits arms as you have ( and which I reckon is a really good arrangement otherwise). Maybe I will get rid of the gangway when we are shipped to Aus/NZ, but (because I want to facilitate swimmers being able to get back on board up a ladder off the stern) even then I am not sure I can engineer a couple of bollards or even cleats for stern cross-lines, so I envy you them. Where/how are your bollards set up?
I have had built a (s/s) side ladder for getting on/off the dinghy, but it's cumbersome. The boat originally had a wooden set of steps for the side gates, but I discarded them - maybe another mistake, they were lighter than my 'improvement'! Do you have some kind of ladder arrangement either side or just off the stern? Pros and cons?
BTW, although "Equilibre" is longer than the 44/46s, the usable space is not much increased. I only have 5 berths, and only one good sea-berth (in the mid-cabin - the stern cabin has a nice big double which is not so good when sailing); tho the saloon sofa adds one more berth which is really my favoured spot for longer trips. I offered to buy a 44 a few months before I bought this boat and reckon that could have been a really good boat after spending a lot of money (which turned out to be equally true of this lovely vessel!).
Old 08-06-2018, 23:38   #87

I bought 'L'Equilibre" in Palma, Mallorca, five years ago. It was registered to a Swiss, who had bought it from the original owner and had kept it for about 30 years.
I simplified the name to 'Equilibre" and re-registered it on the UK Registry (they gave me back its original reg number, which was nice).
I have done/had done a huge amount of work, but its becoming 'my' vessel now - I guess you know how that goes, it takes a long time to feel you have changed nearly everything you noticed when you bought it, but thought you would 'live with', but which you later just have to sort out..
Old 08-06-2018, 23:40   #88

I have ladder & swim board on the stern that I access through the davits . The mizzen traveler is good to hang onto as I climb down. I have to lower the dingy first .
I was in the Med last month. I sailed a Moody 49 from Canne to Preveza. I understand the need for a parasol in the med. The Moody 49 has a hydraulic unit with remote control . I still think a folding type could work from the rear of mine with a little bit of redesign.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	754B5F2B-40F1-47D8-BA0F-D440061AD504.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	171304   Click image for larger version

Name:	2B1D38DF-0620-4562-B1F8-8B77BA141EC9.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	378.0 KB
ID:	171305  

Name:	56D977DF-A341-4639-B771-380BB9094C73.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	171306  
Old 08-06-2018, 23:53   #89

I have an idea to extend my transom around 6 inches & fit a hydraulic fold down swim board that fits flush like on my Moody 54 . I could put a walk through transom if I move my life raft to the foredeck . This would allow a shower on the swim deck with a built in extendable swim ladder.
Old 09-06-2018, 14:00   #90

Seems that wd require a lot of engineering, but when done wd be great. I wd lose a useful stern cockpit locker if I followed that route, but if grandkids want it I might copy you!