Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2016, 09:42   #1

Agm batteries....who's the best or worst?

This has probably been asked but I did one see it, so thought I would ask. I'm getting ready to replace the house bank and want. I want to squeeze as many amps as I can into the equation.

I don't want to start a food fight on the subject but what are the best batteries or what are the brands to stay away from.....my impressions are the lifeline and Victron are good.

Also while I have read as much as I can find about Firefly batteries, does anyone have any supporting evidence to support the limited info?
blue otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 10:13   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Agm batteries....who's the best or worst?

I've had good service from Rolls and Bottom AGMs. Terrible service from Northstar.
Old 13-08-2016, 10:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My Lifeline AGM 8D bank was commissioned in 2002 and it's still going strong. In fairness, it spends most of the time on solar trickle-charge. Every year or two we go on a two-month excursion where we take the bank down to 50% or so every couple of days, and recharge with solar and alternator. We also have the occasional multi-day trip with heavy battery use, and I do an annual 24-hour load test. The capacity may have dropped a little, but not much in these 14 years of irregular use, so I'm happy with the Lifelines.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 10:29   #4
cruiser

Paul,

I was also planning on starting a similar thread today. Next season, I need to replace the battery bank. Which to choose lead acid, AGM or Lithium ion? Does the AGM battery bank charge up any faster than lead acid using a 10kw generator?

Most of the power coming from our generator just seems to be wasted since it takes so long to charge the batteries. Solar isn't really a viable option in our case, since switching to lithium would cost about the same all inclusive. Then the generator will charge those up quickly.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 12:11   #5

Our 8D AGM are on a solar "trickle charge" all week long when we are not aboard... and they are always topped up... 12.8.... We don't take them down much because we use the high output alt a few times a day when leaving or entering the anchorage. They are 2012 UNIVSERSAL 250AH:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-02-23 12.58.17.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	457.5 KB
ID:	129504  
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 12:52   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I've had good service from Rolls and Bottom AGMs. Terrible service from Northstar.
Stupid spell check. That is Rolls and Victron
Old 13-08-2016, 14:57   #7

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

There's a new process out there "Carbon Foam AGM" the Firefly Battery. They haven't been out long enough to determine a real lifetime, but initial testing is very impressive. Practical Sailor and Nigel Calder have good things to say about them.

Disclaimer: I won one in a contest on this site, though with my current use case, I'd probably be fine with the car battery that the boat came with...
tenchiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 03:48   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue otter View Post
I don't want to start a food fight on the subject but what are the best batteries or what are the brands to stay away from.....my impressions are the lifeline and Victron are good.

Also while I have read as much as I can find about Firefly batteries, does anyone have any supporting evidence to support the limited info?

We've had good service with Odyssey PC-2150 (Group 31) AGM. Oldest bank is midway through it's 11th season. Our batteries are usually on the charger from shorepower, or charged via genset 2x/day, always recharged soon after extra heavy use.

An independent Firefly owner has posted a very useful "after 1 year" review somewhere, either here or on trawlerforum.com.

FYI, Bruce Schwab (Firefly guy) is a member here and on TF.

If you want to improve your deep cycling capabillity with 6V AGM golf cart batteries instead of 12V AGM, Lifeline makes those. I think Trojan does now, too, and Trojan has a pretty good reputation for FLA golf cart batteries... so that might apply to their AGM versions.

-Chris
Old 14-08-2016, 09:55   #9

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
If you want to improve your deep cycling capabillity with 6V AGM golf cart batteries instead of 12V AGM, Lifeline makes those. I think Trojan does now, too, and Trojan has a pretty good reputation for FLA golf cart batteries... so that might apply to their AGM versions.

-Chris
Can you explain how the deep cycling is improved by using 6v rather than 12v? I have 2 sets of 6v Lifeline AGMs in series because of space limitations.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 10:13   #10

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Can you explain how the deep cycling is improved by using 6v rather than 12v? I have 2 sets of 6v Lifeline AGMs in series because of space limitations.

There are a boatload of threads about it, with more complete description by experts like MaineSail (and see his own Compass Marine site)...

But the short version is that 6V golf cart batteries are said to be truly deep cycling capable -- by design, with thicker plates -- whereas 12V "deep cycle" batteries are said to more often be "dual purpose" with a "deep cycle" label attached.

-Chris
Old 14-08-2016, 11:51   #11

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue otter View Post
This has probably been asked but I did one see it, so thought I would ask. I'm getting ready to replace the house bank and want. I want to squeeze as many amps as I can into the equation.

I had (3) LifeLine 8D AGM batteries on my boat for three years when two of them (house batteries) were taken out by a lightning strike. The one bow thruster battery was fine.

Although I was really happy with the LifeLines, for budgetary reasons I switched to Deka when I replaced. I did a lot of research and the Deka meet or exceed all the LifeLine specs and were about 40% cheaper.

Time will tell if I made a good decision.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 12:05   #12

A couple of years ago, I bought 5 agm batteries from West Marine (West Marine batteries). 3 went bad in about 13 months. West Marine said tough luck, no help. Bought 5 wet cells from NAPA, so far, so good.
johnleeknot2bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 15:15   #13

Boat: Hunter 44DS

I just replaced my six Trojan 6 V batteries with six fullRiver 6 V batteries 250 amp hour each. I wanted as much amp hours as possible and this seemed my best option
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 17:21   #14

Boat: Rawson 30PH

I suggest you look at Firefly carbon foam batteries
Firefly International Energy Co | Innovation takes Wings!
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2016, 20:58   #15

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I just replaced my 12 year old 4D Lifelines with new Lifelines. Cheapest I found was at sepbatteries.com.

I seriously considered and investigated wet cells (again) and everytime I come to the same conclusion: I don't want and cannot be a babysitter for my batteries, I want quicker charging, and above all I want the best safety (no gas, no spillage). This favors AGM.

I think the evidence given in this thread previously, shows that there are some AGM's out there that are less robust than Lifeline and I would stay away from those.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm