Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2014, 23:10   #1
rrn

Boat: newport II 30
affordable steering and auto pilot

i am making changes to my newport 30 i am removing my pedestal steering i want to add hydraulic and i am not sure if i should use an tiller pilot as it is probably less expensive i want a combination that i don't have to unhook my auto pilot just to take the wheel any suggestions
Old 24-06-2014, 23:31   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: affordable steering and auto pilot

Why do you want to take a relatively simple mechanical system with some needed feed back and replace it with a relatively expensive numb system that is difficult repair?? A wheel pilot would be an easy addition that should work on your boat. Took me a couple of hours to install the one on my boat and I just had to flip a lever and turn it on to steer the boat. If you have something against the one's available from the big guys, CPT makes a simple pilot that has plenty of power for almost any boat.

Then of course there's the question of why a wheel on such a small boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 04:20   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

hydraulic steering for a 30' boat
Old 25-06-2014, 07:40   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I don't understand. You are taking off the current wheel mechanical system and adding a wheel hydraulic system - and are considering using a tiller pilot? How does the tiller pilot enter into this? Are you also adding a tiller to the wheel system?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 09:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't understand. You are taking off the current wheel mechanical system and adding a wheel hydraulic system - and are considering using a tiller pilot? How does the tiller pilot enter into this? Are you also adding a tiller to the wheel system?

Mark
Yes, same question. Removing a pedestal but adding hydraulic? What kind of hydraulic? Any I know of needs the pedestal and wheel to work. A hydraulic tiller? If not a tiller then where are you connecting a tiller pilot.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 22:06   #6
rrn

ok well i am considering changing the pedestal cable steering from the center of the cockpit i want a steering wheel on the house and i plan to add a pilot house so i can free up my cockpit so i can land salmon easier i am also considering putting in a trolling cockpit and raising the deck so i can install a fish hold in my aft bunk it is a lot of work a big commitment and the boat is in great shape now i am concerned that unless all of my design s are flawless it may be a lot of expense and just depreciate the boat value i love sailing but i also love the idea of commercial fishing and the standard cockpit design just is to hard to work around i want to thank everyone for there valid and great questions as i helps me to think it through
Old 28-12-2016, 22:17   #7
rrn

and yes i have a pedestal and a tiller i modified the tiller it is short enough to connect the tiller pilot to with the pedestal in place but very little room for legs as i have the shortened tiller arm off to starboard at about a 45 degree to the original amidship position and it works great i can still work the sails and furling system with the tiller pilot on and i had a custom 11 inch wheel so i can walk around the pedestal without climbing over the cockpit seats and i lash my big wheel out of the way so if i wanna sail for a lengthy trip i can do so with the larger wheels out tiring still trying to set every thing up so its really really fluid motions though oh i have a windmill mast in the aft cockpit also i am considering adding another mast on the starboard side so i can move my radar of the stern rail mount onto the mast then the roof of my pilot house can tie both masts together and they can support the roof for the pilot house and the trolling cockpit and then remove the aft rail and kicker so i can fish astern with out being encumbered
Old 28-12-2016, 22:26   #8

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

"Commercial fishing" out of your Newport 30 which will have a fish well in place of a quarter berth.
As you are a lover of both sailing AND "commercial fishing" why not sell the Newport then buy a "commercial fishing boat" AND.....then buy a Laser, or a Hobie?
And the "commercial" fish well wont cause any listing at all?
Or is there something obvious to others which I can't see?
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2016, 22:38   #9
rrn

well money is an issue and it would be a small step at a time to complete work also the small cost of fuel with a 13.5 diesel is attractive especially when the winter kings are sparse and as far as listing that is another consideration also as i would also be installing trolling poles just astern of my mast so i could still let my main boom swing wide enough to catch the good down wind i could use the troll pole to off set some of the list as well as move some of my wood supply for my wood stove or set my fish hold more across the shaft alley although some heat issues from the engine room may come into play
thank you brianlara 3 for not just trying to shoot my plan outa the water as there are things to overcome and for awhile i might just troll out of a skiff but i like to be in side when just dragging my gear waiting for the bite
Old 28-12-2016, 22:42   #10

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Welcome RRN.
B.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering