Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 13:56   #61

Re: Advice on what to do with my empty engine bay.

I knew a guy who had his A4 go on a 30 footer and he was able to fit a small bar fridge in that area. Might be a cool idea for you if you're currently only running with an ice box

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 14:13   #62

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

You're proud of the rig to keep the shaft from pin wheeling. I realized you had another thread with it shown. Get in there with some elbow grease and clean the mess up. It won't go away by itself. It is going to take dirty manual labor. I'd say rent a steam jenny but that would cost a good portion of what you have in the boat. I'm not meaning to sound mean just realistic. Dawn dishwashing soap seems to be good for oil and elbow grease with a good stiff brush. JMHO if you don't like it disregard it.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 15:22   #63

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
You're proud of the rig to keep the shaft from pin wheeling. I realized you had another thread with it shown. Get in there with some elbow grease and clean the mess up. It won't go away by itself. It is going to take dirty manual labor. I'd say rent a steam jenny but that would cost a good portion of what you have in the boat. I'm not meaning to sound mean just realistic. Dawn dishwashing soap seems to be good for oil and elbow grease with a good stiff brush. JMHO if you don't like it disregard it.
hell yeah I'm proud of it! 5 dollar solution to what was apparently a 900 dollar problem according to the ship yard
but yeah I only posted it because someone on this thread was inquiring about how I prevented it from freewheeling.

and yes it's still a mess from when I bought the boat. I had about a million other structural/functional things to take care of and now I am onto cosmetic type things like this.

I'm definitely going the power washer route, since that's what I have access to for free...if I do it myself I will make videos, but some co-workers also have some kids that need to make a little side cash, soooo....
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 00:54   #64

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Vinny, not to be repetitious, but if you don't decide to use a steam cleaner, at least use very hot water. It really makes a difference in getting the old grease loosened up.

Jim
Old 01-10-2015, 03:37   #65

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I've been using a pressure washer in my bilges. It works ok, but doesn't shift really bad grime, and tends to splatter loose crap all over the place. It's a good part of the cleaning process. I would start with hot water and a scrubbing brush and scraper to get the bulk of the crap off, then pressure wash, then go to a steam or hot water again.

I'd definitely get rid of the prop. Even if you leave the shaft in place for now.

I had a hold like this under my cockpit on the folkboat type I used to have. The last owner ripped out the old Stewart Turner and glasses up the aperture and sterntube. Apparently she sailed and steered a whole heap better.

The hold stored a 27lb danforth, a 30lb fisherman's anchor, 21 meters of chain in 3x7 meter lengths, in convenient buckets. 4x50m coils of 12mm nylon rope. 5x 25 litre jerry cans of water. And two water resistant boxes filled with tools.

The jerry cans where hooked up to the main water supply with a movable suction hose.

Each item had it's own lashdown and securing system, so the whole lot stowed in very nicely like a big jigsaw puzzle. And I could get to the anchors, chain and warps quickly.

At sea the 3.5 hp outboard was drained of all fuel and run untill the carby was dry and lashed in over the anchors.

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-10-2015, 04:11   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
Perhaps it's the Mai Tai's?

If nothing else it improve's morale, so keep it coming

I have secured a 2600 psi motorized power washer from a friend, so instead of experimenting with cleaners, I'm just going to hit it with that from the get-go, because..."why not?" lol...There's something about taking a pressure washer to the inside of that dungeon that seems like it will be strangely satisfying

I will try and get some video on the gopro.

Once I break up the hard stuff with the power washer, I have a gallon of concentrated citrus degreaser that I picked up at home depot. I will use it to get rid of anything that may be left over.
Yea... Probably the liquor... I mean it's usually at least 6AM before I start posting...

I've done the steam route inside the CABIN of the 22'er, it was extremely entertaining... I suspect the GoPro footage to look like the inside of a car wash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Vinny, not to be repetitious, but if you don't decide to use a steam cleaner, at least use very hot water. It really makes a difference in getting the old grease loosened up.

Jim
+1 Jim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I've been using a pressure washer in my bilges. It works ok, but doesn't shift really bad grime, and tends to splatter loose crap all over the place. It's a good part of the cleaning process. I would start with hot water and a scrubbing brush and scraper to get the bulk of the crap off, then pressure wash, then go to a steam or h
Just like they say every time you're released from a Mexican jail...

"Good Luck Mi Amigo"

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 04:58   #67

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I may be out of place with this idea as I really don't have any experience with this kind of a mess. But I cleaned a very dirty oven with baking soda and vinegar. Just mix a paste and brush it on. Worked great!
You know, commercial oven cleaner is often lye based. I mention that to show how tough it can be to clean an oven.
I can imagine a nasty old engine bay would be similar. Cost you 2 bucks to find out....
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:13   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

It will only cost you $1 to try 20 oz of this stuff, my jet ski mechanic swears by it for greasy engine areas:

Bulk LA’s Totally Awesome All-Purpose Cleaner, 20 oz. at DollarTree.com

I don't think the power washer is a very good idea. Soften it up with cleaner then scrape it out with a putty knife followed by a bag of cheap rags.

I've got the same "opportunity" in my new to me Cal 2-27, but the space isn't very accessible due to the aft kitchen arrangement. The countertop is one step of the companionway stairs! Traditionally these ex-engine compartments are just converted to bulk storage as a prior poster commented. A good place for batteries!
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:18   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
It will only cost you $1 to try 20 oz of this stuff, my jet ski mechanic swears by it for greasy engine areas:

Bulk LA’s Totally Awesome All-Purpose Cleaner, 20 oz. at DollarTree.com
A "must have" for every boat owner...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:27   #70

Have fun with the pressure washer. I'm off to play with mine today, have to wash down a house. Worst part will be hauling it up the scaffolding. Going to be a cold wet day!
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:48   #71

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

OK, here you go, some folks will think bad of me for suggesting this but here goes.

Pull out all the loose stuff, soak the whole place down with a good quality automotive degreaser, go out and catch 5 - 10 wild cats shake em up real good dump em in the hole and close the door as fast as you can, after everything settles down it will be spick and span in there.

As an alternative you could use young'uns but they don't usually have enough hair on them therefore it would take several applications.
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:26   #72

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
OK, here you go, some folks will think bad of me for suggesting this but here goes.

Pull out all the loose stuff, soak the whole place down with a good quality automotive degreaser, go out and catch 5 - 10 wild cats shake em up real good dump em in the hole and close the door as fast as you can, after everything settles down it will be spick and span in there.

As an alternative you could use young'uns but they don't usually have enough hair on them therefore it would take several applications.
Not a bad idea...

You know Halloween is coming up. I'm pretty sure I could get some deals on a couple gorilla costumes too. Kind of a spin off of Happys "love dungeon" idea, but it think it might work
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 06:57   #73

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

That empty space would make an excellent "wine cellar".

Anyone who whines, gets sent there.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 13:45   #74

Boat: csy 37

Whatever you do, do not use oven cleaner. You can do serious damage to your eyes. I nearly did.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine