Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2018, 08:01   #1

After sale service

An Amel owner hit a reef and broke off the lower unit of his retractable bow thruster. Not quite sure exactly how that happened, but it did. These are units that were designed and built in house by Amel, but have been out of production for many years.

His boat was built in 1982. He called the factory. Using the old blueprints, they built him a new one--from scratch--and delivered it to the Caribbean in less than a month.

Now of course, they can't get everything. Parts built by other companies that are out of production are sometimes just not available any more. But the amount of help this company gives to owners of their older boats is amazing.

I know this kind of service is exceptional in the industry, but is it unique? Are there other boat manufacturers you can call for unusual and/or custom parts for boats long out of production?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 09:10   #2

Re: After sale service

1) I would think that any company will give you business if you give them enough money for their troubles (i.e. the supply is there).

2) I think that the percentage of owners of older vehicle owners (cars, boats, planes) who would approach the manufacturer for such things in exceedingly low (i.e. there is little demand).

We must remember that the used vehicle we bought for $100k might cost $1million if new. Thus when the factory provides you a new part for your old boat, if the part is custom, then you should expect to pay the relative percentage of $1million that it costs the factory to make the part.

Many "older vehicle entusiasts" place a premium on utility as well as very cost-conscious maintenance practices; in this regard the factory doesn't per se offer the owner/boat more utility than can be procured through other means and almost certainly is the most expensive place through which to obtain parts/get work done.
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale, service