Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2020, 09:53   #31

Boat: Motiva 42 Ketch
Re: Advice requested on these 4 blue water yachts for a circumnavigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
My wife sums it up as follows. “If it’s not Dutch, it’s not much”.
Aluminum. Pilothouse.
A smoked eel. A bottle of aquavit. A woman who can navigate better than you. All you need. Happy trails to you.
Roll credits.
Captain Mark and his boatbuilding manatees.
That's a quote I like!
svenkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:33   #32

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Of course I can fully agree and add the Dutch built boats. but Danish and Swedish are also just fine!

Just one important lesson; never fall in love with a boat before purchasing her
Old 19-02-2021, 07:30   #33

Hello Svenkei an hello to all other cruisers,

I wonder if you had the opportunity to visit the Motiva and what the results have been.
thanks indeed
cumulant38f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 04:01   #34

Hi "cumulant38f",

Welcome to the community and thanks for the timely question. I have indeed visited both yachts (a 39S and 42 Ketch). Both Motiva's but in many ways very different yachts.

Overal I am impressed by the build quality. The steel is in very good condition inside and out. Woodwork and joinery shows craftmanship. Only point of attention is de wooden toe rail. Wood on steel requires constant attention. I think I would replace it by a steel rail as well.
I love the pilot house, it is a feature I personally really like and got me to look into Motiva's in the first place. The added benefit is space for a sizeable engine room below the pilot house.
The layout of the yacht offers room for 4 full time cruisers with capacity for more if temporary needed. Most requirements for creature comforts while cruising are available including 1000L water, 1000L diesel and ample storage space. All areas in the yacht have standing headroom (~2m). This vertical clearance does result in more freeboard particularly near the stern although I do not think it is extensive. Vertical clearance also means that the center cockpit is positioned somewhat higher up than seen on most yachts. I hope it does not result in too much uncomfortable motion.
The thing people should be aware of with Motiva's is the not so spacious "feel" of the yachts interior. The combination of a pilot house and center cockpit results in a clear compartmentalization. Combined with a somewhat conservative beam (~3.6m) results in a layout that is far from the spacious interiors found on modern wide beam full length cruisers. For example, there are two smaller salon settees, one in the pilot house and one in the galley area, instead of one large one as seen on most yachts. They still seat 4 persons comfortably though. This really is a personal preference and I am quite happy with it. The interior on the other hand is bluewater friendly, always something to brace yourself agains or grab a hold of.

Strong rig on both yachts. I have a slight preference for a single mast setup but I could not come to an agreement with the owners of the 39S. So, I am about to close the deal on the 42 Ketch instead. Much looking forward to it.

Do you have an interest in Motiva's? Judging your screen name you are from Europe and most likely from the Netherlands like me. I am curious to learn more ...
Old 21-02-2021, 06:33   #35

Thank you for the precise information!
I am located in the south of Germany. Years ago we had a HJB Cumulant38, with witch we were very happy. Of course we had to learn what it means to own an older steel boat . Now after kids leaving and work coming to an end it is boating time again.
So yes, I am interested in the motiva yachts, found the add of the 39S and shortly after your threat. The boat with it's strength,Rigg, pilothouse and tank capacities would fit as we target the north.
cumulant38f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 08:22   #36

Great cumulant38f, it's never to late to go cruising again!
Send me a PM and I might be able to tell you more about the 39S.
Old 22-02-2021, 12:45   #37

Boat: CL14 #1179

Are there any issues to look out for on HR’s or any boats that have had their teak removed? Or is this a fairly non-invasive procedure?
Wilyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2022, 23:10   #38

Hi Svenkel. Is the Motiva 39S you saw the same one as the one been sold in Greece? With the teak deck? Thank you.
Old 25-04-2022, 00:03   #39
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilyum View Post
Are there any issues to look out for on HR’s or any boats that have had their teak removed? Or is this a fairly non-invasive procedure?

1000s of screw holes to leak
Old 25-04-2022, 00:37   #40

Hi Svenkel. Is the Motiva 39S you saw the same one as the one been sold in Greece? With the teak deck? Thank you.
Old 26-04-2022, 12:54   #41

Hello George,

Not this one but a similar one also offered by Creo Yacht Brokers. Creo had two 39s models for sale at a given moment (rare) I went out to look at the first that did not have a teak deck.
I can recall you asking me this question before in a PM. Are you still interested in this Motiva?
Old 26-04-2022, 13:29   #42

Hi Svenkei. Thank you for replying. Yes, I am still thinking about this boat, but I think the owner is asking way too much for such an old 39ft steel boat. Which is probably the reason it's not selling. What do you think? Thanks.
Old 29-04-2022, 11:21   #43

Hi George,

It is difficult to say if the price is too high or not. So many factors influencing yacht resell value. Motiva has a good reputation for building quality yachts with fine interior work depending on who did it. It is not your average steel vessel. Then again, it is a few years old; was it maintained well, upgraded regularly and outfitted for your intended usage. If it checks all these boxes the price might be justifiable.

On the flip side, steel boats tend to sell less good in the Med. It's more a cruising ground for fibreglass yachts of the popular brands (on average). You could use it in your favour.
I must add to it that my 42 feet Motiva ketch with allot of upgrades but 5 years older sold for the nearly the same price.
Old 29-04-2022, 12:03   #44

Thank you Svenkel for your honest reply. Although I do like the boat, I'm not prepared to pay such a high price. I have sent them a letter with what I would be willing to pay roughly with no reply. I guess the owner is really not keen on selling yet. Anyway, another issue that scares me is the teak decks and condition of steel underneath.
Thanks again for your help!
Old 30-04-2022, 23:43   #45

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
The 42e I ran had a Selden in-mast system. Not my favorite in-mast, but it worked.
What is your favorite? A lot of the newer boats use Seldén, I've noticed. I guess they have different models as well with maybe some improvements having taken place over the years?

Tags
blue water, circumnavigation, navigation, water, yacht