Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2021, 18:08   #1

Advise needed from experienced sailers ROBERTS 40

Hi,

We are new to sailing.
We have had a few lessons and made the decision to sail from Australia to Europe during the coming years.

Our plan is to purchase a boat and start learning while slowly getting on our way.

Our thoughts are to purchase a boat that is big enough as we are tall people. We also prefer steel as we feel saver as it is more robust when hitting something. Maintenance of steel is something I can do myself. We also prefer a long keel as we prefer stability over speed. Other than that we just need a boat that can do the job.

We have our eye on the boat in the link below. I have not found any reviews on this model. So I am hoping to receive some advise/opinions from more experienced sailors here.

Thanks you

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...f-40-ft/222069
wimsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 18:01   #2

Re: Advise needed from experienced sailers ROBERTS 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimsailing View Post
Already sold...

Sorry I have no knowledge of a Roberts 40 - but then, you're on the other side of the world. Maybe it's a boat native to Auz.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 18:21   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advise needed from experienced sailers ROBERTS 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Already sold...

Sorry I have no knowledge of a Roberts 40 - but then, you're on the other side of the world. Maybe it's a boat native to Auz.
No.. They are mainly DIY boats, you buy the plans then weld em up or contract a yard to do it for you..
https://www.bruceroberts.com/SAILBOA...LBOAT_KITS.htm

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 22:20   #4

Boat: Other peoples

Lots of Roberts about. Seem to be good value for liveaboards.
Another couple for sale. https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...s-class/256193 and https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...xtended/256091 and https://www.tradeaboat.com.au/detail...ruising-vessel
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 00:35   #5

Boat: 1980 Bristol 35.5

I've never understood some people's obsession with metal boats. I think it's a myth that they are more robust. Steel and salt water don't mix. Steel doesn't flex and give like fiberglass does. I think there is a reason that sailboats in major production went from wood to fiberglass, mostly skipping the steel age. When a fiberglass hull is laid, it becomes one solid piece. Metal hulls are many separate panels of metal with many welds that can corrode and crack, particularly if the welder didn't do a good job. Bruce Roberts kit boats were often built by amateurs, welding them in a shed in their back yard. Do you really want to trust your life to a boat built by someone who learned how to make really good, bubble free welds,.....half way through his project?

Every blog and vlog I've followed, of people who bought used metal boats, told of having to rebuild large sections of hull with welding involved. Steel plate construction seems fine for freighters and battle ships, but not so much for smaller pleasure craft. I think it's a myth that metal boats are stronger. You don't often hear about fiberglass boats getting torn, anymore than metal boats, unless you ground one on a rocky shore in a pounding surf.

Check out MJSailing and all the expensive xraying and welding they had to have done on their used aluminium boat.

And then this guy:

https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/steel-boat-blues.html
Midwesterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 00:37   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

Wimsailing, Roberts boats can be hit or miss depending who built it. I have surveyed some shockers that prove beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Good luck with your search.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:51   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Advise needed from experienced sailers ROBERTS 40

Click image for larger version

Name:	R1ecd899c2d33e27b405544051bbbe98e.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	233681
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
No.. They are mainly DIY boats, you buy the plans then weld em up or contract a yard to do it for you..
https://www.bruceroberts.com/SAILBOA...LBOAT_KITS.htm
A couple of boats from Maurice Griffeths.. another home build designer from that Era...
A Tidewater 30 and an Eventide 26..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77076_BoatPic_Main.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	233682  

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:09   #8

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

If you are after a cheap liveabord yacht in Australia you will come across a lot of Roberts yachts. Quite a few previous discussions, see the links below.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rt-234864.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ts-227450.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rs-224058.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ch-157141.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-214788.html

good luck.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 23:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterner View Post
I've never understood some people's obsession with metal boats. I think it's a myth that they are more robust. Steel and salt water don't mix. Steel doesn't flex and give like fiberglass does. I think there is a reason that sailboats in major production went from wood to fiberglass, mostly skipping the steel age. When a fiberglass hull is laid, it becomes one solid piece. Metal hulls are many separate panels of metal with many welds that can corrode and crack, particularly if the welder didn't do a good job. Bruce Roberts kit boats were often built by amateurs, welding them in a shed in their back yard. Do you really want to trust your life to a boat built by someone who learned how to make really good, bubble free welds,.....half way through his project?

Every blog and vlog I've followed, of people who bought used metal boats, told of having to rebuild large sections of hull with welding involved. Steel plate construction seems fine for freighters and battle ships, but not so much for smaller pleasure craft. I think it's a myth that metal boats are stronger. You don't often hear about fiberglass boats getting torn, anymore than metal boats, unless you ground one on a rocky shore in a pounding surf.

Check out MJSailing and all the expensive xraying and welding they had to have done on their used aluminium boat.

And then this guy:

https://www.sailboat-cruising.com/steel-boat-blues.html
Cutting out sections and simply welding in a new piece is far quicker, cheaper and more durable than osmosis and separation repair of glass boats both on the hull and deck. Weird how then u went on to Aluminum that has other pros and cons but again far stronger than glass. production boats went to fiber glass for a very good reason- cheap to make.
Old 02-03-2021, 23:54   #10

Boat: Volkscruiser

Lucky Luke 1 that all sounds good, but the average amateur is not going to weld a plate into a hull. That is a serious skill set. Yet most hacks can wield a grinder and mix a bit of epoxy to repair osmosis.
I have seen a few sailors financially crippled when their steely has been slipped and she urgently needs to be sand blasted and painted.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 00:14   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke 1 View Post
Cutting out sections and simply welding in a new piece is far quicker, cheaper and more durable than osmosis and separation repair of glass boats both on the hull and deck. Weird how then u went on to Aluminum that has other pros and cons but again far stronger than glass. production boats went to fiber glass for a very good reason- cheap to make.
If only it was that simple, keep in mind rust never sleeps. The problem with old steel boats particularly in the lower price range is that they are old steel boats, sometimes you can get a boat for free and you paid to much!

Not trying to turn you off your dream, I encourage you to go for it. I started of where you are and since then gone a tonne of cruising and been around alot of boats, Trust me , you dont need steel and full keel, your inexperience doesn't know this.

Find a good condition fiberglass boat and listen to people like fore and aft.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:32   #12

There is another Roberts 40 for sale at the moment, fiberglass built in 2006 and asking under $40,000. Lots of gear etc. Looks like a good deal.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 17:36   #13

Lol, I have been eyeing this boat for a while now and got sold a few hours after I listed the post (Might be a good thing looking at the comments).

Thank you all for the detailed information, really appreciated! I had no idea that the Roberts were DIY boats, no wonder I could not find reviews of the same model .

I will also have another look at the different types of epoxy boats and keels. Are their any recommendations on what epoxy type is the strongest?
wimsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 22:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Lucky Luke 1 that all sounds good, but the average amateur is not going to weld a plate into a hull. That is a serious skill set. Yet most hacks can wield a grinder and mix a bit of epoxy to repair osmosis.
I have seen a few sailors financially crippled when their steely has been slipped and she urgently needs to be sand blasted and painted.
Cheers
I'm probably a little less concerned about wielding than some as my next door neighbor teachers wielding at Tafe and one of my best mates is a structural welder by trade. Also when i've paid to have wielding work done by professionals it was always inexpensive.
I dare say that if someone is going broke from a sand blast and paint they should not be sailing and its something that anyone can do themselves. Was watching a you tube yesterday of a fiber glass boat that grounded its keel and the repair is a HUGE job. and of cause there are some horror stories of delamination and even decks that have come away from the hull.
I dare say there are horror stories of any hull type. Did you see the deck come away from the hull on the catamaran Parlay revival? Scary stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
If only it was that simple, keep in mind rust never sleeps. The problem with old steel boats particularly in the lower price range is that they are old steel boats, sometimes you can get a boat for free and you paid to much!

Not trying to turn you off your dream, I encourage you to go for it. I started of where you are and since then gone a tonne of cruising and been around alot of boats, Trust me , you dont need steel and full keel, your inexperience doesn't know this.

Find a good condition fiberglass boat and listen to people like fore and aft.
True as, I'm just learning but there seems to be pros and cons of all the materials and what someone owns often becomes whats best, which it may be for them but maybe not for someone else. I know my local marina is mainly steel. But then it is on Bass straight and Tasmania seems to be a rough place to boat. Some huge trees in the water on the west coast. Most of the high end sport fishing boats here are Aluminium.
Ive owned a cuddy cabin in fiberglass and ended up spending some time and money fixing transoms and floor rot in that. My aluminium tinny just gets treated terribly and costs $0..lol

Just judging by this forum there are allot of people who prefer steel over glass and aluminum over booth. Not all boats fit everyone seems to be the mantra.

keep in mind Australian steel is decent steel.

Was a Bruce Roberts advertised not long ago in Corten steel built by a shipyard, think it was in Western Australia. Miner with money to spare?
Old 04-03-2021, 22:04   #15

I was at the marina today. Perhaps me stating that most were steel is not correct. But they are certainly well represented.
In fairness we did have a flood in 2017 that destroyed 17 boats and most of those would of been wood or glass and the ranks of keel boats has not recovered since. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-...floods/8591448

Tags
enc, sail